Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I hope this noob question doesn't get me killed out here! I just sold my K5 that I had 3 years of solid wrenching into, and it was a killer rig. Check it out here:

http://64.53.225.17/images/truck/

Anyways - Selling was fawkin dumb. I need another rig now. But I'm looking to go a bit smaller this time so I can fit on the local trails. I'm hoping y'all can edumacate me some on 4Runners vs all the others. I think runners are SICK when worked over a bit, and know that Toyota is a good name. Looks like there are a ton of you Yota boys out here, so CONVINCE ME!

Here's what I did to the last rig I wrenched on...

http://64.53.225.17/images/truck/Attica04/DSC05529.JPG

Can't wait for the next rig!

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
heeps

As far as a comparison goes, there is no comparison!, heeps are fawking :rainbow:

that is merely MY OPINION

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Hmmmm...let me think...you are in a Toyota forum and you want to know what is better between a toyota or a J**P!?! :shaking: Just do us all a favor and stay in the HEEP forum! :flipoff2:

In all seriousness though, it doesn't get any better than a built Toy!

·
BAM!BAM!BAM!BAM!BAM!
2,083 Posts
What kind of stupid question is that? Dig up some damn integrity and stay away from jeeps, they're for bitches. :flipoff2:

Get a a damn yoter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok tough guy... then tell me why I should take a Yota over a Heep!??? I've got all sorts of stories, so I figured I'd come to the horses mouth. Look like I found his ass anyways...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Tbam said:
What kind of stupid question is that? Dig up some damn integrity and stay away from jeeps, they're for bitches. :flipoff2:
Ooook, what year 4Runner is best to go with? I've found anywhere from 85-95 Yotas for a reasonable price out here... What years are best and why? I know newer isn't always better, so I just gotta ask. Thanks for the reply.

·
BAM!BAM!BAM!BAM!BAM!
2,083 Posts
Fine, dont buy a yota, you act like a jeep guy anyway. I base my opinions on personal experiences, availability of quality aftermarket parts, and performance. I've owned and wheeled both, and the yoda I built would run circles around the jeep. If you dont want opinions don't fucking make your first question one that has been asked here 1000 times.
SEARCH
SEARCH
SEARCH
SEARCH
SEARCH
SEARCH
SEARCH
SEARCH
SEARCH
SEARCH
SEARCH
SEARCH
SEARCH
SEARCH
SEARCH
SEARCH
SEARCH
SEARCH
SEARCH
SEARCH
SEARCH
SEARCH
SEARCH
SEARCH
SEARCH
SEARCH
SEARCH
SEARCH
SEARCH
SEARCH
SEARCH
SEARCH
Just pickin at ya noob. :flipoff2:

·
BAM!BAM!BAM!BAM!BAM!
2,083 Posts
85 with the solid front axle and efi- the 22re not a bad little motor once you gear it right.

·
Registered
256 Posts
have fun goin from a 454 to a 4popper.

allthough a day of wheeling at $20 instead of $100 will most likely make you forget about the power difference. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
heeps

I'll just post one example, but I could go all day

dana 30/35 vs. toy 8" I dare you to run 37"+ tires on either of those dana axles like most of us do on our toy with no upgraded axles!!! :nuke: :nuke: :nuke:, a dana 44 would be better of course, but you are not going to find them at both ends without doing it yourself on either the tj or xj, unless it's a rubicon.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
How many jeep buggies do you see on jeep axles? None. How many toy buggies still run toy axles? Lots.

·
BAM!BAM!BAM!BAM!BAM!
2,083 Posts
Was my reply too harsh? Did he go back to JU?

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
this has benn covered plenty of times, recently too, get the newest 4runner close to 89 as possible get a 4cyl get a 5spd.

toy is better cause of axle strength and wheel bas and unlike xj it has a frame, and i fyou roll it its not totaly screwed. wranglers are too expensive and you have to be associated with the majority of the new jeep owners,. whom are gay.

on second thought, get a jeep, and stay away from toyotas, save em for us!:flipoff2:

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,738 Posts
Any first Gen runner (84-89) or any PU (79-95), do not worry if it IFS you are going to put just about the same amount whether it is IFS or live axle just a bit more work if it is IFS (79-85 in the USA).

