Pirate 4x4 banner

Yet another AZ tube buggy

21K views 103 replies 41 participants last post by  ROKTOY 
#1 · (Edited)
Yet another AZ tube buggy (updated pics!)

Well. I finally got around to firing up the the tubing bender. This is what I've got so far.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
WOW! nice details, most people couldnt even appreciate what it took to line things up so the hanger is out front like that and the johny joint is incorporated in the tube behind it. nice work larry!

its taken me 3 weeks just to french in a set of 1/4 elip springs:p

#5 · (Edited)
Larry, *VERY* impressive tube work. I guess I'll go ahead and ask what bender and tubing diameter/wall you're using, since it ALWAYS comes up. :)

Looks like you're going leaf sprung front... 3/4 link and coil/coilover/quarter-elipo in back, right?

Paul - any pics of your in-progress rear suspension? I forget - you're going to be using a 3-link, right?

#7 ·
TNToy said:
Larry, *VERY* impressive tube work. I guess I'll go ahead and ask what bender and tubing diameter/wall you're using, since it ALWAYS comes up. :)

Looks like you're going leaf sprung front... 3/4 link and coil/coilover/quarter-elipo in back, right?
It will be a triangulated four link with Fox coilovers and Johnny Joints. I built my own hydraulic bender that uses Hossfield dies. I use both a Williams Low-buck shear type notcher for 0 to 15 degree copes and a Harbor Freight hole saw notcher for steeper notches. The tubing is 1 1/2"x.120" HREW. Pretty much all of the 1 1/2" is done, most of the rest that will be added is 1 1/4" and 1"x.120".

Attachments

#12 ·
Looking good. I see what you mean about those unique bends using one piece of tube. Very trick.;)

#13 ·
rustyPOS said:
cool..I'm suprised you waited so long
Actually, I'm glad I waited as long as I did. The sport has changed so much, and I have learned alot in the last two years. We are doing stuff I never would have imagined. I have a much better idea of what I want in a chassis now. I did start another one a couple of years ago, but it was an antique by the time I was nearly done with it so I sold it.

#15 ·
I built my own hydraulic bender that uses Hossfield dies.
That's almost as impressive as all of those tubes with bends in three dimensions. Although, I suppose a bender isn't really as complicated as they seem... Kind of a "line it up and weld it where it needs to be" type of thing? :)

I use both a Williams Low-buck shear type notcher for 0 to 15 degree copes and a Harbor Freight hole saw notcher for steeper notches.
I looked into the williams low-buck unit a while back. The price made the "low-buck" title seem like a cruel, misleading joke... but you get what you pay for, and the HF one leaves a wee bit to be desired at times.

Oh, almost forgot... I would gusset that front spring hanger!... :flipoff2: :rolleyes:
I'm sure you were gonna leave it like that. ;)

#19 ·
Booger Weldz said:
:flipoff2: arent all our rigs a combination of personal preference and the combined ideas of the congregation here on pirate?:D
cant wait to see it in action at the jambo!
Yah Paul, fuckin Mossberg :mad:
Oh well, as of the other night, im startin to look like zags! wont be until after the jambo tho. One more run for the jiggamathinga. :D cant wait to see your rig zags, I really like.

#21 ·
hey zags,

was just wondering what the measurement was from the front hanger to the johnny joint?? do you have any particular spring you was planning on using?? thanks for the info

jeremy

#23 ·
Toyotafourwheeln said:
hey zags,

was just wondering what the measurement was from the front hanger to the johnny joint?? do you have any particular spring you was planning on using?? thanks for the info

jeremy
I am using All Pro 1.5" longer than stock, 4" lift springs inboarded 2" from stock. I may need to pull a leaf to get the ride height I want though. This rig should only weigh 2300 lbs. or so.
it is 46" between the hanger and the Johnny joint. I wouldn't recomend using a Johnny Joint on the front springs unless you are using full hydro steering though, as a drag link may cause excessive axle side to side movement.

Originally posted by lizard lips

Looks good, are you also going to get the jonny joints built into the rear?
It will have a four link with coilovers and Johnny Joints.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.