Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having this wierd problem with the Driveline in my 96 XJ(AUTO). After the vehicle warms up everything seems to be fine until I come to a stop sign or light. If I stop abruptly I can feel a *harsh dowshift*(as though I just did a neutral drop) but if I coast into it nice and slow it's fine until I take off, then it kicks down (again like a neutral drop)

I can adjust how harsly all of this happens with how I apply the brakes at the end of a stop or how rapidly I accelerate. Also it does NOT happen when the vehicle is Cold or below 100 degrees.

I was thinking it was my Tranny, but when I shift into 4wd everything performs normally. So now I'm thiniking it is my Rear Ring and Pinion or my transfercase, but then it runs normally when in 4wd so maybe not the X-fer?

I had someone else cycle through D, N, and R gears while I looked under it, and there was a lot of movement at the rear pinion and a much smaller amount when 4wd is engaged.

So anyone else experience problems like this? Have any Idea what the specific cause is?

Anyone ever have ring and pinion gears go bad? what's that like?

PS: for those not farmiliar with a "Neutral Drop" or my terminology of the same. It is when you rev your engine up while in neutral then shift into drive (while still on the gas) in an effort to spin the tires or get a good launch. The effect of this is usually a trashed U-joint(s)/tranny/D-shaft.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Nope! Tranny fluid is SLIGHTLY* above full.

UNLESS you mean in the rear end, but I don't know since you didn't specify??:confused:

I plan on changing/checking the rear axle fluid next week!

Two questions:

If the fluid is low, that means it's been low for over a year. If this is the case, should a gear or axle swap be considered??

How much fluid should I expect to come out of the rear when I drain it??

·
Registered
68 Posts
1. I'm not totaly familiar with that transmission... but...
2. Is it electronically controlled?
3. If so, there's sensors on the clutches to
4. Report the clutch speed to the comptuer, which,
5. In turn, down and upshifts at the correct time.
6. These Output Speed sensors are flakey, at best...
7. And should be changed.
8. An OBDII scanner may tell you if
9. there's an internal Problem with the transmission (which I doubt).

·
Registered
291 Posts
sounds like rearend to me, backlash out of wack or worn gears,
the pinion is turning but it hasnt made full on contact with the ring gear, therefore giving you a neutral drop feeling, when you put it in 4wd the front axle is taking the load off the rear, that why it doesant do it in 4wd. d35 are real shitty (cheap japanese bearings etc..) but 8.25's are really nice axles from my experience with them.

could possibly be speed senser on tranny but, i really think its the gears in the rear

d35 hold about 2 liters of gear oil i believe, if its a little low, dont worry about it, but if its severly low, i would probably rebiuld it or upgrade, depends on how long you have been driving with it that low. my buddie drove his xj around with about half a quart of gear oil for about a week!! and his rear end worked fine before and after he filled it up.

hope this helps!:D

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you want to start cheap and easy but this could be as simple as your tanny filter being dirty. If it was me I would flush and change the fluid and filter in the tranny. I dont know how long it has been since it has been change, but that might be something you might want to look at. But if it is an electronic tranny dont count that out. This just screams tranny fluid contamination of some sort.

·
Registered
114 Posts
This must be the newbie reply thread

As an owner of a 96 XJ I too experienced that very same condition. This is the classic driveline slip yoke bind problem. Try removing your driveshaft and lubing the splines in your slipyoke with a good anti-seize compound or better yet, get the GM special lubricant with a high PTFE content. I would try this before spending any money on parts.

·
Registered
291 Posts
well that would make sense that the driveshaft binds, my buddy in his 86 converted yota, made a front driveshaft for it, well lets just say that it binds alot,has no grease in the slipyoke (no seal or zerk fitting lol) when he lets off the gas in 4wd high you can feel the jerk like someone put the damn brakes on, its weird, anyways you should lube up da yoke before getting crazy!

ohh ya,

bryan C

where do i get that synthetic blinker fluid? do you get that at the honda dealer or chevy lol? :D

·
Registered
308 Posts
J.D. you better get that XJ fixed before we go camping this summer.

Here are a few things to look at to eliminate the easy stuff.
1. Tranny fluid level. (you've checked that)
2. Condition of fluid. Older fluid will lose it's effectiveness over time and use.
3. engine idle speed. While not too important, it could be sending wrong signals to your ECM/PCM thus making the tranny act like it's working under another condition.
4. Throttle valve linkage. This could put your tranny into the wrong shift points. While not that likely, wouldn't hurt to check anyway while you are there.
5. Shift control linkage. May be not a problem, but just make sure that it is properly adjusted.

The above listed is what the basic home mechanic can do. Anything else and it could be in the solenoids, bands and clutches, lock-up torque converter, PCM signal, governor or modulator, servos, shift valves, hydraulic pistons and cylinders, or even the accumulator for the servo to smooth out shifting.

Good luck. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts