Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 92 Sahara and I want to improve the cage.
I have some pieces of DOM from a Cherokee cage (which I cut out when the XJ was parted)
I don't have a bender, but I do have a good MIG, and an Oxy-acetylene rig.

My question is this: for moderate useage, is the factory "sport-cage" good enough to use as a base for adding on the DOM?

I plan to use the scavenged a-pillars and then run some bars across the dash, windshield top, and behind the seats to mount 4-points.

I searched for tech articles, but all I really found were advertisements for upgrade kits.

·
Registered
11,647 Posts
Nothing wrong with the stock cage as a base. You might be hard pressed to build something that fits right using scavanged bends

I would replace the adjustable spreaders with some solid pieces though. This is mine.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

Thanks.
I'm rebending the a-pillar tubes by slightly straightening them, using heat.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Rockinjeep, did you build that or have it built for you? Where are you located in Texas? Send me a PM if you want, but I'd like some details on your cage. Thanks

·
Registered
690 Posts
Thanks.
I'm rebending the a-pillar tubes by slightly straightening them, using heat.
i heard something about if you heat the metal and then bend it, it loses a lot of its rigidity. dont quote me on it but im just giving you a heads up on what to watch for.

i also plan to use my stock cj roll bar and add a front hoop to it. although im just adding a front main hoop, the roof bars, and the cross bar above the dash. that way i will feel totally safe in case i happen to roll it. since i dont wheel the shit out of my jeep, i figured a basic tie into the factory cage would be strong enough. if you beat on your jeep i would start over and just custom make your cage out of full dom, or chromoly, that way you know you have 95K+ psi of tensile strength through the entire cage.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts