Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Libtards keep bringing up the " gun show loophole" in arguments I'm in. I try and point out that dealers always have to do a background check regardless of location of sale. Is that correct for every state or just good ol MD? I know private party to private party requires nothing but wanted to double check my facts before i sound like one of them spewing non facts.

A guy just said "gun shows aren't well regulated . And there are tons of transactions off the books"

He hasn't defined " tons" yet.:homer:

·
Registered
8,018 Posts
In Oregon anything with more then 25 guns is considered a gun show and sales are handled just like a gun sale at a normal gun shop. You have to pay $10.00 for OSP to do a background on the buyer and the the buyer fills out the 4473.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
That is correct here in TN. From a dealer at a gunshow - must do all the same as an in store purchase, yes I can do a face to face with no issues, but then again, I can do that at the gas station, or a walmart parking lot.

There is no gun show loophole. Tis all a myth.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
That is correct here in TN. From a dealer at a gunshow - must do all the same as an in store purchase, yes I can do a face to face with no issues, but then again, I can do that at the gas station, or a walmart parking lot.

Same thing in Michigan.

·
I'm not your buddeh
13,084 Posts
In VA, private party to private party requires no background check, but the majority of those transactions require (per the seller) VA state ID and or voter card to prove non-felon status. Any FFL sales require background check on the spot and the 4473 in addition to the state form. There is no "gun show loophole" :shaking:

·
Premium Member
10,659 Posts

In VA, private party to private party requires no background check, but the majority of those transactions require (per the seller) VA state ID and or voter card to prove non-felon status. Any FFL sales require background check on the spot and the 4473 in addition to the state form. There is no "gun show loophole" :shaking:

True here as well except, you are not required in a FTF to provide ID or a bill of sale. You are required to do your due diligence and use your best judgement.

I have missed buys and refused sales because I will not show ID or give a bill of sale. Not a big deal

FTF sales are what the media is referring to in the " Gunshow Loop hole" verbiage but it sounds better if they get you to think that every sale is that way. They are embellishing by omission.

·
Registered
8,129 Posts
Not really sure, don't really care. I'll pass before i do paperwork at a gunshow. Bought 3 guns brandnew. Delayed everytime.

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Pretty much the same as everyone else. If buying from a dealer at a show, you have to fill out the paper work. If buying from an individual, then its cash and carry. Some dealer tables will have a small section labeled "Private Sale" that will have a hand full of guns that are private sale and require no paper work.

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
Dealers do check in PA. I've bought at PA shows before.

·
Gravity Works!
30,943 Posts

The only really bad thing about selling a firearm face to face without a background check is if the purchaser uses your firearm to commit a crime and gets caught. You will more then likely have big trouble coming to your door step. They "say" guns aren't registered, but I bet you they will and can track it back to you. They'll go back to the dealer that sold it to you new and from there they'll come a knocking.

Now if you bought it face to face W/O paperwork and flipped it face to face and above happened...

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
British Columbia, Canada, non-restricted.

"Hey let's see yer card...yep that's a card, gimme the money."
"Here's the money."
"Ok, here's the gun, taker easy eh!"

·
Take a Knee
8,452 Posts
FEDERAL law requires FEDERAL Firearms Licensees (FFL's) to follow all FEDERAL laws and guidelines, regardless of the location.

Prior to the Gun Control Act of 1968, FFL's were prohibited from doing business at any place other than the address listed on their license. This changed in 1986 with the passage of the Firearms Owners Protection Act.

Private party sales (no FFL involved) are governed by state and local laws and codes, regardless of the location.

There is no "loophole" specific to gun shows. Period. End of story. The gun show loophole term was created as a political lightning rod following two ATF studies that suggested that gun shows were the #2 source of illegally purchased firearms (following straw purchasers which the ATF rarely prosecute). Interestingly, straw purchasers were also a large part of the illegal transfer of firearms sold at gun shows.

