Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know how good these would do off-roading? We just bought an '05 Xterra in immaculate condition. I'm not interested in extreme rock climbing, but just four-wheeling on rough and semi-rocky dirt roads, etc. to get to nice camping/fishing spots.

Also, is a 2.5" lift kit all I need for that? It seems that's the only lift kits I can find. I wanted to get 35's, but all I can find are lift kits to accommodate 33's.

And one last thing... I was a member of this board a few years ago under a different name that I can't even remember anymore, but there was a thread about a guy named Wenzel who got his ASS handed to him over and over and over again by dozens of different people when he tried to rip off some guy over some gears or something. It was the funniest thing I've ever read. I want to read it again. Anybody have the link? Thanks!

Erik

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL that's pretty badass, but way too much for what I was looking for. :p Maybe I'll just get the 2.5" lift kit with 33" tires.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
There are other sites that you will get better answers at. The nissan forum on this site is kinda slow, an mostly filled with the "hard core" crowd. I think thenewx or something is one of the sites that would do ya better to ask around about IFS lifts an the such.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It takes a bit of effort to fit 35's. Bracket lift, coilovers, upper a-arms, custom springs, maybe a small body lift. Plus, there are no gears for your X at all, so 35's work great but you will be hard pressed to do much crawling.
Here's a few pics of my wife's, it does it all pretty well, but it really needs gears.

·
"All Weeee Drive!"
12,033 Posts
Were those pix taken on Private or Public lands?

If it was public, please delete the off trail ones.
If private, my appologies.... & nice rig & pics.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
How come you guys never post up comments like that in the general 4x4 section? Like all the broken axle and transmission threads where shit leaks out all over the place? You must have figured since it was the nissan section you could make yourselves feel better by bullying an Xterra guy?

·
Mr. Lucky
1,407 Posts
Just go buy a tow rig and a cheap trail rig and get it over with. Boy, its a slippery slope!:flipoff2::flipoff2: Welcome

·
"All Weeee Drive!"
12,033 Posts
I don't care what the vehicle is or which forum it's in.

I've posted the same in many a thread.

I carry extra spill kits for those I see need them.
Grass roots education of users is the key to helping to keep trails open for my kids to use & eventually their kids.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Just go buy a tow rig and a cheap trail rig and get it over with. Boy, its a slippery slope!:flipoff2::flipoff2: Welcome
There lies the problem. Guys buy cheap don't give a crap rigs and beat & bang them around not realizing that they are also beating up the trails. It seems like the ones with the most carnage are the hero's of the sport. What ever happened to driving elegant? I DD drive mine and don't have a tow rig or trailer. So I tend to calculate my chances before I take them. After 10 years, my truck has some dents and dings, but none were from being taking impossable lines. We need to stop rewarding 'carnage wheelers'!

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
There lies the problem. Guys buy cheap don't give a crap rigs and beat & bang them around not realizing that they are also beating up the trails. It seems like the ones with the most carnage are the hero's of the sport. What ever happened to driving elegant? I DD drive mine and don't have a tow rig or trailer. So I tend to calculate my chances before I take them. After 10 years, my truck has some dents and dings, but none were from being taking impossable lines. We need to stop rewarding 'carnage wheelers'!
The people that do the most damage in this sport are the ones that think they are better than everyone else.

Now go preach somewhere else. This is a tech forum.

·
Registered
137 Posts
All those pics are taken at off road parks, legal wheelin', and all trails. Just because you cannot see a designated line in a pic doesn't mean it isn't there.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
LOL that's pretty badass, but way too much for what I was looking for. :p Maybe I'll just get the 2.5" lift kit with 33" tires.
a warning for you if you get the 2.5" spacer lift you will have contact with your upper control arm and coil bucket goin over bumps , it gets annoying very quick
i would recommend coil overs and aftermarket uca's

·
Registered
22 Posts
Anybody know how good these would do off-roading? We just bought an '05 Xterra in immaculate condition. I'm not interested in extreme rock climbing, but just four-wheeling on rough and semi-rocky dirt roads, etc. to get to nice camping/fishing spots.

Also, is a 2.5" lift kit all I need for that? It seems that's the only lift kits I can find. I wanted to get 35's, but all I can find are lift kits to accommodate 33's.

And one last thing... I was a member of this board a few years ago under a different name that I can't even remember anymore, but there was a thread about a guy named Wenzel who got his ASS handed to him over and over and over again by dozens of different people when he tried to rip off some guy over some gears or something. It was the funniest thing I've ever read. I want to read it again. Anybody have the link? Thanks!

Erik

I'd invite you to visit the folks at http://www.thenewx.org/

There's a lot of great folks here but there's also quite a few ....mmmm...fuktards if you will. Looking for some good information specific to the second generation Xterras? Vist The New X.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts