Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How far can you stretch the front of the YJ without changing the steering box?

Probably a couple inches (if that)?

Easiest way to stretch the front still waggy springs?

Thanks.

·
Registered
613 Posts
xj springs worked for me. had to make a short pitman arm just told the old arm and cut about 1 1/2 of and drilled a 1/2 hole and used a rod end steering link set up.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm 3" forward with the stock box/pitman arm in the stock location and it works ok. For steering I run stacked heims on the passengerside knuckle.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I'm in the process of linking the front of mine with a waggy 44 and was under the assumption I'd have to get the astro box. It's sitting on the factory leafs for now, but I pushed it out 6" and rebolted it to the springs. The steering gear output is centered directely over the tie rod. So the way I see it the drag link would have the same angle weather it's to the rear with the factory box vs. to the front with the astro box and IMO it's better to have it tucked up behind than having the pitman arm hanging out the front and getting snagged.

Maybe it's the way my 44 is set-up but you may want to see what it looks like with your axle pushed out to where you want it before deciding which one to go with.

·
Registered
705 Posts
i am going to try and put on waggys this weekend and i will let you know!

·
Registered
186 Posts
I've got the waggy springs and I pushed an additional inch forward initially. I found out that it would hit the pumpkin occasionally. I'm back to the waggy stretch for a little while until I get my steering fixed up.

·
Registered
705 Posts
any issues with having high steer and waggy stretch?

i think the pitman arm might be a problem...

·
Registered
253 Posts
I used the stock springs and moved the spring hangers forward. I moved them about 5 inches. In the process I did a shackle reversal and used boomerang shackles in the rear. I have a high steer setup on a front ford dana 60. I had to go with the stock pitman arm because the drop down one would've bound up.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Any pics of this set up withnthe moved yj springs? Thinking about doing it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts