Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been noticing that thier have been oil under my jeep after I drive it. It is a 2.5cyl, and the motor only has about 90,000 miles on it.. It looks to be coming from the dipstick tube.So I replaced the oil dipstick. and it still comes out.. I would put this in Newbie tech. but nobody knows whats going on and i searched but found nothgin so im resorting to this. Thanks for any info

·
Registered
45 Posts
Check the o-ring where the dipstick tube goes into the block. I had the same problem you are having, and that was the source of my problem.. and only happened when driving, not in the driveway...

Hope that helps,

Bob

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I replaced the tube it came with a new o ring and it still does it.. Only does it after driving it

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes that sounds like a fantastic idea! UM part number?i tried to get one from the factory and they dont have one for me it

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
sorry cant help you on the part number,ive always looked mine up in the books at wallyworld they usually carry them.

·
Dabbler
2,161 Posts
Buy the UV engine oil dye kit for about $15-degrease your engine and add it. Run it one day and look at where the oild dye lights up under a blacklight of the included pen light. It should lead you back where the leak is coming from.

You can get the kits from some auto parts stores or here:

http://www.etoolcart.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=7337

http://www.all-tool.com/BY_MASTER_CATAGORY/Diagnostic_Tools/Water_Oil-Exhaust_Leak_Detect/Water_Oil-Exhaust_Leak_Detect/water_oil-exhaust_leak_detect_7.htm

I use the dye and a blacklite bulb in my garage at night with the lights off-or you can buy the UV leak detector pen that is commonly used for AC systems.

You might also call around to equipment dealers (like case and john deere as they use the same stuff for hydraulic leaks)

·
Registered
190 Posts
then take the one you have to the store, and find one that matches.

BTW- PCV valves never really go bad, they get clogged, usually a shot of carb cleaner will clear things out.

a little hostile today?

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I have the same problem, and I am replacing the gasket on my distrubutor shaft. I have also replaced the rubber gaskets on the PCV valve and that other thing on the back of the valve cover.

Try cleaning the engine with some really good stuff (like simple green), then drive it for a while and park it. You should be able to determine where the leak is after that.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts