Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We've seen the front LEAF conversion.. How 'bout rear coils? Anybody done that in an XJ?

EDIT: My guess is... the way the uni-body is, it wouldn't be too good of a setup, but just wondering.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Tomken (I think) came out with one awhile ago. Uni-frame isn't really an issue, since ZJ/WJs are coils all around. I do remember the excitement about the "upcoming" rear coil conversion, but haven't really heard much about it since. Didn't seem like it provided that much better performance than a well built/thought out leaf set-up.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess anybody who would specifically WANT rear coils would just buy a ZJ off the bat. I can't afford too, though...

·
Registered
1,800 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Here's a few pics of my work-in-progress. 1/4" subframe welded in place, and all the mounts are welded to the subframe. All 4 arms are 40" long. I would have liked to mount the LCA's higher on the frame side, but there would be too much anti-squat unless I made the arms even longer. It sits @ 10" of lift, but should settle down to around 8" when I get the fuel cell, bumper, spare, and rear cage finished.

Side view:
http://home.att.net/~j.kaczmarski/wsb/media/123450/site1020.JPG

Rear view:
http://home.att.net/~j.kaczmarski/wsb/media/123450/site1021.JPG

Another rear:
http://home.att.net/~j.kaczmarski/wsb/media/123450/site1022.JPG

Bring the flames . I'd like to fix any problems now-- not on the trail.

-Jon

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
@ cherokee pete

Very courageous to modify the XJ this way, but it is a good solution for 38s. If the welded rear frame sit firmly there will be no problems. What kind of steal (specs) is it. ?

If you would drive on the streets with that in Germany, the polive would kill you at once. Such kind of modification to vehicles are forbidden, even when the technical execution is 120% !!!

·
Registered
824 Posts
cherokee pete: did you use a 'pipe' bender for that tubing? looks kind of like it becuase the outside of the tubing is squashed in the bends....... just curious.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I have seen and wheeled with two XJ's that were coil sprung in the rear.

Both sucked big time compared to a stock set up. Off camber can be really bad, unless you use sway bars front and rear (defeating the purpose of creating flex).

There was a kit produced in France that allowed colis to be fitted in the rear of a stock Cherokee - but I don't think it is still available. AFAIK, Tomken's kit never made it past the prototype stage - offcamber stability being a large problem.

Yes it can be done, in my opinion though, you can spend your money modifying your XJ far more effectively.

Now if you are building it to race Baja style, that's a whole different story. you can also try NAXJA.org and ask there. One of the guys I wheeled with with the coil sprung XJ used to be a member. I think he went by "Brian from NM" or similar on the board.

·
Registered
200 Posts
xj4rocks said:
cherokee pete: did you use a 'pipe' bender for that tubing? looks kind of like it becuase the outside of the tubing is squashed in the bends....... just curious.

Good eye- Yep i used a pipe bender, I know it's WAY better to use a tube bender, but when you'r paying off a big house, the price of a tube bender is out of the question.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Teraflex still has and sells a 6" rear coil conversion. As someone said above it was decided that this setup doesn't really provide any better performance then the leaves in the way. As for the off-camber issue, I would think that could be fixed as I don't belive ZJ's or TJ's have off-camber issues.

·
Registered
201 Posts
just started on my rear coils but it is pretty simple. links are about 1 3/4 3/16 wall and lower are 46 and uppers about 44 3/4
it is a basic four link |\/| with square 2x2 .25" tubing for all the connections to the axle. using stock xj coils and gm leaf spring bushings. it is imitating jimmy from rebelrockrunners.org go to photo galleries/ tellico/ halloween and on the second page it shows the design.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Weasel said:
Teraflex still has and sells a 6" rear coil conversion. As someone said above it was decided that this setup doesn't really provide any better performance then the leaves in the way. As for the off-camber issue, I would think that could be fixed as I don't belive ZJ's or TJ's have off-camber issues.
They do...most of the highly modified ones...still run a rear swaybar connected all the time.

·
Registered
824 Posts
ZJ's have rear coils. the ass end is basically the same as the XJ's.

This ZJ has a great rear coil setup. works great, not tippy at all :D :D Those are the stock upper coil mounts in the rear. (just with no body around them) :flipoff2:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.