Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know there is about a million of these TJ builds on here, so I probably wont be showing anything that you haven't seen before. This build will be a little slow and have to be done in 2 stages. It will be my second build in one year.

My old jeep that I sold and that is funding most of the project is here http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=720607 Im starting with a 1999 TJ that I got from a wrecking yard. It was a stolen recovery and is missing the motor, trans, tcase, drivelines, and over half the wiring. I'm going to have to do all the drive train first and then have it inspected by the state patrol to get a title. Once that's done then I'll do the suspension and axles.

Here is a spec sheet of what the finished product will be:
Front axle Chevy D60 with Poly 3 link and 14" FOA coilovers
Rear axle 14 bolt with poly 4 link and coil springs
Tires 42" bias iroks on 17" Allied beadlocks
motor - chevy 6.0 LQ9
NV4500 trans
Atlas 2 3.8 to 1
BTF comp corners and rockers

Here's a pic of what I'm starting with.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The plan for this jeep will be a 6.0 LQ9 from eastcoast engines. A chevy NV4500 with a atlas tcase. I'm still waiting for the motor but here's the tranny and transfer.

I also got the old cut up wiring ripped out and started rewiring the whole thing. I'm really not a fan of wiring.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After doing some searching and looking at the trans and tcase. I decided not to order the dodge adapter and just modify the bolt pattern on the chevy one. It was pretty easy cause I only needed to drill one new hole on the bottom left and order a 3/4" spacer ring. Here's some pics of the ring I got from advanced adapters. It was only 60 bucks to go this route instead of 400 bucks to get the dodge adapter and the 1.5 inch spacer.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you don't mind me asking....what did you pay for that TJ?
I got it from the wrecking yard for 3000.00. The body doesn't have a dent on it and the interior was in good shape. The rear actually has a locker in it too, not that most of that matters for me anyways. Once its inspected I'm loosing the stock axles anyways along with the fenders and seats. The rear window and side window for the top are shot but the guy is getting me replacement pieces for that too.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
I spy a passenger drop Atlas? Gonna run some Chevy axles in it? I plan on doing the same so I can't wait to see how you execute this. Looks good.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I spy a passenger drop Atlas? Gonna run some Chevy axles in it? I plan on doing the same so I can't wait to see how you execute this. Looks good.
Yeah I got a great deal on a Chevy frontend and the guy wanted to get rid of the stuff so bad he threw the 14bolt in for free. I got the tcase used from a guy on here for a good deal so I saved a little bit of money. I'm finding that all my money from the old jeep is going very fast!! I just ordered 42" iroks for it yesterday. Here's the axles.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Nice. Looks like this will be a nice little project. Your last one was awesome.

·
Registered
44 Posts
nice

sweet looking real good . :D

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i was wondering where you got the wiring from. i found a hack job that i picked up and it needs new wiring all over
There's alot of different kits out there. I've always seemed to find the best deals on ebay. This is the second kit I've bought on there and they seem to be really good. One I've used is called a Kwick wire kit and it seemed to be a little nicer than the one I got this time. This was a 22 circuit kit and it was like 150 bucks and all the wires are labled every 6 inches. I really hate wiring but there wasn't anything I could do. When it was stolen over half the wires were missing and one whole fuse panel.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I finally have something to update on. I bought the wheels pictured above and got the 42" Iroks. I also FINALLY got my motor from East Coast Engines but am still waiting to get the computer and harness:shaking:. I haven't been able to work on it too much but was able to pick up the motor and start to unpack it. I had a batchelor party in Vegas so my funds went down a little but will get a bunch of work done this weekend and have more pics. Here's some of the motor sitting in the shop.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Justin-

Looking good. I wish I would have got Racelines instead of my KMCs. Oh well. I got a set of 16" Fox Coilovers for sale with Res. If you are interested send me an email, and I'll shoot you some pics.

Brent

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've been getting some work done FINALLY. Not to many pics to show but will start posting more soon. I've got the motor mounts built and finishing them up, along with the trans mount and crossmember. Just a few pics of them but I will get more after the weekend.

I also had to cut a little bit of a hole in the floor and beat it with a big hammer for the tcase to clear.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts