Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
let me begin by saying that im in the process of upgrading both of my rigs.
i have a D44 from a 87' XJ. its 3.54 gears, and 30 splined.

now i have to decide which of my vehicles to put it in.

either:
1. 02' TJ with Tera 4" suspension and 33's. has a D35 that despirately needs replacing. currently with stock 3.07 gears. so my 02' needs a larger axle, gears, and locker added to make any bit of difference. i still have another 4 yrs to pay on this jeep.

2. 94' XJ just bought dirt cheap, and still stock. has the 8.25 rear. 27 splined, and 3.54 gears. here also need gears and lockers. this xj is paid off, so i will be fender chopping and the such.

i realize that this 44 will be a direct bolt for the XJ.

for the TJ...what is there to change for the 44 to bolt up?? i realize spring perches. what about the shock mounts and lca's?

thanks
johnny

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Put it in the TJ, but hang it with LEAVES:D

·
Premium Member
2,214 Posts
Going on your two choice's, I would put it in the TJ. The 8.25 is stronger than a 35. I have beaten my 8.25 w/33s and a lockrite in it for two years and I have had no issue's. The 35, on the other hand, has a tendency to blow up. :)

·
Registered
17,628 Posts
Josh83 said:
Put it in the TJ, but hang it with LEAVES:D
Yup, stick it in the TJ, but go SOA on flat springs in the rear, and ditch the rear coils.. Thats what Id do if I EVER bought a TJ.
Scott

·
Registered
539 Posts
You can put the XJD44 into the TJ along with the 94 XJ's D30 to get matching gears. This keeps your TJ on the road while you regear the 02 TJ D30 and 94 8.25 for the XJ. The brackets for the TJ swap are not cheap, going to leaves in the rear might be easer.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Both XJ axles are smaller in width than the TJ D35. There's the only cosmetic problem you have to worry about. If you're not worried about the front TJ axle being longer than the rear, you're set to go with the XJ's on the TJ.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
all tj / xj / and yj's are 60" from w.m.s. to w.m.s. if you went with a ford 8.8 ( '95 or newer exploder) in either, you could add 5/8" wheel spacers , get 31 spline shafts. + disk brakes! and they are getting cheaper ( under $ 300 ) with 4.10 gears:D

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the responses.

im seeing that brad, and a few others from here have done the TJ rear leaf conversion....im really liking the idea in theory and practice.
those that have done this i'd like some personal do's/dont's. learned lessons, etc.
i have 3 vehicles that are drivable so im in no rush and will be able to take my time and do correct measuring and fabbing.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
sk8zero said:
Both XJ axles are smaller in width than the TJ D35. There's the only cosmetic problem you have to worry about. If you're not worried about the front TJ axle being longer than the rear, you're set to go with the XJ's on the TJ.
Referring to 'Both XJ axles' and regarding the front:

UMMMMMMMmmmmm.......really.....I've got a set of TJ shafts in my XJ D30.........I'm cornfused?

·
Registered
9,338 Posts
sk8zero said:
Yea I would have to say your on crack. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Archie_G said:
You can put the XJD44 into the TJ along with the 94 XJ's D30 to get matching gears. This keeps your TJ on the road while you regear the 02 TJ D30 and 94 8.25 for the XJ. The brackets for the TJ swap are not cheap, going to leaves in the rear might be easer.
I definitely agree with this. Bolt in swap for the front, and you get high pinion in the TJ too.

Although it will be low pinion in the XJ when you are done, the short wheelbased TJ will love you.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
are there members here who have experience with changing the TJ rear to leafs??
ive been looking this swop up for weeks. the only one with a write up is brad kilby. the info on brads swop is in a few websites, but none are that informative.

thanks

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
TOYJ-7 has done the conversion with a Taco rear end and leafs in his TJ. You might PM him and see what he has to say. I'm locating parts for the same basic Toy swap but with a 4Runner rear, but I'm undecided between sticking with coils or going leaf sprung.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Apparently, I'm on "crack", because my XJ axles are 58" and my TJ's are 60". Both front and rear are the original rusted over factory axles. Maybe Chrysler decided to do a little experimenting on the '93's and put 58" axles on them. Oh well...no problem for me, I'm throwing these old axles away anyway. Putting a Waggy 44 up front and a 60 in the rear. So much for my help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
sk8zero said:
Hey JEEPDADDYTJ where can I get the 8.8 for under 300? I have seen these for around $500, but I like your price better!!

·
Registered
596 Posts
Go to JU XJ Forum and pimp the XJ 44...make a bundle because most are all about the bolt in mods...take the $350++ you get for it and buy a 44 from an MJ for $200....

The XJ 44 is more valuable to some guy with an XJ. To cut the perches off and toss it in a TJ is a waste, when you can swing a dead cat around and hit 15 MJ 44's for MUCH less $$....better karma to cut the perches of an MJ 44 and toss it in the TJ ;)

·
Premium Member
3,209 Posts
I did the leaf swap on mine with I stuck a Scout44 in. I didnt put a wrap bar in so it wraps pretty good. I also had a problem with my leafs sagging. I'm planning on swapping back to a 4 link when I put the 14 bolt in.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts