·
Registered
3,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
THE HERALD - EVERETT, WASHINGTON

Published: Friday, January 6, 2012

Forest Service Land

Accept risks, or all access will go

I agree with the letters stating that we must recreate in the North Cascade Mountains at our own risk. It is tragic that a family lost a child. But if the family continues with the lawsuit, not only will Big Four Ice Caves be closed to the public, but other roads and trails on U.S. Forest Service lands will, as well.

Any time you go into the mountains for any reason it is, and should be, at your own risk. You should be prepared and know the risks. Other states such as Nevada have big signs at the beginning of primitive gravel roads and trails. They state "Primitive Road or Trail/Enter At Your Own Risk." We have become a nation of whiners expecting the federal or state government to make everything safe for us when we enter the back country. What did the Lewis and Clark expedition, the early fur trappers and pioneers do? They certainly did not have any warning signs that the route they were traveling was dangerous.

As of today, the Circle Peak Road in the Darrington area is closed because the USFS deemed it "unsafe" to drive. I would much rather keep the road open and have a Primitive Road Warning Sign at the beginning of the road. The mantra of the USFS has been "close the roads if they pose a risk" for a very long time. That is why so many of our roads are closed now and why the USFS will not let the roads close naturally. Instead, the USFS roads are deliberately dug up to the tune of $35,000 per mile.

So come on, public, be responsible, be prepared, know what the risks of traveling in the back country are and let us assure the USFS that we will not sue, but appreciate the opportunity of traveling back country roads and trails at our own risks.

Shari Brewer
Darrington

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20120106/OPINION02/701069948

·
16,231 Posts
Well... now that we live in a society filled with "victims" that sue every chance they can get when they have been "wronged" and don't accept personal responsibilty.... This is what happens.

Our government has to idiot proof the world with new laws and regulations to protect itself from being sued.

I'll bet you in less that 10 years there will be a law mandating that people wear helmets while walking. :shaking:

Sorry for the rant. I am pissy this morning.

·
Premium Member
9,568 Posts
Sorry for the rant. I am pissy this morning.
My feelers have been injured by your pisstivity. :evil:
My legal team will be in touch with you soon, Mr. Schneider. :flipoff2:
...and yes, closure to protect the lowest common denominator is stoooooooopit

·
Registered
165 Posts
I am sorry but some people are not meant to survive and reproduce.
The problem is that the our law makers know that these are the only ones that will vote for them.:shaking:

·
flamethrower
12,604 Posts
Our government has to idiot proof the world with new laws and regulations to protect itself from being sued.

I'll bet you in less that 10 years there will be a law mandating that people wear helmets while walking. :shaking:
It's a Lawyer Problem

I am sorry but some people are not meant to survive and reproduce.
Exactly, overpopulation is not due to an increasing birthrate, but an increasing Survival Rate :flipoff2:

Stupid should hurt, or result in an accidental death.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts