Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going SOA soon and figured i might as well do a stretch. I'm on a d30/8.8.

My question is i already purchased the RE 1.5" SOA springs and won't be using XJ/waggy springs because of that reason. Would relocating both the front and rear hangars on the front give me that extra stretch? Has anyone done a wheelbase stretch using the RE SOA springs? I prefer not to cut the frame anywhere. Whats the most I can stretch with a dana 30? i read about how tomb used an astro box for the pitman that faces forward to make up for the stretch. any suggestions? ideas?

btw, search was broken :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
search ain't broke, gotta' buy a red star :flipoff2: :p :flipoff2: . I had the same questions and after searching for about an hour got all the answers

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i'll get a red star as soon as Lance receives my check :flipoff2: you can still search without a red star, but you are limited to 1 search for every 5 minutes

·
Registered
513 Posts
Hummmmm

I have a yj stretched on leaf spring .. Yep the RE 1.5" SOA packs .... I'm at 105 to 106" on 38's Easy to do but you have to "modify" :rolleyes: the rear shackel and frame mount shackle hangers to do so....

·
Registered
672 Posts
Check out this page of my build-up thread: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=644588&page=6

I'm using a 3" YJ lift spring in the front and Cherokee springs in the rear. My front springs should have almost the same dimensions as your RE pieces. The spring hangers need moved for a stretch, but it's not difficult if you can use a welder and a grinder. The only thing I cut from the frame were the old hangers. I'm sitting at 100" even.

Here are some pictures for ideas.

·
Registered
55 Posts
are those xj springs in the rear flipped so the center pin is back farther? they look as if the axle is ahead of the center line of the spring. wouldnt you be able to get some more wheelbase by flipping the spring? unless that was not a concern

·
Registered
672 Posts
are those xj springs in the rear flipped so the center pin is back farther? they look as if the axle is ahead of the center line of the spring. wouldnt you be able to get some more wheelbase by flipping the spring? unless that was not a concern
Well, the short side of the spring is towards the front of the Jeep. I didn't flip the spring because that would have provided more wheelbase than I wanted. Also, the spring eye is pretty big on that end... there was a greater chance of binding with the rear bumper when fully articulated.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah, i've read your whole thread a couple of times, excellent detailed thread :smokin:

is there a reason why you did a shackle reversal in the front?

·
Registered
672 Posts
yeah, i've read your whole thread a couple of times, excellent detailed thread :smokin:

is there a reason why you did a shackle reversal in the front?
Thanks. :)

I flipped the front shackles primarily to control vibration absorption from uneven road surfaces. There are really two schools of thought here... either that rear-mounted shackles allow the axle to hop over an obstacle, or that front-mounted shackles provide more contact pressure between the tire and the obstacle. I've four-wheeled with the stock configuration for years, so I thought I'd change it up and see what happens.

Here is an excerpt from an engineering paper I wrote on suspensions. As the illustrations show, a shackle reversal absorbs road imperfections much better.

·
Registered
427 Posts
if you do a shackle reversal, you are going to throw a couple other variables into the equation that weren't there before.....i.e. driveshaft pulling out when the drivers' side is dropped out, and caster angle, as you can see that it will change b/c the spring in angled back more(i can't remember whether a d30 has a cast perch, so it may not be a big deal if you're re-welding them anyways).

just my thoughts, but i wouldn't do a shackle reversal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts