Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I SEARCHED AND CAME UP WITH ALMOST NOTHING, I DONT UNDERSTAND HOW...

I HAVE A BUDDY WHO WANTS ME TO MAKE HIM SOME SLIDERS FOR HIS XJ, AND BOLT ON. I WOULD RATHER WELD THEM ON BUT HE IS AGAINST IT. I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE 2 OR 3 MOUNTING POINTS ALONG THE LENGTH OF THE ROCKER, WITH A FOOT OF ANGLE IRON BOLTED UP TO THE UNIBODY. WHAT I DONT KNOW IS HOW YOU CAN GO ABOUT THIS. SEEMS TO ME IT IS TOO THIN TO TAP AND TRUST WITH HOLDING THE WEIGHT OF THE VEHICLE, AND THERE IS NO WAY TO GET THE BOLT ON THE OTHERSIDE OF THE RAIL, UNLESS YOU PEIRCE ALL THE WAY THOUGH THE UNIRAIL AND THEN EVEN IF YOU PLATE IT ON THE BACKSIDE, ITS GONNA WANT TO CRUSH THE RAIL....

PICS ON HOW YOU HAVE DONE IT? THANKS-

MATT

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
ANOTHER WAY IS TO MAKE THREADED PLATES OUT OF LIKE .25" AT LEAST......THEN WELD THOSE PLATES TO THE WANABE FRAME....NOW YOU HAVE THREADED HOLES THAT WILL HOLD UP TO ABUSE......

·
Registered
528 Posts
pull up the carpet inside and drop plates with nuts welded to them inside the "framerail"

make a similar plate on the sliders, bolt them together and sandwich the "framerail" between.

best way to do it :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
rock rails

Most people just bolt through the frame rails and bolt through the pinch seam all along it . The more points the better. Take a look at my website to see how boulderbars.com made theirs. You can also see the damage I did with mine on. I fell very hard on the front edge of it.
Kevin H.

My web page

Boulder bars web page

The bottom of the page of the boulder bars link shows their bars un attached. The rock rails just tap into the frame rails, the pinch seam has nuts and bolts. The key is not one or two strong attachments but to have a whole lot of attachments to spread out the loads.

·
Registered
528 Posts
bolt through the entire rail?

you've got to be kidding me...

unless you weld sleeves in there the rails will crush together. it's only stamped sheetmetal :rolleyes:

bolting through is fine for a mall cruiser

·
Registered
11 Posts
rock rails

when bolting through the rails, they put steel all around it. Like I said, no one point is the strongest, you need to spread it out all over the coke can frame.
KH

1 - 6 of 6 Posts