Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i searched but couldnt find anything, ive got a free stearing box out of 95 xj sitting at my house and wondered if anyone has put one on a toy?

from looking at it i can see the mounting surface is on the opposite side as the toy stock one , so first of all id have to make a new mount on the steering box. i kinda already got it designed in my head but where the steering shaft from the steering wheel bolts to is also on the opposite side so the shatf would be 4 inches toward the fender (which id have to cut) anyone see a problem with this? any suggestions or help would be great

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
First off I will assume you are trying to do this because you have a pre-1986 steering box????

The obvious work will be in making the mounts for the box to the other side. Alot more work than I would want to do that is for sure. But I suppose it could be done. I guess it is just a matter of what your time is worth.

For instance, you will have to get metric to SAE lines for the power steering pump to the box, plus all misc. hardware. Have you looked at Sky-Manufacturing?? I think they have the IFS steering box for cheap....ie...less than $200. Now for the amount of guess work and fabbing that is necessary to get this to work, it may be worth the money to just get the IFS box.

What exact year are you planning on mounting this sucker??
Are you trying to use it merely because it was free??

·
Registered
605 Posts
Dude save all that work sell the jeep stuff buy a 2 wheel drive Chevy truck box Just my 2 cents :)

·
Banned
9,402 Posts
I haven't seen or heard of anyone doing it. so it might be possible. Some things I would be conerned about its what you you mean "it mounts opposite"? I can't remember what Mine use to look like. If that mean on the inside of the frame then you might have a problem with clearance with the header, radiator or Alternator. Also does the pitman arm face forward ot backward would be another major concern. Although that could be a benefit in certain configurations. How does the pitman arm work for overlength and frame clearance? Oh and don't forget about the taper, I would be willing to bet its not right for a FJ-80 style end.

You might want to check out [email protected] Sagina box for ideas.... Oh I'm also pretty sure that all the fitting on the XJ box are metric so that should made it easier.

As for mounting, if your installing high steer, then it worth it in my opinoin to redo all the mounting anyways to make it beefy!

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
4RnrRick said:
I haven't seen or heard of anyone doing it. so it might be possible. Some things I would be conerned about its what you you mean "it mounts opposite"?
If you look at an XJ, the steering box is on the inside of the frame where as the Toy is outboard.

KC

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i dont have 100$ to spend on a box let alone 200$ , i already have a beefy tie rod made out of 1.5 .25 dom with 3/4 heims on each end. ill be using a grade 9 bolt on the pass side and using the same material as the tie rod for the drag link , ill be using the stock steering knuckles and ill use the 9 grade so i can use a spacer to clear springs.

whatn i mean by opposite is that the xj box mounts on the inside of the frame as where the toy mounts on the outside, so il have to build a new mount on the xj box . its going into an 82 toy , replacing the gay push and pull steering. and i already need to buy a 2wd chevy box for my blazer frame/xj body so i can get rid of that gay push and pull steering lol.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
do it to it and let us know how and if it works. you'll be the first to take on such an adventure. be sure to plate inside and outside of the frame and sleeve it, the drilling the hole is the not so fun part. i just recently installed x-over w/ a yota ps box. i put it on my 83 yota and in the future i wouldn't do it again because it was a pain in the ass. have fun:D

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
porterwagner said:
do it to it and let us know how and if it works. you'll be the first to take on such an adventure. be sure to plate inside and outside of the frame and sleeve it, the drilling the hole is the not so fun part. i just recently installed x-over w/ a yota ps box. i put it on my 83 yota and in the future i wouldn't do it again because it was a pain in the ass. have fun:D
ill be building a U braket to slide over the frame to keep it strong

1 - 9 of 9 Posts