Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

As the title says I put a flipped D300 in My 93 XJ. Clocked it flat and cut the tranny tunnel to fit. The front output is tucked way up there.

I ran the cut down stock front shaft for a couple days and had to pull it. I could feel the ujoints ratcheting on themselves- loudly! The ends of the DC joint yokes was slightly worn by contact with the center.

I took angle measurements but I am not sure if I have all the info I need.

Front output yoke points up 6.5 deg
Driveshaft points down to axle 21.5 deg

Does this mean that the total angle is 28 deg? Shouldn't this be within the 31deg of the stock 1310 equipped DS?

I'm not sure what I'm missing. Axle yoke angle matches Driveshaft and points to tcase yoke. Shaft is about 27" center to center on level ground.

Will clearancing the DC joint have any positive effect on the problem? It seems that with any kind of droop of the front axle I will start to get binding.

Surely I am not the first to have this kind of problem. What is the solution to this?

Who knew ground clearance was such a pain in the ass!

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
kajeepxj,

Nope- With the flip kit from DEO You trim the input bearing retainer and replace the bearing with a sealed one. Other than that all you need to do is elongate three of the mounting holes on the rear of the tranny.

In what I read in searches before I did the swap: without the work on the input retainer you need a 7/8" clocking ring to clear the AX15

My ring was 5/16" and with the sealed bearing it bolted right up after elongating the holes.

55 looks at this and only one reply- I'm screwed! Someone has to have the answer.

Can I by a vowel Alex?

:D

·
Registered
914 Posts
sweet man thanks for the reply, sorry i can't help with the q though, i'll ask around my club and see what i can find out. later

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks man,

I may move this to Gen 4x4 and see if I get any thing.

·
Registered
15,131 Posts
if I remember correctly, the front driveshaft of an XJ is a CV style. IF so then shouldn't the pinion be pointed diectly at the T-case? not 6.5 deg. and if it isn't a CV, i thought the angle that the drive shaft leaves the t-case should match the angle at the pinion. EX. driveshaft 14 deg. up at pinion and 14 deg. down at t-case. maybe I am wrong but it's my .02

Q

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Cue-Ball

Thanks for the input. Looking back, what I wrote may be a little confusing.

The front input yoke on the tcase is pointing up a 6.5deg

The pinion yoke on the axle points directly at the tcase and is in line with the driveshaft. measures 5.5 deg across the yoke. Driveshaft is 21.5 deg from horizontal.

Front driveshaft is a double cardan joint (ujoints). Some also call these CV joints- some don't. Makes this a little hard to describe

I'm not sure about the rest :confused: Thats why I'm here. I hope someone will have some insight after messing with this themselves.

·
Registered
192 Posts
From the geometry you've described, sounds like you have a vertical drop on almost 10" from t-case output to front diff yoke. I'd skip all the fuss and go directly to a high angle driveshaft.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts