Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm new to XJs (totalled my old vehicle), but I think I'm pretty decided on the clayton long arm setup, with various RE components. Actually I'd probably use the whole RE 5.5" kit (minus arms) with the claytons. The clayton setup looks like much better geometry, but i hear so much good crap about RE, should I just stick with the RE arms? I searched and couldn't find much on the claytons (only people who had heard that they were good). I'm not looking to fab my own long arms, either. So, anyone out there who can attest to the strength and articulation of the Hard-Arm setup? This kit looks amazing, but i want more info!

This will be my DD, so on-road performace is important. Sorry for the newbie post :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,308 Posts
My friend who works out of my shop has Clayton's on his XJ. They are great, seem to work well in all conditions and the flex achieved is amazing.

His XJ is going through some major mods and the only thing staying will be the Clayton's. (If they actually do get swapped out they will be going directly under my XJ).

Anyway he is kpj here on PBB. He's gone for the next week though and can't get on the computer much.

You need pics of them just sitting I can swing by his place and take a couple.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
A freind of mine just installed these on his XJ. The quality of construction looked really good. It looks to me like a really well designed setup, and really strong too. He hasn't wheeled it yet, so I dont' know any real world info. This will be a daily driver as well.

For what you get, including the crossmember, it's a decent price too. :D

·
Registered
824 Posts
I've know clayton for a good while now and have seen his ZJ in action before the longarm and after he designed his longarm setup. it's plain out the beefiest thing i've seen come out from a lot of suspension manufacturers. He's an excellent guy to work with as far as service. He's parts are top notch and the kit is every bit as good as it looks.

I've had the XJ kit for over a year now and have tried to beat on it and hasn't flinched a bit. he's even working on a rear coil triangulated 4 link rear for XJ's.

Even clayton is not afraid to beat on his stuff. he's running his original longarm setup that he built 4yrs ago or so which all his kits are modeled after..

http://www.pollakstj.com/zj_clayton.html see for yourself some abuse.:D :D :D

when he's not playing in the snow, he's pointing that thing where VERY few ZJ's go.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Clayton makes a nice arm. I see you are in Reno, drop me an e-mail or PM me I have Clayton's arms on my ZJ with RE coils, you are welcome to stop by and check it out.
Jeff

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info, anyone have any pictures of the setup flexing?

And what setup would handle best on road? RE control arms or Claytons?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm going to go the other way and throw in a good comment for RE. I have their long arms on my TJ and I just helped a friend put them on his XJ. The on-road ride is great and the off-road flex is nice as well. However, I've never even heard of Clayton until this thread so I don't know how they compare. I've had my long arms for over a year now and haven't had any problems or excessive wear with their arms or cartridge joints.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
i heard from JU that Claytons LCA mounts are stress points and can eventually lead to major cracks is this true?:confused:

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Pathmaker said:
Ok, I'm new to XJs (totalled my old vehicle), but I think I'm pretty decided on the clayton long arm setup, with various RE components. Actually I'd probably use the whole RE 5.5" kit (minus arms) with the claytons. The clayton setup looks like much better geometry, but i hear so much good crap about RE, should I just stick with the RE arms? I searched and couldn't find much on the claytons (only people who had heard that they were good). I'm not looking to fab my own long arms, either. So, anyone out there who can attest to the strength and articulation of the Hard-Arm setup? This kit looks amazing, but i want more info!

This will be my DD, so on-road performace is important. Sorry for the newbie post :rolleyes:
You're comparing apples to oranges. The RE 5.5" kit uses short arms and control arm drop brackets. Clayton's kit is a long arm kit and it is the arms only, well the x-member too. I'll leave it up to you to do the research on long vs. short arms and let you make you're own decision as far as that debate goes. Just keep in mind flex isn't the only factor you should be considering. I have Clayton's kit, have had it for over a year now. I beat my XJ pretty hard, especially when trying to keep up with the guy I'm spotting for in ERoCC this year. Clayton's workmanship is hard to match and his kits are beefy to say the least. Mine regularly double as rock sliders and with over a year of abuse on some real trails they have little more than stratches to show for it. Clayton is a real cool guy to deal with and/or shoot the shit with. I'd give the Clayton's kit the knod to anyone who can't fab thier own arms anyday.

·
Premium Member
4,938 Posts
KarmirXJ said:
i heard from JU that Claytons LCA mounts are stress points and can eventually lead to major cracks is this true?:confused:
AND THAT IS EXACTLY WHERE THIS QUESTION BELONGS!!!!! :D

·
5,599 Posts
Pathmaker said:

Im sorry you posted it too!!
BUILD IT YOUR SELF.

:shaking:

·
Registered
750 Posts
Xenodank said:

slightly sarcastic, but still man whats with the mile long sig on Pirate?!?!!?:confused:
His sig chances all the time. I find it quite amusing.

Bigdude is actually a pissed off white guy with a vengence for long kiddish sigs. He'll kick your ass if you don't respect him.

:emb4:

·
Registered
106 Posts
La Mer said:

His sig chances all the time. I find it quite amusing.

Bigdude is actually a pissed off white guy with a vengence for long kiddish sigs.

:emb4:
Is that better or worse than a black man on a short fuse?!?

Big dude your XJ needs a lift!!!!! Fawk tow vehicle and daily driver! This piece of crap heep is my daily still :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts