Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 60 of 463 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
So what do you have planned for the drear deck now? I've thought about cutting through the bed to fit the longer shocks (more uptravel) but haven't had the guts to break out the grinder yet.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
and I got a problems with the springs, I can raise the height 1" in the front by just lifting it by hand and it will sit there. All bushings are well lubed and all bolts loose. Hope they will settle after some use, it is truly pissing me off, been trying a lot of different spring pack combos, but ended up with the first pack.

problem is that it will sit crooked after I exit it. push passenger side down and it sits level

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
what type of diffs do you have? A spool won't help the vehicle sitting level if you just pulled into a spot turning

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
that rear deck is looking pretty good, heck the whole thing is. Nice job.

As for the springs, I am having the same issue in the right rear. If Anyone rides in it, or I put anything with any weight to it, on the passenger side it sags when the weight is gone.

Pull it up with your hands and it stays. It's starting to piss me off too. Like you I loosened everything up, so it should return to ride height if there is any spring pressure.

Sometimes it sags in the right rear when you are driving down the road too. For some reason the passenger rear has been a problem that follows all my different spring packs and shocks too.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
got lockright front and rear. but I have checked it and measured a hundred times. tried different spring packs, but still the same problem.

Did the sagging problem get better over time? Im going to wheel it some before I try anything else, maybe they will settle in. It is just like it is 1kg to light to compress the springs properly

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
The ride height isn't sticking as much anymore, it's returning to ride height better now, but the passenger rear is still noticeably lower.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Changed the oil on the 6.5 tcase. quite a lot shavings on the magnet. the oil where pretty ghey as well (glitter).

took it apart and inspected, seems fine. Shimmed the input so it sits level 0.1mm gap. lowrange says it is supposed to be 0.35-0.45mm gap. need more shims. Hope this will take care of things, some of the insane gear whine too

Ill get a pic of the gear teeth, not so sure about these

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Thats no good with the gears. I hope shimming the input helps and the problems go away.

Through the years it seems gear sets have been hit or miss. You either get a good gear set that last forever, oor you get one that gives you troubles until it is swapped out. I don't know why there is such a difference between gearsets even from the same vendor.

I am going to be working on getting the springs to move on their own this week. I am also going to be working on getting the passenger rear to sit level.

I may end up moving my spare tire mount to the opposite side to see if it helps. With the fuel tank, battery and tire all on one side, I am wondering if that is a big contributing factor in the lean.

With all the rigs I have wheeled and modified I have never had such a difficult time getting spring rates to where I am happy.

Does anyone have input or solutions for the passenger rear sag, this is my second set of springs doing the same thing.

By the way ShuDuck,
I was worried when I saw you cut up the rear deck. i thought you were going to be loosing sheet metal or tubing it. I was really surprised how well that rear deck turned out Yu did a damned good job with that rear deck. Looks :smokin:

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Inspected the gears thoroughly, and I see nothing wrong, no polishing, cracks..

SAM_1050 (Medium).JPG
Im glad there is warranty on these

in right hand drive countries a driver side lean is very common. tank, spare tire, battery and driver make them lean. So it might be a good idea to even the load out.

thanks man, no tubing in this except the inner/exo cage I have planned

·
Registered
49 Posts
Looking great ShuDuck!!!

I've always had a lean to my Samurai too, especially when I look at it from the rear, with the YJ's. It's level when I sit it in (I think), but all things are on the passenger side (t-case outputs & driveshafts, battery, gas tank, spare tire).

I think we NEED more info on the SKY (low 1/2 high steer), with the arm that has the taper drilled from below. Like how much lift it's perfect for (3" or more lift still necessary, or????)

BTW, I like the raised deck and the upper shock mounts in the rear as well as the flat belly and tucked up rear frame brackets.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #56 (Edited)
thanks OFT and WALES! I had the first real trip/test this weekend and it performed perfect :smokin: We had two zuks, not able to move by the start of the week, as soon as they where drivable we took off to the yearly Suzuki meet. The club celebrates its 25th year this year

Only problem was a tiny oil leak in the rear axle vent on the tin top. My GFs 84 410 had an vacuum leak at the brake booster and no charging. But we plugged the brake booster and charged the battery, no issues other than that.

group pic, missing three cars. GFs stock 410 to the far left

post-a35903-IMG-5897crop.jpg

It is sitting level now and a bit lower :smokin: It also have NO wibes. first real test of the lifted transfer and lengthened drive shafts as well . tires are balanced with 300g pellets(whatever they are called) and is great on road when they warm up. It corners great, got more power to spare with the 33" than I expected, so overall I'm very happy

DSCF1046r.jpg

DSCF1073r.jpg

post-a35898-IMG-5893r.jpg

post-a35913-DSC02867r.jpg

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
That's awesome..killer group of Samurai's too. 33's spring under and working well that's sweet. I bet you are pretty comfortable on side hills that would make me pucker lol.

I know I am going to end up re-working my YJ's I am still really leaning toward this type of build. Awesome work, I am glad it runs and drives well for you.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
That's awesome..killer group of Samurai's too. 33's spring under and working well that's sweet. I bet you are pretty comfortable on side hills that would make me pucker lol.

I know I am going to end up re-working my YJ's I am still really leaning toward this type of build. Awesome work, I am glad it runs and drives well for you.
yes you should! :grinpimp: I love side hills

thanks baratacus :smokin:

41 - 60 of 463 Posts