Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 229 Posts

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been searching for builds to read up on YJ's stretched with leafs, but haven't found anything too helpful. I'm going to be in the CHP Academy for the next couple of months doing nothing but getting in shape and making money. It's time for me to start buying and saving the parts for when I get out.

Right now my trail rig is SOA on 1.5 leafs, YJ width 9" rear & 9" hybrid front, on 36's. I'm interested to see what leafs are being used for it. I always hear a ton about the rancho 44044's but have no experience with them. Any info on springs alone would help out a lot.

I'll be running 14-bolt/D60 full and 38.5/39 rubbers. What have you guys done with your builds? You don't have to post anything but a link to your build or one that has the info. I'm mostly looking for information on springs used and shackle placement.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
As for the shackle placement, I'm guessing if you took a look at Tombs build you saw that he fabbed a new rear x member to mount some boomerang shackles from mountain offroad. I plan on going that route as well.

·
Registered
129 Posts
You can see my build if you follow the sig. I have just started working on it again after a few months off (moved and new job). Have not posted the pics yet but I just set the SBC, NV4500 and Atlas 4sp into the frame last weekend. Still alot to do and one day it may just get done. FYI that rusty excusse for an engine is for mock up only. 383 is slated to go in at the end of the build. Good luck with your build.

·
Registered
645 Posts
XJ springs are pretty popular. I plan on using them to stretch mine this summer. If your SOA you'll need a traction bar because you'll bend leafs like crazy. Tomb Raider has a build thread on JF. Search over there is free :flipoff2:

edit: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=314435&highlight=stretch+wheelbase
The above thread will give your jist of it. With the XJ springs, you will definitely want a traction bar if you don't already have one. It's basically mandatory. Without them, you will easily pretzel your springs in no time. I added a main leaf, and they have not failed me yet. I actually got the idea from somewhere here....think it was jethrodog. It's mentioned in the build thread above. As for the rear xmember, everyone does it different. Some put a piece of 2x4 tubing there and put shackle mounts on it. I went with just a piece of 1/4" plate welded to the existing xmember. I wanted a flatter shackle position to help with droop. But to each their own. I've had no issues with it, and I've dropped it off ledges onto the springs with no ill effects. I actually ended up taking a leaf out of a HD pack to soften them up a bit. All in all, pretty cheap and effective way to get a little stretch. You can do regular YJ springs and move the front hangers.....but that seems like more grinding for the same amount of stretch. As for the shackle mounts, I had some made, but an easy alternative is the "way back" shackle hangers from ruffstuffspecialties.com. I will be using them for the front stretch. Be warned, the XJ springs flex no better/worse than the YJ springs. The centering pin is actually within an inch of the YJ springs on the short side. Just that the other side is longer. The ONLY thing you gain using the XJ springs is wheelbase. Not flex. With that said, I am happy with the mod, and the results.

With 37's

Now with 60's and 42's (the front will be stretched this weekend :flipoff2: )

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
^ What wheels are those? They look like some nice truck wheels, i suspect not beadlocks?

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Awesome! Thanks guys, I haven't even starting looking yet, but I'm gonna check it out right now!

BTW I'm sitting on stock YJ rears with and added main on both ends. They flex very well. My main reason for the stretch via 44044's or XJ's is for the wheelbase gain. I'm hoping to get some huge meats under there without lifting it too high. I do have a traction bar right now, but I'm obviously going to need to fab up a new one when I get done with this. Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
89 Posts
nine inch axles

ahighfiveforlife.............So when you get you bigger axles what will become of you set of nines? I would like to make a deal for them if they are not already spoken for. Hit me up. Thanks man.
Black Betty

·
Registered
74 Posts
Now with 60's and 42's (the front will be stretched this weekend :flipoff2: )

[/QUOTE]

how are you planning on streaching the front?

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
For my stretch, I am planning to just cut the frame right in front of the rear body mount in front of the rear spring hangers and weld in a 7" Extension. I think this will be the easiest way to perform the stretch. All I should have to worry about is strong welds (no problem, I'll diamond it too and probably add another Xmember) and extending my driveshaft, brake lines, fuel lines, etc. Should be a pretty easy way to get to a 103" wheelbase. then for the body I'm going to build something like the PSC corners and just add some sheetmetal onto the tub to stretch it in the rear to cover the frame

·
Registered
360 Posts
I'm at 108" WB. Dakota Rear Springs and Toyota truck rear springs in the front. both flipped. Still in progress so I can't say yet how it wheels.

I sleeved the frame with Rect tubing.

As of today, this is how it looks.. I still have a bit to do, but it's getting closer, the front no longer has leaf springs tho.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts

i never made a build thread, but there are about 1000 pictures on my website of the build process. (link in sig).

wheelbase is around 108, 14bolt, hp60 front, waggy leaf springs all around (not 44044s, they suck because they are too tall). custom spring mounts to keep it low, etc.

1 - 20 of 229 Posts