Pirate 4x4 banner

YJ on 421's

28905 Views 62 Replies 20 Participants Last post by  Tyson Pfenneberger
Here are some pics and info on my project Jeep. My goal is an all purpose all weather vehicle that preforms like a Mog and allows enough room for family and some gear. The approach is simple and straight forward. I do not wish to reinvent what the Mercedes engineers already know. Therefore the base chassis is mostly stock, just rearranged. This is the donner vehicle, 1973 421 Unimog.

Attachments

See less See more
1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Donner body, 1987 Jeep YJ

Attachments

See less See more
Chassis stretched to 109" Front and rear steer.

Attachments

See less See more
Rear torque tube also installed up front.

Attachments

See less See more
4x2 eight speed trans with the lower gear set removed to create a 4 speed transfer case and be able to retain the torque tubes.

Attachments

See less See more
Stock steering box. I might change this for clearance concerns. Overall width is approx 74.5"

Attachments

See less See more
Jeep body getting close to completion.

Attachments

See less See more
Dunlop SPT 9 405 70R 20 tires on 11-20 rims. I may change to Iroks in the future. I will post more as progress is made.

Attachments

See less See more
The frame design is what led me to try a project like this. Straight tip to tip with brackets, buckets and trans mount that made stretching it very simple. Relocating rear tube to front gave me the 109" wheel base. So basically a completely stock drivetrain with a more desirable wheel base and only slightly more caster up front.
As for the differences in axles? The early 411's had the 404 style axles only narrower. Apparently the late model 411's have the same housings as the 421, 406, and 416's. The ratios seem to differ a little, mine are 8.89 to 1. I will have to check on widths and such. I am counting on the strength being far better than a 60. Even if it were equal to a 60, how could anyone pass up the extra clearance. ???
I hope this helps and thanks for the kind comments, Tyson

Attachments

See less See more
Yes, I believe so. Piston collar sealed by o ring and sliding within axle tube, putting pressure on spring to engage locking collar. Sure would be nice to have the definative answers that Jack used to provide so graciously.:beer:
Yikes!

:confused: WOW! I don't think I have been so "WRONG!!" before. I think we have a Unimog guru offering us enlightenment.
Let's see; apparently / readily seen, visable. Not exactly!
I am all for enlightenment but if I am reading the attitude correctly, This Guru can stay on his mountain top.
Cheers
I understand now! Sometimes I make the mistake of confusing a language barrier for attitude. Sorry! I should not assume that everyone can read english. Thanks for your input.
Heh Heh Heh! Highjack? No worries, Just happy to be in such good company!:smokin:
Width concerns

Yep, I tend to agree. My plan is to complete the build as is and then do some testing. It does seem a little narrow. I think what allows Unimogs to get away with this is the weight of the drivetrain. Eventually I am going to use some reversable unimog wheel centers and make some beadlocks that allow me to turn them in for the current width and then reverse them for better stability. I like these axles for their width. I figure it is much easier to start narrow and adjust to the most desirable width, also the weight should be slightly less. And yes, the turn radius might be just shy of full lock right now. I think it will rub the frame with a fair amount of suspension articulation. Man! nothing gets by you guys. I will have to take pictures from farther away :idea:

Attachments

See less See more
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
If I can not get the width I want with backspacing, then I would resort to the addition of aluminum spacers. I doubt if I would go beyond 80" though. Also I do not want to expose too much of the portal box.
88mont; Not much progress lately, been focused on getting the 404.1 ready for Moab. Cheers, Tyson
Moab Vender Show Easter Jeep Safari

I will be leaving (tomorrow) Weds morning and spend most of the time at our booth inside the vendor show. Just look for the Unimog. The only other Unimog there is probably Tom Woods Drivelines.
I will also be trying to go out in early May with some other wheelers.
Hope to see you there, Tyson
mog bits

Sean
All I have left is the 2 speed pto, shafts and blocks. This is how the rest of it looks currently. Should be good for deep water!:D

Attachments

See less See more
1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.