Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search but couldn't find what I needed.

I found a great deal on a teralow 231 all I have to do is swap it out of a 92 yj. I have a 87 xj I want to swap it in. In order to minimize the downtime of the YJ I would like to know what to expect. Can I just swap the complete t-cases or will I have to dissasemble and swap parts? will the input shafts be the same, speedo and vac line hookups etc.

The yj is a 92 with 4.0, 5spd and 231 and the xj is an 87 with 4.0, aw4, and 231.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok , so at this point I am trying to find out if I will have to dissasemble the case or not, those links will be very helpfull should I have to dissasemble the case. From the advance adapters page it looks that the ax15 in the 92 yj should have a the long input shaft but was unclear as to what my 87 xj should have. Does anyone know what my XJ should have. and if they do have the same input shafts it should be a simple swap right?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Im not sure but I thought that 88 and up XJ had the 231 while the older ones had the 207. You might check to be sure you have the 231.

Some 231's had 21-spline input with the AW-4 so you would have to swap the inputs or front case halves.

·
Premium Member
1,582 Posts
I think either Jeep or New Process/New Venture can tell you which input shaft you have on your XJ by the serial number. If you have the 23 spline shaft it will be a direct swap. It seems in the late 80's Jeep used what ever was on the shelf when building XJ's so you could have either. You could always pull the old t-case and count. It is only a 2-3 hour job.

If the new case has a 23 spline Teralow in it and you have to change it you have to buy an input shaft from Tera. The one in your case now will not swap in. BTW, changing input shafts in a Teralow is a huge PITA because the planitaries are timed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You may have to change the input Shaft

A guy, Niel, here in Fresno had to change out his 242 TC. He ended up swapping out the input shaft. I know having a 93' w/ the AX-15 and I have the 23 spline shaft. I believe he said he had a 21 spline with his 87'.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
WARNING!!!

I went through this same thing and this is what i ran into!

I researched to make sure all the splines and such would work and it was all ready to go, i install the SYE, bolted it up and then my buddy pointed out AFTER it was installed that the XJ NP231 didnt have a provision for the Vacuum thingy for the axle disconnect.

We jerry-rigged a little vacuum switch and away i went but it was a little speed bump i ran into

my .02

1 - 8 of 8 Posts