Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Rick Deremo. A name you do not want to see opposite yours, in the running order, unless you are willing to give it all you’ve got and what you’ve got better be a hell of a lot.

Rick was born in Cortez, CO on June 25, 1959. A third generation hay farmer, Rick learned the value of hard work at a young age. A trait he applies towards everything he does. His family has farmed as much as ten thousand acres outside the little Southwest Colorado town of Dove Creek. When he was eight, he moved to Phoenix, AZ. He would live and go to school there during the off season, but would return home to work the farm in the summers. Like most farm kids, Rick learned to drive various trucks, tractors and other farm equipment at a young age...

...I’m not sure if this made him a better driver or if it gave him the confidence to give it a little more than others. Like when he was seventeen, he was out “desert racing” with friends. He ended up rolling his second pick-up, a ’77 F100 4x4, in the bar ditch, just hours before a big date. Rick had been sweet talking a girl for quite some time and finally got her to go out with him. When he showed up in his freshly rolled pick up, with the tailgate being the only straight part, she wasn’t amused...

...The doors wouldn’t open, so Rick had to lift her in through the window. The date didn’t go so well and ended early, but the precarious seventeen year old got a good look at her “unmentionables” when he helped her in and out of the window. From there it was a long drive home, as he thought of a story to tell his dad. As you could imagine, his dad was none-too happy about the whole ordeal.

Rick started wheeling when he got his first pick-up. He and his friends would go cruise the back roads of the Southwest and up and down the Delores River. His first truck was a ’72 F100 short box 4X4. That truck saw it’s last day when Rick, out wheeling up the river, found a water hole his truck couldn’t make it through...

...He was finally able to get it out, and it sat back at the farm for a week. Rick decided to give it a once over and was greeted by the smell of rotten fish. It seems a fish got caught in one of the seat springs, and was fermenting the whole time. Those were the days when wheeling was fun and not dictated by a government that feels they need to appease every lobbyist group out to “protect” our environment.

Rick’s first taste of competition came in the two-wheel variety. He raced motocross from the ages of fifteen to twenty-four, working his way up the ranks on a 125cc dirt bike, then to the 250cc’s and finally the open class. He raced the AMA Open Track circuit...

...His dad would take him to events around the country until he was able to drive himself. Rick really cherishes the time he spent with his dad out on the road.

Rick’s first four wheeling competition came in 2003, when he and his life long friend and spotter Rick Gersch, entered up in a Cal-Rocks event, at Avalanche Ranch. Figuring it was right down the road, what did he have to lose? So, they loaded up their Suzuki Samurai outfitted with Dana 44s, rear-steer, and a Geo Tracker 1.6L motor and headed off to compete...

...They didn’t fair so well and broke on their first course. In 2004 he built a single seat tube chassis car with a 2.5L Subaru motor. He competed in the Beatty, NV and Moab, UT Cal-Rock events. He put that car out to pasture and built another tube chassis car that he competed in for several years.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Rick’s name can be found in the books as a competitor of the AMA Outdoor Circuit, Pro-Rocks, Cal-Rocks, WE Rock (where he was ranked fifth in the nation in 2005 and sixth in the West in 2006), and in the XRRA (where he has the prestigious honor of having the most wins). On October 6th, he will debut his talents at the second UROC RockCross™ event of the 2007 season, in Pomona, CA.

Rick Deremo is the type of man most aspire to be. He and his family have a bond rarely seen these days. His wife Linda, of twenty-one years, son Drey (who is studying at NAU to become a Civil Engineer), and daughter Kellie (a star athlete at her high-school and future driver at ‘Xtreme Motorsports) can all attribute some of their character to their father/husband. Of course without their support, Rick would not be able to compete in a sport he loves...

...Rick’s extended family can be seen at the competitions cheering him on when things go well and wrenching on the car when they don’t. Rick treats all of those around him like family. Always the first to offer a hand, a part, or a jest to get a smile out of someone whose day isn’t going as planned. Rick is the real-life definition of sportsmanship. Although very competitive, you will not see him passing the buck or making excuses. Nope, most of the time you see Rick you see him with a smile.

Here’s to a great father, husband, friend, competitor and all around good guy!!!

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
Very nicely done

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Very nice write-up! Him going up against Campbell at the XRRA finals was awesome to watch!

But I gotta ask.... does anyone else think Deremo looks like Will Ferrell in this picture? :flipoff2:

·
Registered
314 Posts
Chad, super nice write-up and pics, you rock.:smokin:

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
great work, great story:)

·
Registered
950 Posts
Rick and his gang are top notch! They thrashed on my stuff after I tore it up bad in Pomona yesterday. There is no way I could have got it fixed on my own. THANK YOU Rick, Rick, Chuck, and Bob!

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Saweet!:D

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Thanks for the kind words. We know how it feels to break and not have any help to put the car back together or be lacking the needed parts. Since we broke we would rather work on sombodys car and get them back in the game then just sitting around being non productive.

Thanks to the competitors for making this a great season for all.

Ya Jocko Takes some sick photos.

Dang my Will Ferrel covers been blow.

·
Premium Member
3,790 Posts
If there were more teams that did these bios I would love to feature them on the W.E.ROCK Website. Damn too bad you're with XRRA only :flipoff2:

Hope to see you back on the rocks soon...

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
If there were more teams that did these bios I would love to feature them on the W.E.ROCK Website. Damn too bad you're with XRRA only :flipoff2:

Hope to see you back on the rocks soon...
You can put us on your website because We'll be at put up or shut up for sure.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
No he gets upset that his toyo tires are way faster than he can drive so they leave him and his rig in the dust.:flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
This sport like so many others has claimed a lot of families. It's nice to see a solid group keep their feet on the ground and never forget what's really important in this life.

Many thanks for showing others the right way to do things.

Tony K

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
RJ you said the Toyo's were fast, and now I belive ya.. My tire crossed the finish line at least 4 seconds ahead of the car.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts