Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
WOW! nice details, most people couldnt even appreciate what it took to line things up so the hanger is out front like that and the johny joint is incorporated in the tube behind it. nice work larry!

its taken me 3 weeks just to french in a set of 1/4 elip springs:p

·
Registered
777 Posts
looking good so far..keep the pics comming, you know we all like pics:p are those johnny joints you have built into the frame for the rear of the front springs??

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
Larry, *VERY* impressive tube work. I guess I'll go ahead and ask what bender and tubing diameter/wall you're using, since it ALWAYS comes up. :)

Looks like you're going leaf sprung front... 3/4 link and coil/coilover/quarter-elipo in back, right?

Paul - any pics of your in-progress rear suspension? I forget - you're going to be using a 3-link, right?

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TNToy said:
Larry, *VERY* impressive tube work. I guess I'll go ahead and ask what bender and tubing diameter/wall you're using, since it ALWAYS comes up. :)

Looks like you're going leaf sprung front... 3/4 link and coil/coilover/quarter-elipo in back, right?
It will be a triangulated four link with Fox coilovers and Johnny Joints. I built my own hydraulic bender that uses Hossfield dies. I use both a Williams Low-buck shear type notcher for 0 to 15 degree copes and a Harbor Freight hole saw notcher for steeper notches. The tubing is 1 1/2"x.120" HREW. Pretty much all of the 1 1/2" is done, most of the rest that will be added is 1 1/4" and 1"x.120".

Attachments

·
Registered
570 Posts
Sweet ride Zags!!! Did you do any drawings first or just lay it out in your head? You mind if I steal some ideas from ya?:D Again Nice work!

CJ

·
Registered
411 Posts
Looks good Larry. Keep up the good work, we need all the tube we can get out on the trails.

Randy

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Looking good. I see what you mean about those unique bends using one piece of tube. Very trick.;)

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
rustyPOS said:
cool..I'm suprised you waited so long
Actually, I'm glad I waited as long as I did. The sport has changed so much, and I have learned alot in the last two years. We are doing stuff I never would have imagined. I have a much better idea of what I want in a chassis now. I did start another one a couple of years ago, but it was an antique by the time I was nearly done with it so I sold it.

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
I built my own hydraulic bender that uses Hossfield dies.
That's almost as impressive as all of those tubes with bends in three dimensions. Although, I suppose a bender isn't really as complicated as they seem... Kind of a "line it up and weld it where it needs to be" type of thing? :)

I use both a Williams Low-buck shear type notcher for 0 to 15 degree copes and a Harbor Freight hole saw notcher for steeper notches.
I looked into the williams low-buck unit a while back. The price made the "low-buck" title seem like a cruel, misleading joke... but you get what you pay for, and the HF one leaves a wee bit to be desired at times.

Oh, almost forgot... I would gusset that front spring hanger!... :flipoff2: :rolleyes:
I'm sure you were gonna leave it like that. ;)

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the encouragement everyone. Jay, I hope I can come close to the workmanship on your buggy. I'll post periodic updates. Steal ideas as you want everyone. Where do you think I got them?:D

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Booger Weldz said:
:flipoff2: arent all our rigs a combination of personal preference and the combined ideas of the congregation here on pirate?:D
cant wait to see it in action at the jambo!
Yah Paul, fuckin Mossberg :mad:
Oh well, as of the other night, im startin to look like zags! wont be until after the jambo tho. One more run for the jiggamathinga. :D cant wait to see your rig zags, I really like.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts