Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been stalled on this project for quite a while now http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=450342 and have been considering different motor options. There are the usual options but space/length is an issue. Electric motors have interested me for along time as a good fit for trail use. The on demand power, weight distribution advantages and near silent running tempt me to give it a try. I think a torque converter and a high quality control would be important. What might some of you with knowledge in this area think? http://www.cloudelectric.com/inc/sdetail/590
Thanks, Tyson

·
Registered
229 Posts
Ummm....I don't know a damned thing about automotive electric motors, but have you looked at the the weight of higher HP eletric motors? They aint light...

·
Registered
192 Posts
check out www.rasertech.com in a nut shell they figured out how to make a more efficient electric motor. think 300 HP motor in a 100HP packaging. As far as i know still unavailable to general public. but a lot of cool tech and ideas on the web page. I think it would be a killer idea to see some integration into a rock truck.

looking forward to seeing the progress on this project. its always had my attention.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
When I used to work at Genie making the blue man lifts I was always toying around with this idea in my mind.

To get it to work you'd have to haul a ton or 2 of batteries and then after all of that it wouldn't be liquid-proof.

It would be cool as hell though!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input, all of these are valid observations. The weight of the motor and batteries is substantial and must be balanced against power and range concerns. I like the ability to position this weight almost anywhere I want it and was thinking I wouldn't need much more than a fifty mile range for most extreme trails. One thing that concerns me is the shaft diameter of most electric motors. The shaft does not look strong enough for shock loading but must be rated for motor output? This is one of the reasons I am thinking of coupling the motor via torque converter. Maybe if I think about this long enough the advanced motor and battery technologies will become more readily available and make this application more feasible. I must admit there is still something inspiring about the rumble of a big block though!
Tyson

·
Registered
1 Posts
Been following your buildup for awhile now, looks like it's gonna be fun.

I don't think using a torque converter w/the motor would be necessary and would sap energy faster than you'd probably like. With an electric motor you don't even really need a clutch, it's easier on the synchros and such to have one, but adds alot of rotating mass without... if you aren't worried about regenerative braking ability you could use some kind of sprag clutch... you might be able to shift faster as well as the input shaft rotating mass would be reduced which is the problem with no clutch, the input shaft rotating mass is massive which is hard on the syncros and such. The regenerative braking ability on a rock rig would be wonderful to have though, it's almost as powerful as brakes if the motor controller you use supports it.

There's a swap a guy did into a Jeep that is well documented and he's been very pleased with it - http://www.driveev.com/jeepev/

You happen to have any parts leftover from the 421 that you don't need? If so and you'd like to sell them, pm me, my 421 needs lots of transplants...

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
go Hybrid; or at least install a generator to charge batteries.

simplest hybrid is a liquid fuel powered engine on one axle and elecric on the other. on uphills you kick in the lying in wait motor or engine to help keep highway speeds. Same for take off from dead still. On flat cruiseing (and while crawling) you use just one motor/axle. Kick in both for 4wd.

Liquid motor gas or diesel could have a generator to charge battaries. I say diesel to get low end torqe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts