Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought that I would work up a gallery to keep you all up to date on the Estay Crawler. I have loaded progress pictures here for your viewing pleasure... (The pictures all have captions with descriptions. Thought it would be better to host them on my site than to eat up Lance's bandwidth. Oh wait thats not possible.)

http://www.smjc.net/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=Paiges-4-Link-Crawler-build-up

Here's the plan,

Phase I
Cromoly Steel 4-link front and rear.
Dana 60's with Spools and 6.17 R&P's
LS1 engine
TH350 Tranny
Atlas 4.3 to 1 T-case
Stretched Wheel base to 106"
44" Boggers on Bead locks

Phase II
Rear Steer

No bolt on Crap. This is ground up fab. This isn't going to be a huge tech write up but a picture is worth a 1,000 words.

Here's a little taste to get you started.

·
Registered
270 Posts
glad to see someone else from mississippi on here i am doing a tj build up but not as sweet as that thought good luck

·
Registered
626 Posts
Love to see such nice YJ come to life

GOOD JOB !!!!!
I am building a very similar rig...... Keep me posted.
By the way my XCL 4link works nice, I will make my own 4link, on my new rig, but based on the XCL !!!
It is super flexible and rides nice on he street too.

I plan to swap in a LS1 too but with a manual.

Eduardo

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I will definitely keep adding pictures of the build up. We had a rough weekend here with other work projects and didn't get any progress on the YJ. This week though we will be lifting (Home made body lift. Stop laughing this isn't what you think. No wood blocks. You will like this little trick.) and trimming on a 74 CJ6 to make room for 37" Boggers. I will post picks of that little project on another thread.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Solid poly boat rollers. They come in 12" rollers they are seamless. Not like a typical body lift that is a hollow hard plastic puck. I will post some pics and the link here soon. I got enough to do my lift and some extra for $12 from www.boatfix.com and the grade 8 hardware for another $18. Thats $30 for a custom body lift that I feel is alot better than one you can go out and buy.

Plus you can make it any size you want. You could cut the 12" rollers in half and run a 6" body lift. Cool. Or you could stack 5 hockey pucks up at each location. That would be cool also. J/K.

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
oooohhh.. 6" body lift. That would be cool. Actually, if I used the whole thing as a 12" body lift, do you think I could fit some 49" iroks on my tow rig? that would be sweet. :D

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Man I hadn't even thought of that but I plan on building some 6" lift shackles to go with the 6" body lift so I will get the 12" anyway. I really want to run some tractor tires.

:flipoff2:

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK more pictures have been added to link at the top of this thread.

We have completed the upper and lowers in the front and the rear. Most everything on the links is ready to come back off for clean up final welds and paint. Spring buckets are next and building the 60's. Take a look and see what you think. Most of the heim connections are made of 3"x3"x.25" steel tube instead of tabs. MORE BEEF.

Suggestions, comments, whatever.

PS Yes we are way behind schedule to make Gardendale on the 6th of Feb. but we make it somewhere sometime.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
I think your rear axle bridge is going to break off of the axle tubes. It needs to be braced forward and backward. I would add a gusset down toward the pinion on the diff. Also the front center mount, I don't know. It is better than the rear, because it isn't as tall. Looks like a cool build up and I know how much work goes into something like that...I'm doing it myself right now.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Please tell me your not going to use springs on this?:confused: :flipoff2:

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We are having some $$$$$$$$$ issues right now. I know that Paige has invested around 12K in parts and materials right now. We may put springs on for a short time until we can do coil overs. Sucks but thats life. Rear stearing is part of the project also that has been scrapped for the time being.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts