Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tires are 9.00x16 Michelin XZL's with about 5-7K miles on them. A friend of mine had them on his Super Duty.

I put an 8 oz bag of Equal in each tire. Problem is, between 30-40 mph, I get the wobbles. Sometimes it's barely noticeable, and other times it's pretty severe.

I called the guy that sold me the Equal. He has 8.25 XZL's that had about 20K on them with weights, and he said that once the wear patterns are gone, the wobble should go away. At least it did with his tires.

Is this true? Should I just wait for the tires to "wear in" to my vehicle, or should I get them shaved? Or would that even help?

I like the idea of the Equal balancer, but this is my second try (first try was w/ bias ply Swampers) with the same results.

I've been told that the Michelin tires respond really well to this stuff. I've got about 500 miles on them so far, and it's not getting any better.

Also, I started at 40 psi, then went up to 50 psi. No noticeable change.

And "searching" didn't turn up any results, hence this post.:)

·
Registered
765 Posts
i've ran equal for over 2k miles (33x12.5 BFG MTs) and it still wobbles around 55mph. i will go back to regular balancing with next wheels. i thought it would smooth out too, but it didn't get any better overtime. great idea, but results are vey inconsistent.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, that's not very encouraging. I was hoping for some success stories.;)

Anyone else?

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I run mouse balls, the rubber balls inside computer mice, inside my 39.5 tsl's and I'm good up to about 78mph... There is one spot at 58 mph that is not there at 57 and not there at 59 but a definate little shimmy at 58... But thats all, works well. Going to put the same things inside my 12.00R20 XML's. Do get some strange looks from people when I'm pulling up to a red light and all the balls are making all kinds of noise inside the tires:D

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK Jason, I gotta ask. How many, and where do you get them?

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Since you live in NC, I would imagine that the humidity would cause the equal to clump which could be a problem.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
It's possible that out of round tires are causing the wobble... those speeds are right around the range that golf balls/BB's/water mix/equal starts to work, right?

SO, the equal might not be helping at all at those speeds.

I had no wobble with my 35" Boggers, got it with the 38.5's... it very well could just be the tires...

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
willyswanter said:
I run mouse balls, the rubber balls inside computer mice, inside my 39.5 tsl's and I'm good up to about 78mph... There is one spot at 58 mph that is not there at 57 and not there at 59 but a definate little shimmy at 58... But thats all, works well. Going to put the same things inside my 12.00R20 XML's. Do get some strange looks from people when I'm pulling up to a red light and all the balls are making all kinds of noise inside the tires:D
So, you are the guy that goes to college computer labs and takes the balls out of the mouses. And I always thought is was a gremlin or something.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I've got a set of used 9.00R16 XLs that were on a pinzgauer. I mounted them myself, and I run tubes in them. I didn't have them balanced though, and I have no vibration, shimmy, or anything else. Under 5mph they're kinda lumpy (you can feel every lug in them) but at speed they're silky smooth without any weights.

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
This on Dana 60's?

Do a search on "Death wobble" here or CK5.com and see what you come up with. There is a trick to shim the spring in the king pin to get rid of that.

Easy way to test it is get the tire of the ground and step on to the rim. If you feel it drop a little and the wheel shifts it just shifted the cone washer. So far about 90% of the folks that try this trick get the problem resolved.

·
Registered
667 Posts
used to run Equal, but too $$$

Now i use shotgun shot. the really bitty ones. my buddy uses BB's

anyway, the equation is 1 oz of shot/BB's to every 13 lbs of tire.

works no matter what ya use, but gotta use enough of it.

good luck

Chris

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
check the tires for out of round. Any decent shop can do that. Make sure they are driven (warmed up) first before you head to the shop. That is probably your problem.

Greg, tires wear according to what they are on first (used). If out of round, shaving them is the best way. Look for a shop that specializes in gt-1, gt-2 or gt-3 scca stuff, or solo 2. They will know places that still shave tires.

I would run balance weights only. But hey what do I know. I have just seen WAY too much damage from objects in the tires of street driven vehicles. (run-flats with too low of pressure on the street)

j

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I run 8 per tire, there pretty heavy... A guy in my 4x4 club worked at a company dealing with computers, they had all kinds of old mice so everytime they went to throw some out he raped the little mice for there balls!

·
Registered
414 Posts
i have got 20OZ of copperheads in each of my 39.5 TSL's it starts to shake like a sunofabitch at about 63. i lean my head out of the side and i can see the tires jumping all over the place. my guess is that there way out of round. about how much does it cost to get your tires trued up/ shaved?

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
Try lowering your pressure. I don't run any weights or anything with my bias Swampers and they shake more the higher the pressure is. I tried going over 30 psi for some long trips and it would start to shake pretty bad at 50-60 MPH. I don't know how much your rig weighs, but 50psi sounds really high.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all of the responses. I checked around yesterday and could only find one place that shaves or "trues" tires here in Charlotte, and they want almost $27 per tire! I've already spent $75 on the Equal, so I don't think I can drop another $125 to see if I can get it to work.

The Michelins are supposedly some of the best made tires out there, so I don't think they're out of round. Plus, my friend said they ran as smooth as silk. I actually rode with him and they were very nice.

I'm gonna give it a little more time, and lower my pressure to 45psi. I'm just getting discouraged because now I've dumped $75 and I'm still gonna have to pay to get them dismounted, cleaned out, and rebalanced.

By the way, these are on a '00 LR Discovery, so no Dana 60's here.:)

And for those that are curious, those mouse balls are EXPENSIVE!

·
Registered
667 Posts
Greg Davis said:

I'm gonna give it a little more time, and lower my pressure to 45psi
this part gets me. why such a high pressure?
maybe i'm just tire stoopid, but that seems high to me.

Greg Davis said:
I've dumped $75 and I'm still gonna have to pay to get them dismounted, cleaned out, and rebalanced.

why cant ya save a buck here? bust the bead with a hilift and hit it with the shop vac

Greg Davis said:
I've already spent $75 on the Equal, so I don't think I can drop another $125 to see if I can get it to work....,,,And for those that are curious, those mouse balls are EXPENSIVE!
I think it would cost maybe 20 bucks for some shot or BB's.
and that would probably be enuf for 2 rigs, at least.

just tryin to help ya out.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, I could take the stuff out myself, but my gear is in my other garage (we recently moved). Plus, these tires are VERY heavy and to be honest, I'm not sure I want to try and manhandle them around.

As far as the pressure, they are load rated at 65 psi cold. When they were at 40 psi, the lugs would rattle your teeth. At 50 psi, it's much better, so maybe 45 will be a compromise. Also, these tires are only speed rated for 100 kph, so I'm trying to keep the heat down by running at a decent pressure.

If the weather clears up, I may get motivated and try and clean everything out and run them as is to see how they do. Then, if they're bad, I can just take 'em down and get them balanced.

All the advice is appreciated.:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts