Pirate 4x4 banner

801 - 820 of 838 Posts

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #806
Cool to see this thread still being updated after all these years, and this rig still being used and abused. Reading this thread is what got me hooked on Pirate4x4 and LCG Jeep builds. I followed it regularly for a few years before I even joined this site. Good stuff!

:beer:
Thanks! This place used to be my home for sure. I was glad all the pics are still hosted, haha.

·
Registered
19,455 Posts
Haven't put much thought into it to be honest. Been focused on making it all fit.

Any suggestions? Worth looking at EBC high zoot pads with a hodge podge setup?
It was my experience chasing pads that there are different applications for different uses. I boiled it down to the operating temperature needed to get them sticky. So they make stupid hard pads that take lots of heat for longevity. Then they make pads that turn on at low temps. That's probably what you're after since it is mostly crawling.

I haven't done any research on the pads for your calipers but it is worth asking the manufacturer what they suggest to get what you want.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
https://youtu.be/X69fhFXfaHE

Local trail exit - the CO boys will recognize it.
Nice! What's your wheelbase? My buddy and I are both 107" and both bounced for ever on that big ledge, front tires 6" from the top, and just couldn't get that last little bit. Guy behind us was at 112" and made it easy.

Glad to see your rig out on the trails. Always enjoyed the build thread.

If you ever get out to Montrose and want to hit the Spring Creek trails, I'd be happy to go out.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #809
Nice! What's your wheelbase? My buddy and I are both 107" and both bounced for ever on that big ledge, front tires 6" from the top, and just couldn't get that last little bit. Guy behind us was at 112" and made it easy.

Glad to see your rig out on the trails. Always enjoyed the build thread.

If you ever get out to Montrose and want to hit the Spring Creek trails, I'd be happy to go out.
112" wheel base

I haven't wheeled the Western Slope yet. On my list for sure

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #810
Rotors:
I found a local machine shop to bore out the center holes. Finn Mototech in Broomfield if you're interested.

Great group over there -- they're down for the cause.

Did the fronts & rears.
Rear rotors are off of a 78 F-150 (right) 11.75"
Fronts are an 06 SRT-10 pickup (left) 13.7"

Got the rear put back together. Ended up using EBC Yellowstuff Pads. Hopefully their shit is still legit despite Brexit :flipoff2:

New Napa semi-loaded calipers too. 88 Grand Waggy (same as all 1/2-ton single piston)

Wheel Studs:
With the rotor fitting over the hub v/s on the back I needed another wheel stud. The knurl needed to be different.

Note how the old stud is made to accommodate a rotor pressed on. New stud has knurl all the way to the head.

Left: 88 F-350 front stud. 9/16" (not sure on part number)
Right: Dorman 610-188.1 --- 9/16" 81 Chevy Somethingoranother

I added some spacers behind the studs so the wheel lugs set properly. All in all pretty straightforward w/a little research & mockup.

Finally justified the space my press takes up in the garage :smokin:

Rotors on the outside of the hub:

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #812
Cut the existing caliper brackets. They'll be modified for the larger rotor & caliper position.

Hub on w/o rotor. Looks weird.

Mockup -- shit fits. You can see the caliper bracket mods required....

Front v/s Rear. This will be a great improvement.

More to come.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #813
Sadly my original HDS-5 Baja GPS died a miserable death due to an electrical issue (caused by me :flipoff2:)

R.I.P. (picture circa 2010)

These small units are now obsolete -- I shipped my old unit to PCI for repair and they offered a credit toward a replacement HDS-7 Gen-3. Sure why not!

The screen quality has improved a ton! Good job Lowrance.

In other news, I had Yellowtop Optima last 13-years. Just replaced it. (probably could have squeezed another season out of it)

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #816
My original radiator has been leaking for a few seasons.
Tired of limping it along -- I'll be cleaning up a couple hack items + hopefully improving performance:

I'll be transferring my Spal fans + shroud onto the new unit.

I picked up these freeze plugs a while ago to eliminate my thermostat. I know there are a lot of opinions out there on this topic. Here is mine: will be better :flipoff2:

Pulled the brains out of my thermostat housing --

The freeze plug goes where the small plunger part of the thermostat seats inside the water pump. I had to "machine" the OD of the freeze plug for a better fit. I ended up using a press to get it to seat (after mangling a couple with a drift/hammer).

The electric fans will be responsible for managing temperature now.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #818
Why not just run a thermostat again?....
Cooling has always been an issue for my rig. When I'm gettin it on high speed stuff I still see temps creep up to 230+.

The size of my radiator (26x16) is small by today's standards for LS power.
With the 'stat removed water will always flow through the radiator.

Making the most of what I have.

·
NERD
8,563 Posts
Cooling has always been an issue for my rig. When I'm gettin it on high speed stuff I still see temps creep up to 230+.

The size of my radiator (26x16) is small by today's standards for LS power.
With the 'stat removed water will always flow through the radiator.

Making the most of what I have.
I don't run a thermostat and I think my radiator is about that size or maybe even smaller. No issues as long as the Volvo fans kick on and my shroud needs to be enclosed still. :homer:

·
Registered
614 Posts
been a while since I've logged onto Pirate and lo and behold... my favorite build of all time is alive and well :smokin:

801 - 820 of 838 Posts