Pirate 4x4 banner

621 - 640 of 838 Posts

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #621
Had a great trip to Swamp Lake this weekend. It was a great change of pace from the usual JV rig-mashup.

Stopped for lunch on Day 2.

Giant mining equipment pieces. We debated on what they were, basically we decided it was a midget cannon - or giant sub woofer.

More leftover stuff....

Beautiful views everywhere this trip. Hard to fully capture it.

Giant meadow - my favorite place on the trail by far.

Couldn't get Ashley (my fiance) out of the driver seat once she got a taste of it. Dope. I think she is ready to take on Sledge Hammer now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just spent the last 3 days at work reading this between design jobs.... fawk man... you're wicked talented... this thread has also been a real motivation because I just picked up a YJ and it needs a fair amount of work (nothing like the degree that you've done). I've been trying to figure out for a couple weeks of how I will address the frame rot in the rear leaf section... and now I just think I'm going to back-half it and do something redicutarded and bad ass.

Congrats... that's one bitchin' yj/hybrid/buggy/dakkar/megatron thingy!

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #623
I just spent the last 3 days at work reading this between design jobs.... fawk man... you're wicked talented... this thread has also been a real motivation because I just picked up a YJ and it needs a fair amount of work (nothing like the degree that you've done). I've been trying to figure out for a couple weeks of how I will address the frame rot in the rear leaf section... and now I just think I'm going to back-half it and do something redicutarded and bad ass.

Congrats... that's one bitchin' yj/hybrid/buggy/dakkar/megatron thingy!
Thanks for the compliments - glad you enjoyed the read.

A project like this only happens with the help of good friends who know more than I do about fab, wiring, etc. :D

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #624
I finished my windshield today. Cutting the Speedglass out with a jigsaw was super easy.

It turned out pretty clean...

One thing I didn't expect is now I can REALLY smell exhaust fumes. Also, I can really feel the heat buildup in the cab area with the windshield on while driving around the neighborhood. There are a couple holes in my fire wall that need to be filled, that will help keep the heat under control.

Maybe with no windshield before the air movement through the cab didn't allow any heat buildup. It sure is noticeable now.

I'll give this setup a whirl over New Years. If it's unbearable I can always take it off. The extra warmth may be nice for winter, but there is no way this will be comfortable for summertime wheeling.

·
Registered
5,118 Posts
I finished my windshield today. Cutting the Speedglass out with a jigsaw was super easy.

It turned out pretty clean...

One thing I didn't expect is now I can REALLY smell exhaust fumes. Also, I can really feel the heat buildup in the cab area with the windshield on while driving around the neighborhood. There are a couple holes in my fire wall that need to be filled, that will help keep the heat under control.

Maybe with no windshield before the air movement through the cab didn't allow any heat buildup. It sure is noticeable now.

I'll give this setup a whirl over New Years. If it's unbearable I can always take it off. The extra warmth may be nice for winter, but there is no way this will be comfortable for summertime wheeling.
I wondered how it was. I remember DJ complaining when his was more opened. Do you have any interior insulation, like lizardskin to help with the heat? Does the exhaust resonate in the cab more? Still looks sweet, I can only hope mine comes out as clean. Ever give another look at H or X piping it?

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #627 (Edited)
Where does the exhaust terminate?
It terminates behind the rear axle. Although admittedly I do have small leaks at the header connections. I'm sure that is the source.

The exhaust does resonate much more with the windshield on too.

No insulation on the floor. Haven't needed it so far.

I was going to H-pipe it back in the day, but said F-it after spending a bajillion hours building what I have.

·
Premium Member
1,835 Posts
Windshield looks great, but yes it is amazing how much more heat you get inside the cab by having it.

·
Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
41,536 Posts
I was going to H-pipe it back in the day, but said F-it after spending a bajillion hours building what I have.
H-pipes are too hard to package in Jeeps IMO.

The f100 terminates behind the cab. Airflow is key to keep fumes down . Turndowns towards the side helps a bunch.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #631
So maybe this is common knowledge, but I didn't figure this out until recently...

My transmission temperature gauge was not working after I relocated the sensor to an inline cooler hose fitting. The sensor is designed to ground through whatever it is installed in. (trans pan before this worked fine). I added a ground wire to the aluminum AN fitting the sensor is threaded in to and it still didn't work.

Hmmmm, then I had an ah-ha moment. The anodized coating acts as an insulator. After filing off a small area of the coating for the ground wire the gauge started working again. I'm celebrating this small victory with a beer.

Cool story bro. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #633
I was going through old pics, and found this gem. Celebrity appearance by Justin Baker.

Packaging of the front end has slightly improved :flipoff2:

Getting stoked for New Years. Carry on. :grinpimp:

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #635
I was topping off fluids this weekend and found some metallic paste and little metal flecks in my rear 60.

Pulled the cover and everything looked okay. At the outer edge of the ring gear it looks like someone took a file and broke all the sharp edges - just barely. That is clearly the source of the metal found in the oil.

Diff is tight, bearings feel okay. I cleaned out the inside of the diff and refilled it with fingers crossed.

Any thoughts on the cause? My only idea is when the truss was welded on it warped the diff enough to throw off the R&P setup. Diff makes no noise, etc.

·
Registered
7,719 Posts
Probably worth checking the pattern to make sure the gears are still setup correctly. Maybe drive it on over to your local Aamco? :flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #638
Probably worth checking the pattern to make sure the gears are still setup correctly. Maybe drive it on over to your local Aamco? :flipoff2:
I already threw it all back together, I'll just keep my fingers crossed.

I want to put an ARB in the rear. When I do I'll swap the gears out with a fresh set of 4.88's and new bearings. So hopefully this setup lasts another year!

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #640
I took out the valve and pressure sensor on my accumulator. Now it's open to the motor at all times.

The pressure sensor started taking a shit again so I pulled it out. I can see why these racer types opt out of the valve & sensor.

I timed the oil dischargee. Takes about 30 seconds to go from 40 psi to 10 psi. That will keep my motor safe during momentary oil pressure losses.

621 - 640 of 838 Posts