Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I picked up a 91 GT 5.0 today in sweet condition. Now, I need a computer. So, I found one from a 93 Cobra, but it works with the ol 24# injectors and I have the stock 19# injectors. So, my question is: Can I use the cobra computer with the bone stock 5.0HO? If it does work, will it work better than a stock computer? because I can get a stock computer for $25 less. Is it worth it?

·
Registered
316 Posts
I'ts my understanding that the guys with the Cobra mustangs
take out the Cobra computer and replace it with the standard
non-cobra computer. Don't know why, its just what I've heard.
Hope this helps.

Rusty

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The guy at one of the yards said that the 5.0 computer was the same for all mustangs, Marks, cougars and any other 5.0. I don't think that is correct, but can anybody verify this?

·
Registered
62 Posts
The cobra ecm is also calibrated for a larger maf not just larger injectors. I advise to get a normal 5.0 H.O. ecm. There are many different ecm's and also auto and manual versions, what tranny are you going to run?

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
The Cobra computer won't work very good with your 5.0. What the people have stated before is correct the MAF is bigger and so are the injectors. If i was you i'd get the stock 5.0 computer. If you get the Cobra one you might need to get a chip to fix all the problems you'll have with it.
-Cobra

·
Registered
9,930 Posts
I'm selling EVERYTHING to adapt a 5.0 to a t-18 or 435. tell me if you want it. save you a $1000 head ache. $700 to incl. bell housing, 5.8 ltr match balanced resurfaced flywheel. LUK clutch
slave cyl w/ mount, steel braided line to hydrolic master cyl, clutch fork, throw out bearing YADA YADA.

works nice

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
for mustang questions ask
here

·
Registered
905 Posts
Get a computer with either "A9L" or "C3W" tag code printed on it... The A9L is the 5speed EEC and is the most aggressive/Desirable one... The C3W is the automatic trans counterpart of the A9L.

Tag codes are printed on the outside of the EEC on a sticker.

You could go to autozone... I have heard they sell computers for $99 + core (use the cobra EEC-IV as the core). Also, a friend of mine says he called a few yards... the going price seemed to be about $50 for a 5.0HO 5speed EEC.

As Poofey said... the Cobra EEC will not run very well, it's set up for the 24lb injectors and larger MAF.

·
Registered
214 Posts
A9L is a 5speed comp from an 89, the auto version is the A9P. You can use either without any problems. I use the A9P in my 88 GT 5 speed.
Phil

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
ok, since the 5.0 came back up..

I still can't get my code reader plug or my check engine light to work..

I am wondering if it is cause I switched computers, car came with an automatic and I put in a manual computer. That is the only thing I can think of but they won't make it legal until that code reader plug works. I would be forever in debt to whoever figures it out ;)

I have another computer here to try, says 8LD on it, EEC-IV SFI-MA2 E8ZF-12A650-D2B 6EC2802F01 7115 - 15 7H10

If it matters the engine and harness is from a california 88 Mustang 5.0 (mass air)

I pray to the gods for an answer on this one.. :(

Everything runs great, passed visial and dyno emissions test but with no code readout no pass

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
Sillyneck said:
I'm selling EVERYTHING to adapt a 5.0 to a t-18 or 435. tell me if you want it. save you a $1000 head ache. $700 to incl. bell housing, 5.8 ltr match balanced resurfaced flywheel. LUK clutch
slave cyl w/ mount, steel braided line to hydrolic master cyl, clutch fork, throw out bearing YADA YADA.

works nice
why are you selling that stuff?

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
I'm gonna go postal..

ok the computer I HAD and have been driving with is a 8LG. Only problem is the check engine light doesn't work and I couldn't figure it out.. I picked up a 8LD computer and plugged it in - light works!!!

Problem is the output to the fuel pump doesn't..

so computer one runs with no diognosis (plug light etc), computer #2 light works but fuel pump does not..

8LD is from an 88 manual 5.0. Mine is from an 88 auto, but since I am running a manual tranny I figured I better have the manual computer. Now if the manual computer won't allow my fuel pump to run with that circuit do I need the manual harness? help!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts