Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been thinking about steering wheels for my buggy build, i want something small since im pretty tall (6'3") and my buggy (styled after a flatfender) is gonna be fairly small. yeah im gonna run a quick disconnect on the wheel for entry/exit, but i want the wheel to be pretty small so i can carry it with me when i park the buggy (it will be street driven sometimes) and so my knees dont get too friendly with it.

so those who have run small wheels, where did u get them? what size? do you like it? any unexpected problems or gripes with how it drives, handles, etc?

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
i got a 14 inch on my full hydro no problems. You could drive it without it if ya wanted

·
Registered
753 Posts
I believe mines 10", its the smallest aftermarket wheel I could find...

No problems.... except people sometimes make fun of it....

I have done a section of trail with no-power steering belt, and full hydro... it was tough, but I made it... co-pilot only had to help me with the wheel once!

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
I am pretty tall as well, 6'4''. I originally had a 15'' wheel and it hit my knees. I switched to a 13'' and it's much better. You can buy the small wheels at any sand car shop.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I put a 10.25" grant on my buggy and I love it, some of the small wheels are kinda price, but I found this one from summit for $20

·
Registered
12,010 Posts
reddman said:
Been thinking about steering wheels for my buggy build, i want something small since im pretty tall (6'3") and my buggy (styled after a flatfender) is gonna be fairly small. yeah im gonna run a quick disconnect on the wheel for entry/exit, but i want the wheel to be pretty small so i can carry it with me when i park the buggy (it will be street driven sometimes) and so my knees dont get too friendly with it.

so those who have run small wheels, where did u get them? what size? do you like it? any unexpected problems or gripes with how it drives, handles, etc?

The big factor with how it drives with that small a wheel is how many turns lock to lock you have. Since you want to drive it on the street sometimes - with that small a wheel you would want probably over 4 turns lock to lock.

I have about four turns with my stock steering wheel(pretty big) and is fine on the freeway.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
im at about 4-1/2 turns now, thinkin about getting a new orbital that will get me around 3 turns.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
im at about 4-1/2 turns now, thinkin about getting a new orbital that will get me around 3 turns.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
12,010 Posts
reddman said:

I had 3 turns and switched to more. One little movement at freeway speeds was scary - hit a bump and your arm moves a little and you nearly swap it around.:eek: Shifting at speed is another scary thing. It is much more stable now at about 4 turns and still having the big wheel.

The small steering wheel would only compound the problems described.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Budd said:
Shifting at speed is another scary thing.
im runnin an auto so not an issue for me. i didnt think about the suspension bumps with the small wheel, thats a good point.

maybe i will stick with the orbital valve i have now and just go to a wheel in the 10 inch range, and see how that acts before i try changing to a faster valve.

8" would feel too much like an arcade game to me, but it would buy me some valuable knee room.

hmm, maybe i should have a "road" wheel thats like 10-12" and a 8" for the rough stuff. nah.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts