Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 90wrangler and my dipstick has been leaking for some time now and i think it's time to fix it. well when i went to get the dipstick out i noticed that behind the nut that holds the ground for the battery there is some kind of inverted hex bolt or something that holds the dipstick in place, i can't figure out what size socket this is or wiether or not i can even get it off. I have used all kinds of socket types but just keep spinning on it might have striped it out i guess All i need to know is what kind of socket do i need for this thing or how do you get it off?any help would be great, oh and also it's a 4 banger motor.thx.

·
Registered
6,561 Posts
It's a Torx screw. Just get a small set of sockets or Allen wrench style kit with Torx ends.
Same as the screws that hold the side bars to the windshield frame.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
90wrangler said:
i have a 90wrangler and my dipstick has been leaking for some time now and i think it's time to fix it. well when i went to get the dipstick out i noticed that behind the nut that holds the ground for the battery there is some kind of inverted hex bolt or something that holds the dipstick in place, i can't figure out what size socket this is or wiether or not i can even get it off. I have used all kinds of socket types but just keep spinning on it might have striped it out i guess All i need to know is what kind of socket do i need for this thing or how do you get it off?any help would be great, oh and also it's a 4 banger motor.thx.

and you built this jeep in your sig???????:flipoff2:

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Re: yj dipstick question?

rockr said:

and you built this jeep in your sig???????:flipoff2:
yeah i built this jeep:flipoff2:
i have always just not cared about my jeep leaking oil just thought of it marking its spot but now it bothering me and i want to fix it, but every time i try to change it i can't get that bolt off.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Re: Re: Re: yj dipstick question?

90wrangler said:

yeah i built this jeep:flipoff2:
i have always just not cared about my jeep leaking oil just thought of it marking its spot but now it bothering me and i want to fix it, but every time i try to change it i can't get that bolt off.

just seems a little odd that you can swap axles and all the other mods but can't hang tough on the dipstick :)

·
Registered
12,465 Posts
What seems odd to me is the fact that you have a trail worthy Jeep and do not know what a torx is nor have both KINDS of torx sockets in your tool kit :eek:

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Keith Strong said:
What seems odd to me is the fact that you have a trail worthy Jeep and do not know what a torx is nor have both KINDS of torx sockets in your tool kit :eek:

hmmmmmmmmmm

do we smell fish here :)

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
just not something that i'm worried about, but just got to changing it now, and was just wondering if i was using the right tool because i don't want to strip it out, and since i'm using the right tool i think i will have to do something else to get it off.

·
Administrator
63,764 Posts
Keith Strong said:
Hell...even I know what they are and have torx sockets in my tools! ;)

I think the point the guys are trying to make is that its kinda tough to build a jeep and not have run across these before now. :roxy:

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i have the tool that are supposed to work but still can not get the thing off, it's being a little bitch and does not want to losen up

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
The only tool he needs in his box is vice grips and crescent wrenches!! I didn't have any torx wrenches so I just used vice grips. Worked like a charm.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i tried using vice grips couldn't get the damn things in there:flipoff2:

·
Registered
6,561 Posts
With your mad fab skills I figured you would have tack welded a nut to the torx head by now.
Kind of making a mountain outta mole hill here.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
JeepinDoug said:
With your mad fab skills I figured you would have tack welded a nut to the torx head by now.
Kind of making a mountain outta mole hill here.
that is what i'm going to do i think

·
Registered
41 Posts
dude i would have drilled/torched...it out by now

p.s
it is curious that you build this jeep in you sig looks nice though

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
don't know why everyone keeps talking about the jeep I as in me, built. I spend more time and money in my jeep and less time worring about little things such as a small leak just needed some stupid advice that is why it is in the newbie forum

·
Registered
12,465 Posts
You are not gonna get it apart. I just went through all this on a rebuild last week. I ended up BREAKING the torx head off that bolt and finally just cut the bolt up to get the ground wire off it and replaced it with a new bolt ;)

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I may be wrong.. But is the 4 banger dipstick tube held in place with a double stud design?? I believe that the bolt that holds the dipstick in has a threaded half that goes into the block and the other side is also a stud that the nut holds the batt. cable to.. If this is the case with yours, remove the cable, put one nut onto the stud, and then add a second nut and lock the 2 nuts up tight.. Now put a socket on the top nut and back the stud out..

BTW.. if it is the "socket" I think it is a female torx somewhere around a T35 or so. So, all of you busting balls.. post me a picture of this socket that you have in your tool box.. Cuz even I don't even have those sockets in my snap-on box..

BTW.. is this the bolt??

1 - 19 of 19 Posts