Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 463 Posts

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I fucking this up? I hope not, but I need 33" as it is to low with aired down 31". lower than a stock zuk. I also need more flotation on snow. The YJ spua have been working awesome for some years, great on and off road. Only thing I have always hated are the bolt on blocks for the rear springs.

I want to lift it 1.5" max and cut the rest. 1.5" springs in front and 2.5" OME in the rear, moving the spring mounts up and out of the way.

Got my 1.5" spring the other day, but they are 2.5" ! fawk :mad3: Its not like I can just return them back to the US. So I might be forced to do a hybrid pack. 2.5" main leaf and two stock YJ leafs. no idea how that will work out, hopefully it gets low enough and softer :confused: anyone tried?

the 33x13.5" LTBs have not arrived yet, and the car needs to pass inspection before I dig in.

so how it sits now: 1.6 16v with gixxers,flat belly, samurai axles on a sj413 frame with a 84 410 body. tintops where only available that year

front.jpg

innflexltb31.jpg

SAM_0375 (Medium).jpg

·
Registered
139 Posts
I pulled a couple leafs out of each pack of my OME and love the ride. they were a slight lift ( not as much as yours ) hope your hybrid works out for ya.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I pulled a couple leafs out of each pack of my OME and love the ride. they were a slight lift ( not as much as yours ) hope your hybrid works out for ya.

2.5" OME ?
I took out two leafs today and they sat about just where I want them, so I think mixing the 2.5" with the stock ones will work out. they will be about an inch longer eye to eye tough

I'm running stock YJ springs SPUA with 34" LTB's. It works awesome, and I love how low it is. Here is my build thread: http://bbs.zuwharrie.com/content/topic,63129.0.html

The second phase of the build with the 34's starts at the bottom of page 2.

I need to update it since I am done now and have been wheeling it.

I have always loved that rig, you seem to sit where I want to be at, what have you done about steering? stock drag link?

I hope to fit a ott steering, but I guess I`ll have to fab something there

·
Registered
705 Posts
stickers came out nice Shu !!

Dave

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I have always loved that rig, you seem to sit where I want to be at, what have you done about steering? stock drag link?

I hope to fit a ott steering, but I guess I`ll have to fab something there
Stock drag link, just 'double' sleeved it with a piece of tube and a piece of pipe after bending it a couple of times. Stock tie rod. I have a little bump steer due to the angle of the drag link, but because of how low it is, I can't do high steer or even half high steer since it will hit the frame at full bump/when flexed out. I am running the kick/track power steering with the box mounted on the Petroworks wedge bracket. Stock pitman arm on the box too.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, since anything not stock is not street legal I need to cover the tires to avoid attention. I have a set of rear king cab flares that will be pretty perfect. Good shape for cutting room to 33" and way better looking than jeep bushwhackers. A set of universal flares on the outside I will cover my tires and still be able to rest against the tires and not ripping flares off.

SAM_0636 (Medium).JPG

SAM_0638 (Medium).JPG

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
stickers came out nice Shu !!

Dave
yeah they did :smokin:

Stock drag link, just 'double' sleeved it with a piece of tube and a piece of pipe after bending it a couple of times. Stock tie rod. I have a little bump steer due to the angle of the drag link, but because of how low it is, I can't do high steer or even half high steer since it will hit the frame at full bump/when flexed out. I am running the kick/track power steering with the box mounted on the Petroworks wedge bracket. Stock pitman arm on the box too.
ok, thanks for the info. Just the same set up as I have now then. I will need to beef mine up too. I tried a dropped pitman arm once and I got a bigger negative angle than I have positive angle :rolleyes:

·
Registered
512 Posts
im super curious to see how those springs work for you. i was planning on adding some leaves to my pack to achieve the same thing.

·
Registered
512 Posts
the only complaints that i have about the LTBs that i had on my toyota(34x10.5) was that they wouldnt keep a line on wet rocks and they dug into snow easily. i loved them for hill climbs tight wooded trails and dry rocks. they got my through everything reasonable i tried.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The trxus isnt that great either on wet rocks.. your terrain sounds like mine, I loved the 31" LTBs

Made a pack of two upper 2.5" leafs and a number three leaf from a stock 4-pack. Seems to sit where I want. They are also longer so I need a new shackle mount.

Do the stock YJs have offset pins?I always thought they didn't.. these have, and I think I might run them backwards to move the front 20mm forward along with the re drilled perches :homer:

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
The stock YJ locating pins are centered. I wonder if they sent you the wrong spring altogether?

By the way, great looking truck, thanks for posting your build.

It kinda sucks that anything not stock is illegal for the road there.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks, The stickers on them said YJ 2.5". pretty odd, but Ill guess it will work out for the better. It is Rough country springs

luckily I have "springs that increase the height of vehicle" in my papers so I can put whatever on..kinda.. those where OME 2" i got it inspected with. but tires are close to impossible to get legal. axles and engine needs to be in the papers as well.. There are changes going on in the system so modded vehicles might be able to get legal in the future

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
The springs are an odd one for sure. I can measure my YJ springs if you are interested, I have an extra pair. I think they are 46 1/2? inches. The springs definitely supposed to be centered.

How far are your pins offset, and is there a part number on stenciled/painted on them? I wonder if you ended up with CJ's they have a slighty offset pin.

It's cool you can get papers to add things to your rig, it's even better that your law makers realize a need for vehicle modifications. It seems like in the U.S. we only make more laws, we never get rid of the old ones.

I've always admired your build Shuduck. You do great work and your rig is clean. I suppose it has to be to avoid attention. :D

-Sky

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I google`d the product number, "rough country 8012" and it shows YJs. not quite sure on the offset, I forgot to measure. google also tells me things like the big eye is in the wrong end, the caster shim is in backwards, and that they are offset 3". I dont trust jeepers and their tech tough. but whatever, I have worked it out :smokin:

thank you, and you are right, I need to keep it clean to avoid attention :grinpimp:

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The spring packs are very soft, I removed the bottom leaf and it is now two 2.5" leaves and a stock leave at the bottom (3rd leaf from the stock pack)

They still arc a lot, so I had to move the shackle up 50mm. and forward 20mm. this will alter my caster. A raise in one end of a 46.5" leaf will give an added angle of 2.42*. these are a bit longer so it will actually be a bit less. Assuming my caster was stock 3*. this gives me about 5.5* caster. this is what I measured with an angle finder and a level as well

The toyotas are fine with 6*, will this be suitable with the samurai axles, any opinion on this?

A mock up of shackle placement, seemed good.
SAM_0781 (Medium).JPG

Added some strength to the axles as the perches are in boarded and puts more leverage on the outer parts
SAM_0784 (Medium).JPG

ujoint angle.. which really is not there .. If it vibes a CV will solve this

SAM_0789 (Medium).JPG

compressed, the axle hit center of the bump stop before
SAM_0797 (Medium).JPG

old highly modded rocky road brackets

SAM_0799 (Medium).JPG

Got new mounts tacked on and it flexes great, pics when there is light

1 - 20 of 463 Posts