Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I read on FaceBook that the trucks have already been destroyed. Whilst I feel sorry for the owners who were victims of unscrupulous exporters/importers, it is highly likely that the trucks were rebirthed with components from vehicles stolen in UK and Europe. Another point is, that to my understanding all Defenders sold in the US through official channels, had to be fitted with rollover protection among other things. The trucks I saw that were seized and destroyed were not fitted with rollcages, so they wouldn't have complied with US safety standards anyway.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Anyone got a link to the seizure warrant? I'm curious what it says.

I didn't think all the NAS spec were equipped with cages? Though most seem to be, could be wrong.

·
Registered
6,243 Posts
Couldn't catch Mexicans coming out of the river with a butterfly net, but they send out the cavalry to track down a 30 year old British truck with a missing catalytic converter. :shaking:

THANK YOU OBAMA... for saving us from 40 trucks with 3 micrograms/cubic meter too MUCH carbon emissions! :flipoff2:

·
whatever
1,500 Posts
This is based on seizures related to a dealership in NC that is under investigation. There have been 2 seizures, one last year and now this one. Here's a pdf of the warrant used to gain evidence…speculate away but understand only enough info was used by the lead investigator to gain a warrant for arrest of the vehicles. Has nothing to do with NAS roll cages…

Can't seem to upload the .pdf, pm me a email and I'll send it to you.

here's a link, this may be easier:
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54930&page=35

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
This is based on seizures related to a dealership in NC that is under investigation. There have been 2 seizures, one last year and now this one. Here's a pdf of the warrant used to gain evidence…speculate away but understand only enough info was used by the lead investigator to gain a warrant for arrest of the vehicles. Has nothing to do with NAS roll cages…

Can't seem to upload the .pdf, pm me a email and I'll send it to you.

here's a link, this may be easier:
Homeland Security took my 110 - Page 35 - Defender Source
Direct link to PDF: www.defendersource.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=98945&d=1405714367

The table on page 16 and 17 says it all really. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
There are no vehicles with a real age of 25 or more on that list.

·
whatever
1,500 Posts
Direct link to PDF: www.defendersource.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=98945&d=1405714367

The table on page 16 and 17 says it all really. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
There are no vehicles with a real age of 25 or more on that list.
That's actually being contested, seems LRNA may have made a mistake with some of the data provided to get the warrant. Even if age is wrong, they have the trucks and most have 300tdi/td5 engines in them. Guess what, they aren't legal to install in a US, regardless if they were installed in the UK (which makes the truck illegal to import into the US) or here, as they are NOT type accepted engines in the eyes of the EPA.
The have been seized, haven't been destroyed yet and if any of these guy's think they are going to get them back, need to put the pipe down.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
That's actually being contested, seems LRNA may have made a mistake with some of the data provided to get the warrant. Even if age is wrong, they have the trucks and most have 300tdi/td5 engines in them. Guess what, they aren't legal to install in a US, regardless if they were installed in the UK (which makes the truck illegal to import into the US) or here, as they are NOT type accepted engines in the eyes of the EPA.
The have been seized, haven't been destroyed yet and if any of these guy's think they are going to get them back, need to put the pipe down.
If it was imported with a 300tdi or TD5 then it's foul of the rules isn't it? Neither of those are 25 years old.

From reading that warrant if a vehicle over 25 years old (without vin tampering or chassis/engine swaps) is imported then it is exempt. Once in the US you can swap an engine and it's about internal US emissions. Nothing to do with customs & import.

·
Registered
107 Posts
If it was imported with a 300tdi or TD5 then it's foul of the rules isn't it? Neither of those are 25 years old.

From reading that warrant if a vehicle over 25 years old (without vin tampering or chassis/engine swaps) is imported then it is exempt. Once in the US you can swap an engine and it's about internal US emissions. Nothing to do with customs & import.
I'm pretty sure you can't legally run a 300 in the states as it's not approved and not old enough to be exempt (think by EPA)... You can do a 200 though... Engine swap stateside I mean... No 25 year old defender or older came with one..

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I'm pretty sure you can't legally run a 300 in the states as it's not approved and not old enough to be exempt (think by EPA)... You can do a 200 though... Engine swap stateside I mean... No 25 year old defender or older came with one..
One guy on Reddit says his 83 was seized, but he's silent about what engine was fitted to that 83 before it was imported.
I'd expect it wasn't the 2.5NA or whatever it originally was built with in 1983.

·
Registered
11 Posts
One guy on Reddit says his 83 was seized, but he's silent about what engine was fitted to that 83 before it was imported.
I'd expect it wasn't the 2.5NA or whatever it originally was built with in 1983.
But is it really an '83? As we all know you can make a 110/Defender of almost any age look like something else with enough parts AND throw in some chassis number tampering he might have something completely different.

John

1 - 20 of 23 Posts