Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which is better to put on my 80? I do alot of rock crawling. I'm not sure what to get. Can anyone help me decide.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I'm getting a set for my 25, but remember they're only speed rated for less than 65mph. Not a problem for me, but something to think about with an 80.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Hey Leather panties,
First off, you don't do a lot of rock crawling :flipoff2:

Second, you gotta look at more than just tread - what about sizing, avail etc?:flipoff2:

Third is just...:flipoff2: :flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
XZL's kick serious ass, but they're not rated for high speed on the highway. If that's a problem for you, then you might want to consider something else. How much is "a lot of rockcrawling"? 10% use? 15% use? 20% use?

Another thing to consider is that XZL's are *narrow*, not always a good thing on a tall, heavy wagon, because there's a lot of sideways flex. If you do a lot of off-camber, that's something to think about.

XZL's are available in 8.25R16, 9.00R16 and 11.00R16. The 9.00R16's are roughly 37.5", the 11.00R16's about 39.5". Again, they're pretty narrow tires.

·
Registered
167 Posts
The speed rating does come into play... I've been considering some 325/85R16 XML, I doubt the runner would be very happy over 55 with those monsters. Anyway, if you drive it everyday, and want a very capable tire, try some 315/75R16 Goodyear MTR, they work great in the variety of crap you'll encounter in Massachusetts and other New England points. I run them on 16 x 8" FJ80 steel wheels, nice combo.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
What is the speed rating on swampers? do the michelins last longer than swampers on a daily driver? Swampers are good in the rocks but they don't seem to last very long on the highway.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
I would say neither. The XZLs sure do look cool though but I would also take someone else's advice and get a set of MTRs, especially on a 80 series. That is what most of the people out here are running if the truck sees any highway speed at all. Here is a decent link for the XZL's though: http://www.expeditionexchange.com/michelin/

The Swampers are also, to an extent highway limited too. The wear our real fast and on a set of radial TSLs, one of the lugs flew off the tire at about 70 mph. They are awesome offroad but if the truck sees any highway use, again, I wouldn't use them.
Here is a pict of what was left of that lug. Tire actually still worked fine though! click here

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I run 33" BFG KM's on my FJ40 and they are extremly quite on the Higheway and they do great off road. I DD my cruiser since it's my only vehicle and i live in the North West where it rains all the time and more mud than anyone could handle.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What I ment when I said I rockcrawl alot. Is that most of my wheeling in on rocks.
Yes I was worried also with the narrowness of the XZL's.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
liftedwithleather, I meant no offense, I was trying to gauge the kind of usage you were going to give your tires. If you wheel mostly on rocks, I'd advice a set of 37x12.5 Goodyear MT/R's mounted on 8" wide rims, that ought to yield good performance on the rocks without sacrificing on road performance.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Okay, so I after seeing the XZL's were only $200, I did a little digging and came up with conflicting report. The folks at expeditionexchange told me that they've heard the comments about the speed rating but don't have any problems running them at higher speeds. Then Daniel from USA6x6, who sells these tires also, told me that he wouldn't recommend running them at higher speeds for long periods of time.

So there you have it, straight from the horse's mouth, two different opinions. Personally, I don't think I would push the issue because I NEED a tire that will handle 75 MPH for 4-5 hours at a time, with a heavy truck. But there's no doubt that the XZL's are bad muthas...s'up to you.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
regarding speed rating : I don't think it would be a problem if you keep a sufficient pressure. These are heavy-truck tires designed for continuous abuse, not a consumer-leisure-SUV thing.

You'd never exceed 1/3 of their load rating, so you still have a hughe safety margin even at 75mph

Just MHO again

Bye,

Denis

1 - 12 of 12 Posts