So, if the ATF would simply prosecute and jail straw purchasers under existing laws, gun shows would be a non-issue. Instead, the ATF allows straw purchasers to make illegal purchases and transfer the firearms across international boundaries, loses track of said firearms and does nothing when said firearms are used by Mexican drug cartels to kill U.S. citizens.

FWIW, 0.8% (less than 1%) of prison inmates report obtaining their illegal firearms at gun shows. Repeat offenders are even less likely to do so than first time offenders.

The so-called gun show loophole is nothing more than a false flag created by anti-2A liars for political purposes.

·
Registered
13,965 Posts
The loophole? The feds requiring FFLs conduct a background check on intrastate purchases when they only have jurisdiction over intrerstate commerce.

·
Registered
27,739 Posts
Virginia:

VA Residents: Must be of legal age to purchase a firearm. Must have two (2) forms of ID with the same exact address. One ID should be a valid VA Driver's License or VA ID Card. The other ID can be a document that proves you are VA resident...a concealed carry permit, a personal check , a vehicle registration, utility bill...you can also use a hunting/fishing license...which ever form of ID you use for your 2nd ID it must have the same exact address as your driver's license. You must fill out the paperwork and pass the background check, you can then take your firearm with you.

NON-VA Residents: Must be of legal age to purchase a firearm. Can only purchase long guns (rifles and shotguns) and must have the same forms of ID as VA residents. Driver's License from your State of residence and another ID that proves you live in that State. ALL LAWS OF BOTH STATES MUST BE COMPLIED WITH. You must fill out the paperwork and pass the background check, you can then take your firearm with you.
Military Personnel: Must bring a copy of your orders that show VA as your "permanent duty station." Must have your Military ID and your Driver's License from the State you are from.

·
raise helldrink beer
1,687 Posts
I like the voter ID card. Good way to CYA when in doubt. Thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
Virginia:

VA Residents: Must be of legal age to purchase a firearm. Must have two (2) forms of ID with the same exact address. One ID should be a valid VA Driver's License or VA ID Card. The other ID can be a document that proves you are VA resident...a concealed carry permit, a personal check , a vehicle registration, utility bill...you can also use a hunting/fishing license...which ever form of ID you use for your 2nd ID it must have the same exact address as your driver's license. You must fill out the paperwork and pass the background check, you can then take your firearm with you.

NON-VA Residents: Must be of legal age to purchase a firearm. Can only purchase long guns (rifles and shotguns) and must have the same forms of ID as VA residents. Driver's License from your State of residence and another ID that proves you live in that State. ALL LAWS OF BOTH STATES MUST BE COMPLIED WITH. You must fill out the paperwork and pass the background check, you can then take your firearm with you.
Military Personnel: Must bring a copy of your orders that show VA as your "permanent duty station." Must have your Military ID and your Driver's License from the State you are from.
Private sales across state lines are illegal according to the ATF so this law only applies to purchases from FFLs by out-of-state buyers.

Minnesota allows private sales between Minnesota residents without a background check or anything (but most people want to see a permit to purchase or permit to carry to cover their ass). FFLs MUST do a background check and 4473. Additionally, handgun purchases require a permit to purchase or a permit to carry. Evil black rifles also require a PTP/PTC :shaking:, but you can get a long-guns only PTP if you're 18-21. Most police departments (the ones that issue a PTP) don't know that though and will deny you.

·
Registered
10,532 Posts
I'm on the gun show circuit here in NOVA. I do pretty much all of them. Everything posted above me is true.

Although, a lot of vendors at these shows (at least 40%) are just a dude selling his "private collection". Which is totally legal. But they are blatantly selling firearms without a license. Unlike me. Not to mention all the fucktards walking around with cardboard signs advertising their guns for sale.

We can put pur heads in the sand all we want but if a felon or restricted person wanted a firearm it is incredible easy at a gun show.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts