Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
If you find more pictures let me know, I've gotta go through and redo my front crossmember soon. It's always good to get some inspiration! With steel wheels you're probably pretty safe running 10 in the front and 5-7 in the rear. Just be conscious of turning real hard into a rock and pressing on the bead. Before I got beadlocks I'd run 7-10 in the front depending on conditions and 3-5 in the rear. But then again I'd always keep a hi-lift and starting fluid on me :grinpimp:

Found this one about to be gone forever on my trash can. Don’t know how it got there without making it here first.

This is looking down and forward from the driver side front fender well with the radiator removed. The gussets go from the crossmember to the winch plate. Core support kinda gets in the way of the pic. Iirc this is the best photo I have of the additional support from the rear

And here is a shot of the flat pitman arm setup right after I️ rolled it out of the garage onto the trailer for Hawk Pride. IMO It couldn’t fit better. Drag link stud just clear the frame by about 1/4”

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Been busy with work, but took some better pics of the flat pitman arm and steering box from the front.

Here you can see how far forward into the core support and body mount the front of the steering box is.

And clearance on the flat pitman arm. Flat pitman was a must for this application.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
217 Posts
What flat pitman did you go with? I currently have the drop arm that Allpro sells with their kit, but I definitely hit my tie rod if I'm flexed out on my drivers side.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I went with the trail gear flat PA due to availability. Was looking at sky’s chromoly unit, but I was under a time crunch and needed it quick.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #45

I lengthened the front driveshaft by 4.2”. The jack stand run out measurement was a big fail, I didn’t have any rollers and this setup had zero consistency when rotating. Ended up bringing it to the NAPA to get tried and welded. Bolted back in tonight, hopefully it stays together when unloading on the up trail. Will report

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Thanks y’all. I will give that a try next to round gnob. Will have another chance when I finally get the parts for my dual cases.

Took my doors off and modded the hinges for quick removal. I want to find a spare set of doors to make trail doors but am also considering making some tube doors.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Truck has worked well the few times I’ve taken it out this summer. Sheared 2 steering arm/knuckle bolts off on both sides on the last ride. Going to be ordering six shooter knuckles and arms to upgrade.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Truck has worked well the few times I’ve taken it out this summer. Sheared 2 steering arm/knuckle bolts off on both sides on the last ride. Going to be ordering six shooter knuckles and arms to upgrade.

Why not go with Front ranges keyed set up? It's a few bucks cheaper last time I did the math.

·
Registered
44 Posts
carrier

On the first page the pic of the rear carrier, it looked like it had a crack in it. Weld looked cracked but it looked like it went into the carrier as well. Nice toy.
I got a 83 short bed but I'm 6'3 and I'm tired of hitting my head on ceiling and door jam. Legs are cramped, Im donating the frame axles to my jeep project.

Hope you get a good cage, that cab offers no protection in roll over.:smokin:

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
On the first page the pic of the rear carrier, it looked like it had a crack in it. Weld looked cracked but it looked like it went into the carrier as well. Nice toy.

I got a 83 short bed but I'm 6'3 and I'm tired of hitting my head on ceiling and door jam. Legs are cramped, Im donating the frame axles to my jeep project.

Hope you get a good cage, that cab offers no protection in roll over.:smokin:

Sure does look cracked. It’s coming apart after the front end gets finished up. Rear suspension is getting redone. Will inspect and report back. It has been driving fine on and off-road for the last year and a half or more since that pic was taken. Post was made a few weeks after or something like that.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Why not go with Front ranges keyed set up? It's a few bucks cheaper last time I did the math.

Well wentz, I ordered a set of FROR keyed arms and 25mm upgrade w/ billet lower caps. Was hoping to have them for RBD but doesn’t look like it. Ordered them on Oct. 17th and they’ve been “shipping out in the next day or two” for 3 weeks now. No answer or call back, it’s starting to get frustrating. At least send me my new steering arm studs so I can put it back to regular high steer for the ride until the arms are actually are ready.

·
Registered
688 Posts

Well wentz, I ordered a set of FROR keyed arms and 25mm upgrade w/ billet lower caps. Was hoping to have them for RBD but doesn’t look like it. Ordered them on Oct. 17th and they’ve been “shipping out in the next day or two” for 3 weeks now. No answer or call back, it’s starting to get frustrating. At least send me my new steering arm studs so I can put it back to regular high steer for the ride until the arms are actually are ready.

Bummer to hear they are letting you down a bit. I was on their list for the new FJ80 knuckles/steering. That was more than a year and a half ago now. Never heard one peep from them. Was hoping the mini stuff was more available.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Sorry to hear that it’s taking a while to get your arms. I ordered the keyed arms and 25mm pins for last season. It took about 8 weeks iirc. Parts looked nice when they showed up.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)
They’ve been nice to deal with on the phone when they answered. I really just need my studs so I can put it back together for RBD. At this point I don’t think there’s time for me to get my knuckles machined even if they shipped tomorrow. However, I would like to get a shipping notification tomorrow. An accurate answer on my order status would be cool too

Edit: don’t keep me hangin expecting my parts and then they just never ship/show. If I need to do something to get me through until the new ones get here let me know so I can do something about it if possible. I could’ve had this thing back together 2 freakin weeks ago. Fack!

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #58 (Edited)
Wound up ordering another set of knuckle studs from jegs last night. Should be here on Monday.

Edit: cancelled order from jegs and ordered oem stuff through low range. Will be here tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Called and left a message to front range off-road yesterday. Still no update, reply, shipping notification or parts.

·
Premium Member
29,400 Posts
Called and left a message to front range off-road yesterday. Still no update, reply, shipping notification or parts.
dang, that is a bummer :confused:

41 - 60 of 72 Posts