Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I've currently got the traditional shock mounting and am thinking about moving the upper shock mounts inward like so many of you do so I have the /\ pattern. I have noticed that most if not all of the lower shock mounts have been on the backside of the axle. My question is, has there been anyone that has put one of the mounts on the frontside and another on the backside onstead of having them both on one side of the axle? I'd think that it might give more stability, but then again I could be greatly wrong. If this is a bad idea, then why?

-Ian

·
Premium Member
16,327 Posts
i would have to say that the reasoning for the back it contact with trail objects. axle will hit first protectin it

·
Premium Member
4,400 Posts
I've run shocks tipped inward mounted in front of the axle for a few years now:

http://4crawler.cruiserpages.com/4x4/4R_suspension-III.shtml#R-Shocks

However, I'll be moving them to the back, there is just too much stuff in front of the axle to allow for any fine tuning. You have limited space to fit the shock between the gas tank brackets and the axle, the e-brake cable and brake hose come down there, etc. I've not had too much trouble w/ hitting the lower shock mounts, they are above the centerline of the axle, but the back will allow a lot more flexibility.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Mine are on the front also. Mounts very similar to Budbuilts.;)

·
Registered
872 Posts
I had them in the front for a while and I hit them a few times and broke one... So I made some new mounts that fit on the top of the axle out of 2x2" Angled in the same direction as the shocks and it seems to work well, I just did it a few weeks ago and haven't had it truly flexed up yet so I'm not sure that if there are any major problems yet......

·
Registered
872 Posts
sorry to hijack,
Bones, are you getting any fatige having you muff cut right by the shock, I'm trying to get mine sort of out of the way, but it's still close.

And are you getting any rubbage on your E-brake cable??? I had to move to pivot mount up about an inch or so, works much better now.....

·
Registered
24,649 Posts
YotaRunner said:
sorry to hijack,
Bones, are you getting any fatige having you muff cut right by the shock, I'm trying to get mine sort of out of the way, but it's still close.

And are you getting any rubbage on your E-brake cable??? I had to move to pivot mount up about an inch or so, works much better now.....
Nope, never noticed any. It's moved to the side now and out of the way.

I spaced my cable up after that pic and it work fine and dandy. Wish I had a tcase ebrake and rear disks though.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bones, I never considered a top mount, looks like a good idea. Thanks to everryone else for givin me pros and cons of the front/ rear mounts.

-Ian

1 - 11 of 11 Posts