Pirate 4x4 banner

Yukon Hardcore Locking Hubs Review

19K views 47 replies 30 participants last post by  DMANbluesfreak 
#1 ·
How are these holding up for everyone? Any issues yet? Breakage? They have been out for a while now figured someone might have found the breaking point?

#6 ·
Though I dont own a set of these, a buddy on here says the same thing about the lock/unlocking of them. Pretty much vice grip style to make the lockouts move from what I was told. I guess thats better than dealing with a broken hub often and being able to have the select-ability?

#8 ·
I've had mine be hard to unlock also, but it seemed to be because they were still loaded. So if i just let my rig roll alittle bit with the T-case in 2H then they turn just fine. Also if the cap screws are too tight or the O-ring around the dial isn't greased then they dont turn easy either.

#9 ·
Running them on my JK. Hard to unlock, and you need 4 hands to install them. On the set I got, the spring diameter was bigger than the puck diameter, which made it a bitch to slide it all in at once.

The puck itself is about half the thickness of most drive flange pucks, but they have been holding up great so far, much better than the Warns and MMs I was breaking all the time.

#11 ·
I've had them on my dd/wheeler front 60 since they were first released.

I have zero problems with them unlocking, but I unlock them after I have the truck in 2wd when I'm getting ready to get back in the main roads. Weird you guys are having problems.

I also run 5" bs trailreadys so the hubs see plenty of abuse. I used to run 6" bs dodge wheels and with those the hubs really stuck out. Plenty of abuse by my driving style and just from them sticking out and getting bashed on the rocks.

I am 110% satisfied with them.

#12 · (Edited)
Installed mine, one person, lock and unlock like butter. Make sure u follow directions and grease the piss outta them when installing. Also seriously torque the last allen bolts to 12lbs or whatever it was. too tight will cause them to be a bitch to turn. Haven't wheeled it yet , but I don't see them bein a weak point

#14 ·
Love mine too ran them with 47's and now 40" stickies.

Once you install them it all makes since, as to why they are so strong

Also when mine are hard to unlock I put the rig in 2wd and drive 20-30' and then the hubs turn like butter

#21 · (Edited)
It seems that these positively unlock, rather than normal ones that just unlock under spring tension.

If you have a load on something of that design you'll have to twist it really fawkin' hard to ramp the teeth over to disengage them. The clutch teeth will have an angle to them to stay engaged under load.

Bind your shit up in 4 locked and try and jerk the t-case out of engagement, it just don't work, for the exact same reason.

#22 ·
Mine are happy with a light film of grease on all the moving surfaces, unlock easily with the vehicle in 2wd. Sometimes have a bit of a delay locking due to spring lock, usually I spin the front driveshaft a few times back and forth by hand and they pop right in.

Because of how they unlock, not a good idea to put them on a spooled axle.

#24 ·
Mine work great. The torque spec on the caps makes a world of difference in locking/unlocking. I also find it easier to unlock them when in 2wd, if I roll in a straight line before I stop in 4wd I can still unlock them without too much fuss. I run H2 wheels so the lockouts stick out past the wheel just a little bit, but they haven't taken any damage yet (Not that many rocks to play on).

I did break one, but it was my fault. One of the caps on my u-joint broke and fell off and the stub shaft was wallowing around damaging one of the gears inside. I called up Yukon to purchase a replacement and ask if I should order any other parts and they sent me a new gear free of charge. :smokin: The only issue I had was the communication was slow on their part, but I got a free replacement when I didn't ask for one so it's definitely a wash.

Attachments

#25 ·
I put mine with the 4340 chromos in a few weeks ago and I love em. Unlocking was a bitch until I figured out to let it roll 20 or so ft then unlock em. My pass side was a bitch to lock because I didnt see that the hub itself was warped just enough to make it a pain in the ass to turn the dial. My truck weighs around 8000lb and I BEAT on these things, would recommend to anyone.

#26 ·
Just got mine installed over the weekend. Overall I'm pleased with the part quality and function of the lockouts, but I have a question about stub shaft endplay.

With the dial/cover removed from the setup, I can push/pull the stub shaft almost 1/4" inch before the snap ring contacts the drive gears. This would indicate to me that there isn't enough preload on the axle shaft to ensure a proper seal on the back side of the spindle (the axle shaft should be applying a tiny bit of preload to seal properly). This can lead to water ingress and dirt contamination within the hub.

Anyone know if this is common? Is there any danger in shimming between the axle shaft snap ring and the drive gears to keep the stub shaft from 'floating' as much?

#28 ·
I suppose I will! I think I even have a chunk of aluminum I can machine into the spacer for lightness (real reason: easier to machine).

I played around with it today to make double sure. Jacked the truck up and spun each wheel with the hub in free spin mode and moved the axle shaft towards and away from the diff. No noticeable sounds came from the lockout so it's definitely adjusted correctly. I just assume Yukon played it safe and left more float. Heck even my old factory hubs had some play - which is sort of why I'm asking if it's ok to space things out to make a better seal.

#29 ·
I suppose I will! I think I even have a chunk of aluminum I can machine into the spacer for lightness (real reason: easier to machine).

I played around with it today to make double sure. Jacked the truck up and spun each wheel with the hub in free spin mode and moved the axle shaft towards and away from the diff. No noticeable sounds came from the lockout so it's definitely adjusted correctly. I just assume Yukon played it safe and left more float. Heck even my old factory hubs had some play - which is sort of why I'm asking if it's ok to space things out to make a better seal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.