Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been shopping around for gears for a set of super duty axles, d50/10.5, and reading quite a bit. I always thought Yukon was supposed to be good stuff, but in my recent reading I've read them called jewkon and a few other undesirable names. Am I missing something? I did notice that Yukon is $100+/- more than other brands. But just assumed maybe better Q.C. than other "lesser" brands. If Yukon is a rip-off, what would be a good brand gears and install kit to use? I've been thinking about the ronsmachineshop eBay elite gear package but at 750 bucks is the $100 savings worth it? I don't want junk but I don't want to spend a mint either. The axle regear is so far going to be the most expensive portion of my econolines build. Having the transmission freshened is only going to be about half the total of the axles.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
I've been shopping around for gears for a set of super duty axles, d50/10.5, and reading quite a bit. I always thought Yukon was supposed to be good stuff, but in my recent reading I've read them called jewkon and a few other undesirable names. Am I missing something? I did notice that Yukon is $100+/- more than other brands. But just assumed maybe better Q.C. than other "lesser" brands. If Yukon is a rip-off, what would be a good brand gears and install kit to use? I've been thinking about the ronsmachineshop eBay elite gear package but at 750 bucks is the $100 savings worth it? I don't want junk but I don't want to spend a mint either. The axle regear is so far going to be the most expensive portion of my econolines build. Having the transmission freshened is only going to be about half the total of the axles.
Yukon's prices have gotten pretty out of hand. I hate G2 gears, but its hard to argue with their "no questions asked" warranty and reasonable prices

·
Registered
VerticalScope Sucks
22,734 Posts
Their prices are not in line with what they're selling... Sorta. You can regularly get their stuff on sale or below MSRP, and then it's probably not a bad deal.

It does piss me off that I have a set of their 4340 shafts, and their hardcore hubs, and I had to grind the fuck out of the shafts so they would fit with the hubs. :laughing:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Their prices are not in line with what they're selling... Sorta. You can regularly get their stuff on sale or below MSRP, and then it's probably not a bad deal.

It does piss me off that I have a set of their 4340 shafts, and their hardcore hubs, and I had to grind the fuck out of the shafts so they would fit with the hubs. <a href="http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/images/smilies/laughing.gif" border="0" alt="" title="laughing" >:)</a>
I'd be pretty jacked myself. I had a suburban with the Yukon axle shafts maybe ten years ago or so. If they weren't given to me I'd have just bought some junkyard replacements, but they fit fine. Sounds like for the price the quality control or maybe just the whole manufacturing process has gone downhill.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yukon's prices have gotten pretty out of hand. I hate G2 gears, but its hard to argue with their "no questions asked" warranty and reasonable prices
Are gears like cam cores, I mean in that most of them are all made in a plant in Indonesia or somewhere then shipped out to the big name brand companies to be finished or boxed up? I'm trying to keep costs reasonable but don't want to waste money on junk or overpay for a big name and if I'm lucky, a sticker. Especially if I can get the exact same thing for less in a different box.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I also haven't heard any good or bad about the elite gears from Ron's on eBay, but the price is about in the middle from what I'm seeing. I wish these axles were as cheap to regear as the little Dana's in jeeps. But I guess you gotta pay to play.

·
Registered
VerticalScope Sucks
22,734 Posts
I'd be pretty jacked myself. I had a suburban with the Yukon axle shafts maybe ten years ago or so. If they weren't given to me I'd have just bought some junkyard replacements, but they fit fine. Sounds like for the price the quality control or maybe just the whole manufacturing process has gone downhill.
I think it's because they've grown a lot and don't really think about the consequences of their entire product line. They make the shafts long because that's probably better than too short, they make the hubs tight because that's what people want (low profile). There literally is an entire 100 page thread of people fucking around to make those hubs work correctly, and if Yukon had just included a few different sized spacers (they're literally a small piece of DOM tubing cut to the right length) it would have saved a ton of people a ton of time/trouble (that was not what my problem was, my shafts were literally too long and hit the dials, which jammed the dials, so you could not turn the hubs).

Another piss off was I bought a D44 Zip Locker. If I'd really hunted through the warnings and notes I'd have known it was drilled for the wrong sized ring gear bolts (I forget the specifics, but it was drilled for the larger bolts used in the Viper and certain "Super 44" kits, which you would probably never ever use a Zip with since car guys don't run air lockers, and the Super 44 kits came with a locker) but they did sell sleeves to use with 99.9% of applications that take the smaller bolts... But they don't just include them with the locker. :confused: So of course I go to throw the locker in the axle, realize the bolts are hotdogging a hallway, get annoyed and find out I need some sleeves at $5/each or some garbage. So I put everything on backburner for a month waiting for them to show up (that's me, not Yukon, I work a weird schedule), then go to throw it together and realize their sleeves, which are literally meant only for this stupid situation that they created, are actually not long enough to do anything really meaningful anyways. Yes, I know, it's a friction clamp, you don't need them, it just offends me to install a bolt in a hole that's way too fucking big.

Why didn't they drill the holes for 99.9% of applications, and put in the notes that if you're installing an air locker in your Dodge Viper that you might need to ream the holes? :confused:

The Zip Locker had other massive pissoffs because of the clear lack of effort on their end. The switch didn't have a pinout or diagram, nor a matching plug so you could install it cleanly, so you get to figure that out and decide what hack installation method offends you least, the bulkhead fitting for the airline is total jank (in their defense the ARB is as bad or worse), and the air switch came with an electrical connector on it which they didn't give you the matching half to. Way to put no fucking effort in, fuckfaces, I'll pay $20 more if you give me the small parts I need to actually install it cleanly.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Fuckfaces indeed, I agree 100%. Yeah it sounds like things have really went South since the early 2000s. I have a couple buddies that swore by Yukon in their one tonned jeeps, I was always that guy in low range with my 3.08 10 bolts because I was cheap. Now I'm more into paying extra for something that will last and not give me a bunch of issues just to use it.

Air locker in a viper lmao that's hilarious.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I always think of Yukon as affordable entry level stuff. I have bought or 1541 shafts for my 9 inch. I would never call them high end and I think their best product is probably their hubs.
I'm not going to be doing anything hard core with the Econoline, so entry level will probably be more than good enough, for hubs IL more than likely just buy Ford replacements unless I find a deal on some higher quality hubs. I've heard that the warn premiums aren't so premium anymore, at least for the price.

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
The few Yukon pieces I have (shafts & hubs) were so cheap, I got nothin to complain about. :grinpimp:

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Yukon's listed prices are always super high, but you can usually shop around and get it for quite a bit less. I've bought stuff from Wayne Hartwig on here at like 30%+ less than Yukon's listed prices.

·
Banned
7,230 Posts
I always think of Yukon as affordable entry level stuff. I have bought or 1541 shafts for my 9 inch. I would never call them high end and I think their best product is probably their hubs.
Have yet to run them... but have read the grizzly is suppose to be a better version of the Detroit. Full case locker goes, you only have two choices.

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
Yukon's listed prices are always super high, but you can usually shop around and get it for quite a bit less.
It was Amazon for me... 4340 shafts @ $55 each, or the locking hubs @ $64 each. :D

Yukon also makes a variety of small parts (seals, bearings, etc) available that can otherwise be difficult to source.

I think you gotta be a parts snob for the hate.

·
Registered
VerticalScope Sucks
22,734 Posts
It was Amazon for me... 4340 shafts @ $55 each, or the locking hubs @ $64 each. :D

Yukon also makes a variety of small parts (seals, bearings, etc) available that can otherwise be difficult to source.

I think you gotta be a parts snob for the hate.
That's a deal. :eek:

Hmm, I never thought of running their P/Ns through Amazon. I do it for other stuff.

There's a couple vendors on here that usually can hook a guy up pretty good with their stuff though.

·
Registered
VerticalScope Sucks
22,734 Posts
Have yet to run them... but have read the grizzly is suppose to be a better version of the Detroit. Full case locker goes, you only have two choices.
I think Yukon has done a good job with their lockers. It's just the supporting/package issue that I find frustrating. I have a 14 bolt Grizzly or whatever it is (lunchbox) and it works beautifully, never know it's there unless you drive like a dickbag on the street, and it has performed flawless offroad so far. The Zip locker I bought works great, but I did blow the air line the last time I was out (stupid nylon airbrake hose like all of them run, I need to take a day and redo it all in nickel-copper or steel at some point, regardless the failure was on me), and the rest of the shit about their choices for what's included and whatnot is just a pissoff. That said, it was less than half the price of an ARB and I think it is actually every bit as good, if not superior in some aspects, however there just isn't enough people using them yet to have statistical data to back that up.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Yukon always treated us well and we didn't have issues with any of their products, other than SuperJoints... but that's another thread.

Definitely shop around for something below MSRP... maybe try Letzroll OffRoad?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 20 of 36 Posts