Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this thing used and bench tested it right away. Was told it had less than 100 miles just they decided to go with a normally open diff instead. Everything worked fine, installed and checked with shop air all good. Axle was assembled and sat awhile but during compressor check worked fine. Last minute function check before going wheeling damn thing unlocks and never locked again. Only thing that changed was I put gear oil in the diff. I tried calling Yukon tech support today and no answer/no call back. I thought this thing was supposed to default to locked if something failed but here I am with a damned paper weight in my front axle of my new buggy.

I pulled both shafts thinking something was sticking or the housing was bent welding the truss and it's still stuck open. I've tried shop air on it and vacuum on the line. Compressor in buggy is a Rover air ride unit with a Viair pressure switch and -3 line but it wont cycle with shop air either. I'm about ready to pull the thing out and take it apart. Anyone else have issues like this? I know I did a install on another one for a friend and it works perfect.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I had this happen to me. Bought a locker from a reputable racer who had just had it looked at by a reputable shop. Assembled the axle. It was locked. Hit it with air and it unlocked to never lock again. Turns out when they reassembled the locker they didn’t twist the “cage?” To lock it into the lock ring and the air would push it open but the spring couldn’t pull it locked. Easy fix once the locker is out. It was a bitch to get out with a fresh preload. It’s in and works good now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FYI I got it opened up and found the plastic part broken down the side and all the tabs sheered off, the retaining pin that holds the cross pin in sheared and one of the spiders friction welded to the crosspin. So much for the low mileage working unit I bought,

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah IDK at this point I don't care much. 3 of the 4 spin freely 1 is locked so tight I can't drive the pin out with a brass drift and a hammer. I've got a new locker on the way to get back up and running. I missed 2 trips out already cause of this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts