Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hehe not really - Thought I'd show you all what we have been working on - Some desert race stuff -Its a heat sink -We got tired of the sizes not being what we wanted so we milled our hearts out of a solid piece - Took about 3 hours and allot of chips and coolant- But we have what we wanted - A cooler slip over 50 miles of the worst whoops ever- JEss:D

Attachments

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
whats the angle on those u-joints?

·
Registered
12,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
These are for desert race - The slips get hotter than fuk -now they are not so hot -hehe- And these are 1410 1/2 shafts 38 degree capable- Jess

·
Registered
12,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
here's a oic of 38 degree's on a 26 " long 1/2 shaft- this technoligy is spilling into the 4wd market also- These 1/2 shafts can take up to 4500 ft-bls- we have a set that can handle up to 10,000 so far- Jess

Attachments

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Post umber 6 says it reduces heat by 38 degrees, not sure if that's celcius or farenheit, but it could make the difference between the grease melting and flowing out or staying vicus and lubing the stip-joint. I doubt you biuld up much, if any, heat in a street truck, or a rock buggy, but in a desert axel when you have the wheel moving up and down 24" a few times a second there's a lot of heat generated.

Definitly a cool idea, I'd guess that in a few years you'll see similar devices on most if not all desert buggies.

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts
Post umber 6 says it reduces heat by 38 degrees, not sure if that's celcius or farenheit, but it could make the difference between the grease melting and flowing out or staying vicus and lubing the stip-joint. I doubt you biuld up much, if any, heat in a street truck, or a rock buggy, but in a desert axel when you have the wheel moving up and down 24" a few times a second there's a lot of heat generated.

Definitly a cool idea, I'd guess that in a few years you'll see similar devices on most if not all desert buggies.
It doesn't say it reduces heat 38 degrees, I think that is the cv joint angle.

Jess, have you experimented with the size and orientation of the fins? With the speed the driveshaft turns you might be able to get more cooling with the fins sideways. http://www.animatedsoftware.com/pumpglos/teslapum.htm

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Must have read that completely wrong then, I know he mentioned the number in another post somewhere and I beleive it was between 30 and 40 degrees.

EDIT, found it, he was talking about a slightly different design, but I imaginge the numbers are similar from post #29 here http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=579409&page=2

here's a pic of the smaller one almost done- the heat sink took 50 degree's away at 1000 rpms in 30 seconds- We are very happy with the results-118" of cooling surface- :D -HAs anyone ever seen a greace-able heat sink ? This whole unit will hold aprox 1/2 of a canister of Desert gold (cat gold) -Jess

·
Registered
12,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the heat is 50 degree's cooler at 1000 rpms in 30 seconds- And they do get hot enough to melt boots out running the whoops- the other desing fins do not work quite as efficent -there about 1/2 as good- the funning thing about aluminum those fins don't get above 94 degree's farenheit -the slip during the heat test was around 180 - and it cooled quite quickly -as for different styles we have mechanically tested these -and this is the closest best so far- Here's a production heat sink- 118 " of exchange area- But comes in the smaller Id size -does not fit all -Jess

·
thhhpptthh!
46,717 Posts
jesse- you need to sculpt those fins so that they scoop air inbetween them while rotating. they need to have a pitch like a fan blade.

as they are right now you are loosing a metric shitton of performance out of them.

although, machining them that way is going to cost ya.

·
Registered
12,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know there is a better desgin for the fins -But this is what we can machine at the present time- It does pull heat out -But its not nasa - thanks for the help -Jess

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
I know there is a better desgin for the fins -But this is what we can machine at the present time- It does pull heat out -But its not nasa - thanks for the help -Jess
if you want a bunch made, you could try the vendor on here that has the machine shop, D&D? I think, might be able to make you up a batch at a reasonable price,I know he has some mice machines:smokin:

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
jesse- you need to sculpt those fins so that they scoop air inbetween them while rotating. they need to have a pitch like a fan blade.

as they are right now you are loosing a metric shitton of performance out of them.

although, machining them that way is going to cost ya.

It actually wouldn't be that hard to get some angle in the blades, just use a 4th axis or an indexer if that's what you have and mill the fins off center.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Have you tried a sink finned about the other axis...I mean fins stretch around the shaft forming a sort of stacked plate setup? This way they rotate in the same plane as the incoming air from forward motion...might get better airflow?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts