·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let the birds fly.
Performed the search on the following.
XJ front leaf spring conversion.
sbc v8 conversion.
search help came with some great info, except, anyone who has done this, have you modified the subframe at the critical points? or just bolt up the mounts directly to the subframe?
I know a stroked 4.0l (4.7l) puts out about the same power as a sbc stock 350, so no frame mods there?
Front leaf spring hangers, has anyone just bolted the hangers directly to the subframe? (seems like a weak point) or have you welded/bolted flat or angle steel here?

thanx in advance.
Robert.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
I have learned to do a search here !!!....... before I have made my leafspring conversion in my XJ, also with the D44 and SB swap !

Search for users > smartass has leafsprings in XJ and best you take a look at carnagecrew.com for Nicks XJ, he has done best!! .... with mine.:D

Bengt

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AUR-XJ20, I have seen yours, and smartass' XJs, but I couldn't see what was done for frame reinforcement. And yes, I have even seen Nicks XJ, use to visit him frequently at his shop, and for now, that is just too beefy for what I want. Thanx for your pics though, they're great, but my curiousity has still got the best of me. BTW, your XJ looks great. Nicks is KILLER, I haven't seen it since he broke the outer D44 stub, glad to hear that he has a D60 finally.
Rock on and thanx.
Robert.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
many thanx

Thank you for the thread. I was only planning on 35" tires, but my GAWD that XJ looked good. HHMMMMMhhh. back to the drawing board.

Thank you to all who had responded to the thread, you have been a BIG help.
ROCK ON!!
Robert E.
rageontherox

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
May be for some other guys, who will search the PBB for doing leaf springs in a XJ. Some more detailed pics of the mounts which are bolted to the frame.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
next one

Attachments

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
still have more

Attachments

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
if you want more

Attachments

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
It's enough for the servers DB

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Been running the LT1 in my Xj for 5 yrs and haven't messed up the frame yet, at least around the motor mounts. Drop me an email or PM.
Dustin

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have done a LOT of research into the front end conversion, and it now looks to be TOO easy. (Helps to finally have a welder with me now). No biggie on the V8 conversion, now that I have the means to do it. My only concern was the fact that the XJ used a box-tube unibody frame made out of thick sheetmetal, that was what had scared me in the first place. But after reviewing all the threads concerning XJs, I feel as though I really have nothing to worry about, other than making sure the MIG welder controls are set properly. AUR-JX20, you have been a real help with your pics. And to all the others who contributed their time, whether it be directly or indirectly, thank you for your input as well.
Thanx everyone and keep the dream alive.
Robert E.

·
Registered
914 Posts
i've got some good pics of my setup in my webshots account, link is in the sig, email me if you got any more questions, i've done a little more troubleshooting to it since i finished it too.

·
5,599 Posts
kajeepxj said:
i've got some good pics of my setup in my webshots account, link is in the sig, email me if you got any more questions, i've done a little more troubleshooting to it since i finished it too.
DUDE! what did you do to your arm!!:eek:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts