Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to remove the pass. side outer knuckle from my D30. I've loosened the castle nuts and got the top ball joint loose but the bottom won't budge. I was hitting the top of the knuckle with a hammer to no avail. How hard can I whack it without breaking it? Is there some sort of puller I can use on the bottom ball joint? Can I use heat?

·
Registered
8,891 Posts
I used a combination of things to get mine out. Used alot of PB blaster penatrating oil and light use of heat around the joints to break the rust loose. I bought a balljoint press from Harbor freight. Also got some press sleeves made for the D30 from a friend. They made the job easier.

There is a great write up at Mad XJ that goes through the entire process of removing and installation. Installation is for adjustable ball joints but the ideas the same.

Some will say beat on it till the knuckle falls off but I didn't want to break of an ear or something.

If you have questions after reading the article feel, post em.

Johann

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that's a great article. I don't need to replace the ball joints. The removal is to machine and drill the knuckle for the MORE high-steer kit bracket installation. The ball joint press is of no use to me but I've seen another press/puller for I think rod ends. It's got a half circle flange that grabs around the stud. I think I could use that on the lower joint to pull the knuckle off. I used my small pitman puller on the upper joint the same way and it worked to loosen it up but this kind of puller won't fit on the lower part of the knuckle.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Originally posted by kutyafal:
<STRONG> The removal is to machine and drill the knuckle for the MORE high-steer kit bracket installation.</STRONG>
Let me know how you like the steering setup after you get it on, I am considering buying it. I am assuming you are SOA.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I used an 8 LB Sledge, My axle wasn't on the Jeep so I could get a full swing on it, I broke the crown nut first then mushroomed the ball joint pretty good, but she let go. I wouldn't worry to much aboout breaking the ear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts