Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I am newbie....so flame away....but any help will be appreciated.

Our project is for a rig that will see about 90% mud and sand due to our location. We want to fit 44" boggers underneath but I dont see them fitting. We currently have virtually everything to get this project underway but we are stuck with the decisions on the wheels.

We currently have the following:
chassis and tub from a '95 yj
ZZ 502 engine (500+ HP with 560+ torque)
D60 front from a chevy full width
14 bolt rear full width
nv4500
atlas II
lockers front and rear

We are planning a soa with 4" springs (possibly alcan)
SRS
2"BL
heavy use of a sawzall
full roll cage

The problem we have is that our buddy has the same setup with 39.5 boggers and it just doesnt look like it will fit. Is there anyway to get some more lift out of this rig? We are well aware of the cog issues. And due to the weight that will be on the front end it seems that custom made springs is the only way to go. So if you have any suggestions please speak up....oh and feel free to flame away.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This jeep will be used primarily on his land in deep south east tx...bayou and swamp country...deep gumbo mud...42's would work fine....but he wants 44"s just for the sake of having them. As far as mud goes (and I know this forum is for rock crawling) this is the most god awful country for it.

·
Registered
29,224 Posts
tx_longhorns said:
This jeep will be used primarily on his land in deep south east tx...bayou and swamp country...deep gumbo mud...42's would work fine....but he wants 44"s just for the sake of having them. As far as mud goes (and I know this forum is for rock crawling) this is the most god awful country for it.
If you go the opposite direction from your home town as you head for mud, you will find some rock crawling..........

Why not put smaller tires like 38s on, and build it to do a little bit of both. Hell, just get some portal axles with 38s you'll have almost the same clearance as 44s with the 14 bolt.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I don't see why you would need the 4" lift springs with SOA?? I am running 42s as well, SOA with 1.5" Superlift YJ leaves, YJ frame, CJ tub. I guess it depends alot on what you are after. I personally like being as low as possible with the big tires. I just trim the heck out of everything. When I go 44s after my 42s are bald, I don't plan on adding more lift. Just my newbie thoughts.:p

·
Registered
124 Posts
I think I'd be scared shitless running sand dunes w/ that much lift. I also don't think Boggers would work very well in the sand, seems like they would just dig rather than go forward. Just my 1.5 cents.

·
Registered
10,490 Posts
tx_longhorns said:
I'm not saying you don't need 44's, just saying you don't need potato salad hill amounts of lift to clear 44's.

·
Registered
764 Posts
500hp and a 12" lift?????????

WAIT!!!!!! Let me get the camera ready. This is gonna be some funny chit. Hope that cage isn't bolted to sheetmetal.

Seriously, concider something like this, unless it's a poseur rig.

·
Registered
764 Posts
LAME said:
Whadya mean come on???? What's wrong with hi-clearance hoods? You even sayed yourself "Just don't see why people love the super tall rigs".

As for your commentary in the photo, How am I supposed to know why the dumbass left the old perches. As for the bolts sticking out of the frame, they've probably been swaping bumpers for demo shots. ?????????

·
Registered
10,490 Posts
Buba said:

Whadya mean come on???? What's wrong with hi-clearance hoods? You even sayed yourself "Just don't see why people love the super tall rigs".

As for your commentary in the photo, How am I supposed to know why the dumbass left the old perches. As for the bolts sticking out of the frame, they've probably been swaping bumpers for demo shots. ?????????
Hood is fine. I didn't say anything about that. The bolt on SR makes me LOL, thats why I put the commentary:flipoff2:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
whats wrong with 500 HP? If you know how to use to go pedal correctly it shouldnt be a problem. Atleast I wouldnt think so. Seems like a waste to just let the motor sit there and rust out in the garage.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
LAME said:

Hood is fine. I didn't say anything about that. The bolt on SR makes me LOL, thats why I put the commentary:flipoff2:
maybe they were just trying to fit bigger tires so they could test the new hood they were getting to market, hmm sense it was there first jeep product on the market.... wow that may be to crazy of an idea.... now the front bumper bolts I have no idea how to explain that, its not like they designed there own front bumper for jeeps... oh wait they did!!

Ok back on topic.... wide+long+low+44"+500hp= alot of fun in the mud. Tall with stock wheel base and huge tires equals one scary ass ride when you tap the throttle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
we are not narrowing the axles.....both from a chevy d60 and 14 bolt...i dont have the exact measurements here...but they are quite a bit wider than the stock yj axles........stretching the wheelbase is another consideration, we have not looked into it yet.

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
Ok seen this before, done this before, If its for mud then it dosen't matter how tall you are, You need 4inch lift springs SOA, 3 body lift, using 1inch poly body mounts, for a total of a 4inch body lift, this is a bad idea for a daily driver, or a rockcrawler, but wont hurt for a mud bogger, Then use a little bit of a shackle lift, you should clear 44's no prblem, also flat fender the front, and cut the entire back out of the Jeep. Check out www.bluetorchfab.com and check out the Yellow YJ running 44's. this swap has been done time and time again, better get some heavy duty drive shafts, go with Highangle shafts, and your gonna need a traction bar with that motor in a Jeep, alos try lengthening the wheel base for more clearance for the tires.

·
Registered
10,490 Posts
NE-RokToy said:

maybe they were just trying to fit bigger tires so they could test the new hood they were getting to market, hmm sense it was there first jeep product on the market.... wow that may be to crazy of an idea.... now the front bumper bolts I have no idea how to explain that, its not like they designed there own front bumper for jeeps... oh wait they did!!
Fit bigger tires by using a (I think) Full Traction bolt-on SR kit? WTF are you on crack? You think All Pro couldn't fab or make a YJ tall enough. Also why would they need to make it so tall with a high clearance hood?:flipoff2: Try again:flipoff2: Mini and 4 Runner tech is where the All Pro ass kissing happens. This is the Specialty Parts ass kissing section, and there happens to be similar pics on that site:flipoff2: :D

·
Registered
778 Posts
If it's strictly for mud and sand, I'd rethink your drivetrain choices. Go with an auto (but beef the hell out of it). I'd suggest a TH400. Also, while the Atlas II is a great t-case, you would probably be better served (and money ahead) with a NP 205. Twin stick it and upgrade to 32 spline shafts and call it done.

I would DEFINITELY stretch the wheelbase to between 105"--110". This will give you more room for your drivetrain, and help with stability. You could use springs with offset centerpins, i.e. Waggy springs to accomplish this. The Rancho 44044 is a very popular spring over choice for YJs. They flex really well, but I don't know if they'll provide the lift you're looking for (@ 4" on a YJ). I believe that Black Diamond makes a 4" Waggy spring that will get you more height, but I have no experience with them so I can't comment on flex. Or, use a coil or 1/4 elliptical setup in the rear and set the rear axle wherever you want it. The links to locate it will prevent axlewrap as well. And, as pointed out above, get acquainted with your sawzall.

As for wheel choice, I'd go with at least 3.5" of backspacing. This will make the rig wide, probably upwards of 90" outside of tire to outside of tire, but it will give you some stability.

I agree with you, nothing wrong with 500 HP. A friend of mine had a CJ7 with a 468 that put out around 700 on the bottle. Just make sure you can get it to the ground safely.

Hope this helps, and sorry for the long post. Also, in addition to Blue Torch Fab, check out The Black Sheep for Jeeps on big rubber. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts