Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know that this is totally a dweb question, but with your requisite flaming i humbly request a simple yes or know answer...

i took out the viscous clutch, chucked it up in the lathe, i feel a good amount of resistance when i turn it in just my two greasy hands, but when i fire up the lathe and grab it with my welding gloved hand (yes i am a retard) it just spins free. no grab whatsoever. and then when i take it out of the lathe it still spins freely for a couple of minutes, then a little later back to the resistive feeling.

so i ask does this mean it is dead?

and yes i have searched, this is why i am checking the clutch this way.

thank you.
aaron

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Heat makes the fluid lock the clutch up. Maybe try your hair dryer Elvis :flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
can't use the dryer today, only have a 120amp circuit at the house and it requires 440 3phase...

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
this was just after it came out of my overheating engine compartment. i think it is not locking up.

thinking of drilling it out and putting a screw in it to lock it up until i can get a taurus fan.

·
Registered
12,060 Posts
You can run the GM viscous clutch in the interim. That's what I did until I did the Taurus fan conversion. Pick one up at any parts store, or buy mine :flipoff2: 'cuz I'm no longer using it.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
going to the p and p on monday to get a taurus fan. i run one on my rock buggy and the only thing i don't like about it is that it blows A LOT of hot air into my cab:D

btw, do you use the ford starter solenoids for the high speed? or have the 30amp relays cut it for you?

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Its an old saga. Its been played over and over here. Take out the radiator and have it rodded out or replace it if necessary. I bet that is what you are fighting. And I hate electric fans in place of mechanical.

JP

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
So what year Taurus fan are we talking about?

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i just drilled a hole thru my clutch and jb welded a screw in place. viola it stays cool. maybe i will buy a clutch...mr vance how much do you want for the gm one you have?

·
Registered
25,560 Posts
Its an old saga. Its been played over and over here. Take out the radiator and have it rodded out or replace it if necessary. I bet that is what you are fighting. And I hate electric fans in place of mechanical.

JP

While I agree with you on the mechanical/electrical issue, recoring/rodding are rarely worth the time. Replace the damned thing and be done with it.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
i just drilled a hole thru my clutch and jb welded a screw in place. viola it stays cool. maybe i will buy a clutch...mr vance how much do you want for the gm one you have?
Be sure to let us know how far those plastic blades fly when they break off the hub and fly thru the hood. Well, if they're in decent shape they may just bend forward and chew thru the radiator before breaking off.

:shaking: not a good plan there :shaking:

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
why not? they don't spin that fast. do you have a story or propietary knowledge?

not trying to be a dick, but i would like to know why it isn't a good plan. it makes sense to me. it isn't going faster than the engine rpm, it is just a fan. it would spin just as fast if the (not working now)viscous coupler engaged.

is my logic flawed here?

and why do you two (pendy and pt) not like the electric fans? i have had good luck with one on the buggy, and i have seen plenty of others work quite well.

now bear in mind, i still have the stock plastic fan in the box-o-spares i take to the trail:flipoff2:

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Plastic fans explode. I had it happen to me. Many others have also...leads to expen$ive repair$.

I replaced the plastic POS with a steel one from Napa.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
To test the clutch.....

Drive so that you are hotter than it should be. Pull over. Carefully take a rolled up newspaper or such and try to stop the fan gently. If the clutch is dead, it will stop. If it is allive, it won't.

·
Registered
25,560 Posts
ahh,
good to know. sounds like an electric fan is better and better:flipoff2:
When your electric fan cooled truck overheats, call me (I might be home this time) and I'll sell you the shortblock out of my Disco in the unlikely event one of these 4.2s ever gets built.

Tucson heat + anemic cooling system + electric fan=:nuke:

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
All electric fans are not created equal. The bad rap they get is from people putting crappy fans in there. You can get electric fans that pull more or less than the engine driven fan. It is up to you.

·
Registered
12,060 Posts
When your electric fan cooled truck overheats, call me (I might be home this time) and I'll sell you the shortblock out of my Disco in the unlikely event one of these 4.2s ever gets built.

Tucson heat + anemic cooling system + electric fan=:nuke:

Please...:shaking:

Vegas heat + Taurus electric fan (on low speed) = rock solid engine temps.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i have to agree with the taurus fan. it blows an unbelievable amount of air.

but i will call you anyway paul:flipoff2:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts