Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I want to buy the JB Super Short SYE kit.
I noticed that there was a combo for about $600 that includes a new CV style driveshaft.

I read some where that a guy made his own driveshaft by taking parts to a driveline shop (out of an old Montecarlo shaft and Parts from a 70's bronco or something like that)

Just wondering if any of you have chosen to go about making your own.

By the way I have about 5-6 inches of lift

Thanks

·
Registered
11,647 Posts
Cut down Cherokee front shaft works fine for rear CV applications. That's what I've run in my last couple jeeps. $17 at the u-pull and either cut it down yourself or have a driveline shop do it for about $60

·
Registered
911 Posts
Around here (KC) a brand new shaft from one of the local shops runs about $250 including new u-joints.

I just had one that I twisted in half repaired for about $150, including new joints. I wouldn't think you could save enough money to make it worth the effort of scavenging parts from the pick-n-pull.

·
Registered
11,647 Posts
Around here (KC) a brand new shaft from one of the local shops runs about $250 including new u-joints.

I just had one that I twisted in half repaired for about $150, including new joints. I wouldn't think you could save enough money to make it worth the effort of scavenging parts from the pick-n-pull.

In my case they cost $17 plus about an hour of my time to shorten. $17 < $250

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
But thats assuming the U-joints are in good shape(which they are not!). So price for a total of 3 u-joints maybe $40 for the dirt cheap stuff. But I try to run nothing but spicer,(Mine are 1310 front and rear) so you figure about $80 for the good stuff. Tube is cheap. The average minumum rate to do a D/S runs $50!

Edit: My rear shaft is a Woody going more then 8 years of use with no problems

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info.

Gonna go to Local Salvage yard this weekend

I got a quote just now and with shipping a custom CV DS would be $300. I can put that money into better use in other areas since I am in a middle of my engine swap as well.

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Tom Woods rear driveshaft 5 years running zero issues whatsoever . :smokin:

I opted to pay the few extra $ for the premium sumthin or other with the rubber bootie .

·
Registered
17,628 Posts
IMHO, Jesse from High Angle Driveline is the MAN. I've been running his rear shaft on my junk for about 7 years now with NO failures. I love it. Spend the extra $$ for a real shaft.
Scott

·
Registered
110 Posts
x3 for high angle driveline, running his 1350 shafts front and rear, smooth and strong :smokin:

·
Registered
75 Posts
I just did the u-pull style. $19 for the shaft and $117 to shorten with 2 new u-joints and rebuild the CV. Much better than $300 shipped. I might go get a spare so I'll have 2 for the price of one.

-Tom

·
Registered
443 Posts
Get the cv shaft out of a 90s style ford explorer, you will need a good torx socket set to get them off the explorer, but they are very cheap at the u pull it yards, and they are everywhere. Been running these a long time with no issues, I use the sealed lifetime 1310 joints from autozone, Marc

·
Registered
202 Posts
IMHO, Jesse from High Angle Driveline is the MAN. I've been running his rear shaft on my junk for about 7 years now with NO failures. I love it. Spend the extra $$ for a real shaft.
Scott
I could use a high angle CV... is there an email addy or link? :)

I have an RE CV that needed to be re-built by a local dline shop, so I wouldn't recomend RE. I also have a cut down XJ CV for spare.

WRM

1 - 15 of 15 Posts