Jeep-TJ with a long arm kit, they wheel awesome, Jeep Rubicon with some supension up-grades (long arm) are nice!!!!

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
i think that the only thing jeeps really have going for them is the availability of a bigger engine throgh all the years. with the exception of a tacoma or newer 4runner you're limited to the 2.4l 4 banger or the 3.0 v6 which is kind of a dog

everything else is built much better than a jeep...and personally i'd say the IFS on a post-85 toyota is stronger than the dana 30 straight axle on any modern heep

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Anything toyota=
1. over engineered from the factory
2. quality components and materials
3. any model has a better wheelbase from the get go
4. theyre just way cooler and more hardcore just cuz.

Anything Jeep=
Empty pockets with no beer money left to go wheelin' in the same spot as your Toyota having buddies are going to this weekend....

Thats why they say:
Just
Empty
Every
Pocket

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Unibodys suck
too many people have YJs

buy a Yota- better drivetrain, better wheelbase, overall=better

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
RIGNBR2 said:
ok tough guy... then tell me why I should take a Yota over a Heep!??? I've got all sorts of stories, so I figured I'd come to the horses mouth. Look like I found his ass anyways...
Look you dumb ass noob becasue wee told you it was better! :flipoff2:

I'll vouch for this guy. I know him.

Ok here is why I am ditching the K5 and going with a 4Runner.

WEIGHT. Dollar on a trailer is 9k. Yeah I got a 454 burb but it has 3.73 gear and no OD so that it will sort of get mpg and still run 70mpg. It doesn't like that much weight with that gear. My Runner I have already towed one and on a 7k rated trailer is 5600lb or a little less. It doesnt even notice it. That last 3K is a big deal. Set the cruise at 65mph and watch the odometer roll. Your Burb should do the same

7k trail rig will not climb hills like a 4k trail rig.

Still seats 4 comfortably. I can sit in the back seat.

Aftermarket is awsome. doing a Marlin Crawler is a lot cheaper then doing a doubler. Its 6 inches totale to the drive line. 4 Runner and sb toy is 102 wheel base...bigger then ya thought huh?

I'm DDing my 4Runner. 20mpg sure doesnt suck when regualar is $2 a gallon.

If you want the beef its not hard to slap a set of GM fullsize axles under. because of the weight 3/4 ton running a D60 rear and hummer hims is a nice set up. The hummer rims bring the wheels back in a little.

XJ is unibody. People have built them big but its a question of when that body is going to start tearing apart. Its the only thing in 4 Runner class from Jeep and that lack of a full frame is its down fall.

I actually like the Wrangler Limited (long wheel base). It the right size for me. I got kids and I need a back seat and cargo space at the same time. Wrangler limited has that and about the Jeep I would concider for wheeling that might sway me from a Toyota at this point. Problem is I don't think you can get it in a stick yet. Jeep needs to get the head out of their ass put the D44s and low range transfer from the Rubicon in it.

Your next question is what one to get.Thats a Pro 4Runner post.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=293182

Find the "post your favorite toy post". Read the FAQ up top and if that doesnt sway you then nothing will. Find Sniper300 's build up post too. One very awsome 4Runner

Hay .. keep your head down till you get some time and posts under your belt. "STFU newb" is advice that for some reason newbs posting in CHit Chat don't get. They keep fighting the hazing. Take the lashing with tounge in cheek and its not personal if you don't make it personal. Read the Newb check in post over there.

WELCOME NEWBIE :flipoff2:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Everyone's gotta sleep, so here's my replies to everyone from last night:

Fine, dont buy a yota, you act like a jeep guy anyway. I base my opinions on personal experiences, availability of quality aftermarket parts, and performance. I've owned and wheeled both, and the yoda I built would run circles around the jeep. If you dont want opinions don't fucking make your first question one that has been asked here 1000 times.
A. Whats the best place to go for aftermarket Yota parts? As for the same question 1000 times, sorry man but you know how it goes. The same questions come up 1000 times because people have slightly different questions and VERY different levels of experience. I promise I could run cirlces around most folks Chevy knowledge... My old K5 was a total frankenstien - and it would have just run OVER your Yota. Anyways NEXT quote...

85 with the solid front axle and efi- the 22re not a bad little motor once you gear it right.
A. Now there is a tidbit of useful info. So '85 is the first year with EFI and still SFA. What about LandCruisers (if I am allowed to say that in here, its still a Yota)?

allthough a day of wheeling at $20 instead of $100 will most likely make you forget about the power difference.
A. BINGO. Took me big bucks to fuel up the tow rig, and another $50/day to run the 350 in the K5... and the 454 b4 that? sheesh, I'd have to take a break in the middle of the day to refill the 30gal tank. :eek:

dana 30/35 vs. toy 8" I dare you to run 37"+ tires on either of those dana axles like most of us do on our toy with no upgraded axles!!!
A. So I can get away with 37s on STOCK Yota axles? What spline axles do these things run normally? What other axles does Yota use other than the 8"? Are there any axle identification sites I can check out to verify what I'm buying? Thanks for the reply.

How many jeep buggies do you see on jeep axles? None. How many toy buggies still run toy axles? Lots.
A. Point taken.

Was my reply too harsh? Did he go back to JU?
A. Harsh? Hell no. Keep the sarcasm coming. I can take it.

this has benn covered plenty of times, recently too, get the newest 4runner close to 89 as possible get a 4cyl get a 5spd. toy is better cause of axle strength and wheel bas and unlike xj it has a frame, and i fyou roll it its not totaly screwed. wranglers are too expensive and you have to be associated with the majority of the new jeep owners,. whom are gay.
A. Axle strength has been covered - but I'm still not sure WHAT it is that makes them stronger... as for wheelbase advantages, I agree. Strange about those Jeep owners too... I have found some of them to be gay... :mad3:

Any first Gen runner (84-89) or any PU (79-95), do not worry if it IFS you are going to put just about the same amount whether it is IFS or live axle just a bit more work if it is IFS (79-85 in the USA). Jeep-TJ with a long arm kit, they wheel awesome, Jeep Rubicon with some supension up-grades (long arm) are nice!!!!
A. 1st gen runners are 84-89. Very good info, I'll assume they are all live axle as well... or did live axle stop in all Yotas in '85? I really don't want IFS... but if I had to have an IFS truck, whats the best place to go for a lift and what will that cost me? thanks for the good info.

everything else is built much better than a jeep...and personally i'd say the IFS on a post-85 toyota is stronger than the dana 30 straight axle on any modern heep
A. Interesting that you think the IFS would be stronger than the D30. What about flex? I hear Yotas have mad flex, but I'm not sure if that includes IFS rigs. What score on the RTI will a slightly lifted IFS truck hit (only looking for an estimate, I know all trucks are different)?

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket
A. Good one, very appropraite. I'm thinking any rig I tweak will empty my pockets though... that damn K5 sure did! But it was one sick rig! Thx for the acronym. :D

buy a Yota- better drivetrain, better wheelbase, overall=better
A. I'll tweak that statement a bit and ask, HOW DO YOTAS COMPARE TO XJs IN WEIGHT? Thx.

I'll vouch for this guy. I know him....
A. Grimmy! Whats up buddy? Glad to see you're still out there cranking out the novels in every post! Thanks for the good info and links, I WILL read all of it. Might as well, I can't work while thinking about this stuff. My productivity has just gone down the tubes since the wife ok'd the swap back to a truck. Looks like you hit on the weight question (at least K5 to 4Rnr). I know it! That K5 was one fat pig on the trailer. Bad news for me is that I sold the Burban along with the trailer when I sold the K5. Just didn't have use for it... or so I thought! Wish so bad that I still had the burb. Ah well. Anyways... mileage is a good thing too. I'm looking forward to having a rig that can get itself to and from runs again, even if it means slapping street tires on for the highway part of the ride. I can get a small trailer to pull to tote supplies and bigger meats. Its certainly a more economical solution than the Burban, 7k trailer and gas guzzling K5!

Thanks all for the replies guys... I'll try not to be such a noob now... Im a quick learner, and I've got previous experience... just not with Yotas. See y'all around.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts