Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 94 yj i just picked up for cheap!!! the radiator is missing. any suggestions for a replacement radiator that will be a better swap than an oe radiator? I'm taking the line that if something breaks, or is broken to upgrade when the repair is made. so this will be the first step.
also the alt. was ceased, and the alt. bracket broken. i have a spare 4.0 just kicking around, and that alt. bracket was also broken. is this common? does anyone know of an upgrade for the bracket? i had an alt. off from the spare 4.0 i have so no high zoot alt. yet. but i do have an optima red top to put in for now, and plan on adding another to help run what few electronics i will have in this rig (winch, a/c d/c converter....ect). while on the subject of accessories, the a/c compressor is missing. knowing that this rig is not going to be my plush trail ride, i removed the condensor, and the rest of the a/c components. when i bought the jeep though i did inherit a york air compressor. story goes it was on a cj with a 360 in it. if i can make it work than fantastic. just wondering if anyone else was running a compressor of simular design on their 4.0.
that takes care of some stuff. i have a ton more questions. just don't want the first blurb here to be too long. bore everyone to death. so if you made it this far thanks in advance for the help (if you do help).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok i can't wait.
as of right now the jeep sits on stock suspension. stock drivetrain (4.0, ax15, np231), and 31's. my goal immediatly is to get it running. you all read about that above.
after that though i would like to modify this thing to sit on interco 34.950.17 ltb's. i would like to add things that help with ground clearance. ie a flat belly. i'd like to add a c.h. of lift to clear the bigger tires.
my ideas include a shackle reversal. different shock mounts to fit a shock with more travel. not to sure about the rear. i don't like the idea of an add-a-leaf. i would think that would hamper articulation.
i'm pretty happy with the 4.0-ax15-231 combo. i don't really mind the hp d30 up front, but the d35 in the rear has got to go.
i have a pair of waggy d44's kickin around. not really sure if i want to build those asap and get them in there. or do i put some cheap gears and like a quick lock locker for now.
i don't have a ton of money, but the money that i do invest i want to count.
what have some of you done? what would you do?

·
Registered
105 Posts
(1)find a used radiator for cheap, put that in and see what shape your motor is in before spending $$$ on a fancy radiator.

(2)use the waggy 44's and convert to spring over.

(3)forget the locker for now

(4)search! there are tons of yj's on PBB, find one you like and work in that direction.

good luck

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like the idea of a used radiator. i'll have to consider that further.
i haven't meaured the d44's. does anyone know if the wms to wms is the same as the yj? or wider. perferably wider. i know when i bought them i had plans to put them in my zj. they were just a little wider than the factory zj axles.
the rear end should be easy. Make sure it's centered. adjust for pinion. shock location so on.....
my questions are mostly about the front. The drivers side leaf spring perch is cast into the housing. then the other mount would be set into place, and welded up after steering, pinion and everything is figured out. will that cast in mount be used, or some other method?
sorry for all of the newb questions, but i don't have the axles right next to the jeep to compare (working on that).
also the front axle does not have a flat top knuckle for high steer. will i have to change the knuckle to make that work?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Searching google will find a lot of info on the Waggy axles going into a YJ. Front narrow track is 60.5", wide track is 64.5". Not sure if the wide came in Wagoneer or just Cherokee. If you are keeping your NP231 transfer case, make sure it is a driver side drop front axle that came in the mid to late 70's. Wish I could help more, but my Waggy 44 isn't under my YJ yet.

·
Registered
310 Posts
www.extremeradiator.com for a great radiator at a good price.

I'd run the crap out of the stock stuff for a while.

I don't think there is a cheap way to regear and lock any axle.

I was getting ready to go down the Waggy 44 path, when I realized that for a little more cash, I could build 60's. So I am finishing up the 60's right now.

If you have trouble with the Dana 35, you might be able to find a ford 8.8 with a limited slip that has gears that match your current front. That would be a relatively cheap and easy upgrade.

Wheel the stuff you got for a while and figure out were you want to go with your build. It will be cheaper in the end.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Searching google will find a lot of info on the Waggy axles going into a YJ. Front narrow track is 60.5", wide track is 64.5". Not sure if the wide came in Wagoneer or just Cherokee. If you are keeping your NP231 transfer case, make sure it is a driver side drop front axle that came in the mid to late 70's. Wish I could help more, but my Waggy 44 isn't under my YJ yet.
Good info on the wheel mount surfaces. the pig is on the drivers side. i made sure.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
www.extremeradiator.com for a great radiator at a good price.

I'd run the crap out of the stock stuff for a while.

I don't think there is a cheap way to regear and lock any axle.

I was getting ready to go down the Waggy 44 path, when I realized that for a little more cash, I could build 60's. So I am finishing up the 60's right now.

If you have trouble with the Dana 35, you might be able to find a ford 8.8 with a limited slip that has gears that match your current front. That would be a relatively cheap and easy upgrade.

Wheel the stuff you got for a while and figure out were you want to go with your build. It will be cheaper in the end.
i like the idea of just running what i have for now. i would still like to get a flat belly. do things like that to help with ground clearance. at the same time i'll put the axles together with spare money.
has anyone ever swapped wheel studs to match a jeep 5 lug pattern. custom axles?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i was checking out mores catalog. they have a motor mount to raise the eng. one inch. it is supposed to help with drive line angles in the rear. would that one inch allow me to run a flat skid plate under the trans/transfer case?
has anyone run a set up like this?
the add says it's supposed to be run with a one in body lift.
i tried to call them all day friday, but kept getting an answering machine.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Cheap

The best way to run bigger tires is to cut metal. If you want flares run TJ flares. Makes a huge difference and is cheap Except the flares. The one inch body lift is helpfull in a few areas. There is a huge aftermarket for YJ's Good luck. I am getting close to completing mine.

·
Registered
105 Posts
i was checking out mores catalog. they have a motor mount to raise the eng. one inch. it is supposed to help with drive line angles in the rear. would that one inch allow me to run a flat skid plate under the trans/transfer case?
has anyone run a set up like this?
the add says it's supposed to be run with a one in body lift.
i tried to call them all day friday, but kept getting an answering machine.
raising the engine will reduce your rear driveline angle, raising the engine AND transfer case will increase your rear driveline angle.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^^^^^^^^ My goal with raising the eng/trans/transfer case was to beable to mount a flat belly skid plate.
do i have to raise the eng. for a flat belly skid?
i haven't found many skids. haven't looked hard enough i guess. found one from nth degree mobility. very expensive though. well worth it i'm sure.
any other suggestions?
the questions i really need answered is to match the 1.5" lift a shackle reversal will give me in the front, what do i have to do in the rear?
i am also eye balling more's long travel shock conversion for the front and rear. longer shocks allow for more travel. figured i couldn't go wrong.
so far my goal is a shackle reversal. match the rear somehow. longer shocks. flat belly. a one inch body lift/polyurethane body mounts. and atleast 34.10.50.17 ltbs. it not an interco 35" tire, since they will only measure 33-34" anyway. trying to stay low and run a larger tire for now.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Are you planning an engine swap ever? If SBC or Ford, consider buying the radiator you'll need once, the first time. It'll cool a 4.0 without a problem.

·
Registered
21 Posts
KILLERyj

Here is my yj on waggy 44's. they are only about an inch wider than stock and im running some 35 x 12.5 on 3.5" bs.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
maybe someday i'll run a v8. but that will be so far down the road the rad. will probably need to be replaced anyway.
your jeep looks killer. i plan on doing a shackle reversal. i'd like to hear some feed back on that installation.
that waggy axle swap. how did you get the drivers side leaf spring mount to work? i know that the mount is cast into the housing. i've heard i'll need to remove some of the housing to make it work.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts