Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine wrecked his truck & said he would give the whole thing to me for a good deal. I have spare YJ chassis w/the back half behind D & P seats tubed w/4 link setup. Heres some questions I hope members can answer. I haven't seen the truck so I don't know dimensions of engine or drive train.

1. Will it fit in the YJ's bay?
2. Should I mount radiator in normal place or mount out back?
3. Should I keep/use drive train in truck (4R100) tranny not sure of xfer case but I
know it's stock or should I use the 6 speed manual some come with?
4. Will any other manual tranny fit i.e. SM465 (I have a spare).
5. Do any companies make a complete harness so I don't have to pull & piece the
Ford factory harness.
6. What all will I need to remove from truck to make it work?

Will probably be asking more questions as I receive answers. Thanks.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Get a tape measure and measure the size of the engine,radiator and intercooler. Most of your questions will be answered unless you want to basically build a custom rig. That doesn't adress the weight of the engine.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I know the engine ways almost 1k lbs. Reason's I'm considering it, engine & drivetrain are practically free, I have a spare frame setn there, an extra 14bff (not using the 10.25 from truck), get the HP D60 w/deal. Basically I'd just have to piece it all together so it works. That's why I'm asking for any help.

·
Registered
591 Posts
The only way to do it right would require some major firewall modification to set the motor far enough back to distribute a good bit of weight farther to the rear. And by the time you do that your looking at a rediculously short driveline, so you looking into a rear stretch to accomodate the driveline. Can it be done, sure. The question is, are the initial monetary savings worth the complication of making everything work right. Would be kinda cool done right though....

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Your justification to use that motor is kinda like my putting a Chevy D60 under the front of my TJ... I got it for a good deal so thought I would be saving money... NOT.

I WISH I would have been patient and waited for a Ford D60... Or built a custom D60 or something. Should have retubed the Chevy axle to make it driver's drop. It ended up costing so much more time and money than initially expected. Lots of little "oh shit wasn't thinking about that!" moments.

Get the motor and sell it to fund something worth putting in your Jeep.

:homer:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The only way to do it right would require some major firewall modification to set the motor far enough back to distribute a good bit of weight farther to the rear. And by the time you do that your looking at a rediculously short driveline, so you looking into a rear stretch to accomodate the driveline. Can it be done, sure. The question is, are the initial monetary savings worth the complication of making everything work right. Would be kinda cool done right though....
Yep, I kinda planned on the firewall mod of some sort. Thouhgt about maybe putting weights like they use in tractor pulls in the back to figure out a good balance. Then making it permanent.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Your justification to use that motor is kinda like my putting a Chevy D60 under the front of my TJ... I got it for a good deal so thought I would be saving money... NOT.

I WISH I would have been patient and waited for a Ford D60... Or built a custom D60 or something. Should have retubed the Chevy axle to make it driver's drop. It ended up costing so much more time and money than initially expected. Lots of little "oh shit wasn't thinking about that!" moments.

Get the motor and sell it to fund something worth putting in your Jeep.

:homer:
I thought about the point your making. That's why trying to get info/opinions from people. Thank you.
Did you see that You Tube vid of the CJ w/6.0? Gives me motive for my madness.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You know i bet a SB or even a BB would do much better in that sand... There is just to much weight.
Probably would. I've already got a '95 YJ w/383, SM465/D300, D60 & 14bff, etc... It works great an awesome set up. I've never seen thie what I'm suggesting done before so I figured what the hell, it would be a pretty bad ass set up done right.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Yeah, I know the engine ways almost 1k lbs.
Dry weight with no accessories is 1100 pounds.

It's a fly-by-wire engine, so everything electronic from the donor, including the throttle pedal will be required.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Ford guys dont even want the Powerstroke... 235hp at 1100lbs? You might as well just run a rice burner engine, and save alot of weight.

A friend of mine wrecked his truck & said he would give the whole thing to me for a good deal. I have spare YJ chassis w/the back half behind D & P seats tubed w/4 link setup. Heres some questions I hope members can answer. I haven't seen the truck so I don't know dimensions of engine or drive train.

1. Will it fit in the YJ's bay?
2. Should I mount radiator in normal place or mount out back?
3. Should I keep/use drive train in truck (4R100) tranny not sure of xfer case but I
know it's stock or should I use the 6 speed manual some come with?
4. Will any other manual tranny fit i.e. SM465 (I have a spare).
5. Do any companies make a complete harness so I don't have to pull & piece the
Ford factory harness.
6. What all will I need to remove from truck to make it work?

Will probably be asking more questions as I receive answers. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
If I were going to do this I'd pull the cab from the truck, hack the floor and firewall out of the jeep till it's just skins and flop the jeep skins over the frame. Shorten frame, driveshaft, fuel and brakelines to taste. Add floors and firewall back in to suit your needs.
The radiator on my powerstroke has to be bigger than my entire frontal area of my CJ...
:shaking:

·
Registered
729 Posts
Ford guys dont even want the Powerstroke... 235hp at 1100lbs? You might as well just run a rice burner engine, and save alot of weight.

Im a chevy guy, but love my psd. Millions of people have that motor and are happy with it. Lets not forget that a simple chip and intake will wake that motor up to over 400 hp and 800ft lbs. And the that motor going into a rig that is super light. It will fly.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If I were going to do this I'd pull the cab from the truck, hack the floor and firewall out of the jeep till it's just skins and flop the jeep skins over the frame. Shorten frame, driveshaft, fuel and brakelines to taste. Add floors and firewall back in to suit your needs.
The radiator on my powerstroke has to be bigger than my entire frontal area of my CJ...
:shaking:
Hadn't thought about doing it that way, possible option.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts