Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
E-Locker or Bust!
4,271 Posts

·
E-Locker or Bust!
4,271 Posts
#56 is the dust shield. You sure it gets discarded? I think #58 (thrust washer) is what gets discarded, correct?

·
E-Locker or Bust!
4,271 Posts
@DMANbluesfreak

Throw that crapastic spindle seal in the river

This one is 1,000s better.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1119959&cc=1127023
Timken 710413 looks like the seal from the Spicer 708084 kit (for 92-97 Ford D60).

Now that I look at this again, it looks like in the Spicer 708084 kit, there is a replacement inner seal for the spindle side, and a replacement outer seal for the axle shaft side. Both would be required to work with my setup, no?

I agree that Timken 710413 looks identical to the one seal in the Spicer kit, but what about the other? Can I buy it separately? The kit is $60/side so if I can omit the cost of the spindle bearing, it'll likely cost me less.

EDIT: I think Timken 710414 appears to be correct. $5 on rockauto and the 710413 seal is $7.20. For $25 plus shipping, I'll buy them and see if they fit. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
I'm using that seal kit... it's no better than any other seal they've come out with for the spindle bearing. Still leaks and leaves you disappointed when you service hub bearings. They will be full of garbage. I've used every available seal kit for these, and they're all junk. Face it, unit bearings are the only way left to go from here.

·
E-Locker or Bust!
4,271 Posts
My truck will eventually get unit bearings... when I link it and run a 05+ Ford D60. But that's not any time soon. It'd be nice to get something that seals better.

Last night, I pulled the hubs to clearance my axle shaft yoke ears since the Yukon outers interfered with the factory inner shaft ears at full lock. One nice thing about taking the hubs off with the shafts still installed was it allowed me to confirm/deny my theory about the seal contact on the back of the spindle. On the driver's side it was exactly as I suspected where the lip seal touches the spindle at around .100" of stub shaft movement (.200" total). I'd be totally fine shimming it .120" or so. However, on the passenger side, it's nearly .180" of the .200" total play. I'm not sure I want to shim the passenger side until the thrust washer is essentially riding on the inside surface of the spindle full-time, since it doesn't appear Ford designed it to do so.

I'm not sure why there's such a large discrepancy between passenger and driver sides. I made sure both shafts had the dust shields pressed on all the way (which is what the seal rides on), so I find it strange. A few thousandth's difference would be one thing, but almost 3/32"?

41 - 48 of 48 Posts