Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I picked up a scout 2 D44 front axle for a CJ 7 build and it has all the issues I read about in the forums, wacky knuckles, poor pinion angle, poor caster etc but since I can't find a Wagoneer D44 in the northeast it's what I have. Question - I think I want to run ford outers and since I don't know the ford axles that well I was wondering what donor I should looking for. Full size Bronco? Did the IFS D44s have the same knuckles as the straight axles?

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Any open knuckle, disc brake, 1/2 ton Ford Dana 44 will have what you need. That should be from about 1976 to 1996*. 1980-1996 TTB dana 44 knuckles are different. The brake calipers mount differently. The only parts that will be of much use are the hubs and rotors.

Another option, only because there are more parts available, is to use GM flat top knuckles with small bearing spindles (GM 1/2 ton six lug Dana 44 1969-1975) with Ford hubs. Hence the reference to the 80-96 TTB. GM brake calipers are everywhere, you'll use GM version stub shafts. The only ford part will be the hubs. You can find most of this in a pick-n-pull.

That's the set-up I'm running on a Willys. Works great. Good Luck

·
Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
42,740 Posts
If you want to be lazy and run five lug, you can swap on CJ spindles, rotors calipers, etc and use the scout stub. I don’t think that’s very strong though but I’ve done it to make use of parts I have lying around.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts