Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I am building a multi-purpose Jeep to complement a more hardcore TJ. The YJ is intended for street use and trailrides, as well as play in the sand and snow. I am not desert racing it. That being said, I want the ride to be really nice on the street, but I don't want to have $10,000,000 into the YJ. So, I was thinking about a three link with ORIs up front and leafs in the back.

I know that the ride would be better with ORIs on all four corners, but I really don't want to go through the process of linking the back and the added cost of ORIs out back. Will keeping the leafs basically negate the ride characteristics of the ORIs, or can I still pull a nice ride out of it with the mix? The leafs are the RE SOA leaf packs.

Also, what length ORIs do you think would be best on something like this, 12" units? 10" units? 14" units?

Thanks in advance for any insight y'all can offer.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am already in the process of 3 linking it. I have had plenty of leaf sprung trucks - some soft and some harsh - in the past and just want something a bit more compliant. Thus, the 3 link...

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
Just do it in halves, build up the front with the ORIs and keep the back leaf sprung for a while. 14” ORI will fit the front. I’m building my front right now and should have gone with 16s, but it depends how much stretch / up travel you want, pushing the radiator fwd etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a set of new STX16s, but I am just concerned that they may be too much of a good thing. I would like to keep plenty of uptravel for a nice ride. I want to keep the belly of the frame at 24” and run 35” or 37” tires. I have to admit, I feel like I am trying to fit 10 pounds of shit in a five pound sack.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well, I just had to look up what ORI's are ... and I'm absolutely fascinated by the concept. I've seen a lot of different suspension setups in car racing, but this is a new one to me. It seems like a lot of performance in a very compact package.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I just had to look up what ORI's are ... and I'm absolutely fascinated by the concept. I've seen a lot of different suspension setups in car racing, but this is a new one to me. It seems like a lot of performance in a very compact package.
That is one of the great draws to the ORIs. They are great for something like a street Jeep or trail rig or crawler. I understand they suck on high speed desert racing. I’m not doing high speed desert racing with a street Jeep / trail rig, so I think they will be great in the front. The question is whether I am pissing in the wind if I keep the rear leaf sprung. Who knows...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts